Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am dropping off Tessie this Thursday at the SC for regular servicing so hopefully I get version 7.0. Though I don't know how much difference I will see since I don't have the sensors.

I would not get my hopes up. If the past is an indicator of today or the future, the SC's don't upload to owned cars within the first few days its available. No explanation why its this way, but that's what happened.

just took my first drive with autosteer and auto lane change...had a lot of oh wow moments and a couple oh sh*t ones too!

First of all, the car has a hard time recognizing the dotted lane lines but is ok with a solid line on either side. It only recognized the fast lane on H-2 and was great in the zipper (where there's a solid yellow line). I left my hands on the steering wheel and its amazing how many little corrections the car makes to stay centered.

So because it doesn't recognize the dotted lane lines, when I when to auto lane change to the lane to the right of the fast lane, it went to the lane and then immediately veered back to the fast lane since it couldn't read the lane lines. Oh sh*t! Scared the hell out of me. It also had a bias to one side at some points though veering pretty close to the edge of the lane a few times.I quickly took control again.

Overall, I think it's a great feature...needs work though..hence the autosteering (beta) title in the update notes. And it will take time to get to used to it..Gives new meaning to "look mom, no hands!"

just took my first drive with autosteer and auto lane change...had a lot of oh wow moments and a couple oh sh*t ones too!

First of all, the car has a hard time recognizing the dotted lane lines but is ok with a solid line on either side. It only recognized the fast lane on H-2 and was great in the zipper (where there's a solid yellow line). I left my hands on the steering wheel and its amazing how many little corrections the car makes to stay centered.

So because it doesn't recognize the dotted lane lines, when I when to auto lane change to the lane to the right of the fast lane, it went to the lane and then immediately veered back to the fast lane since it couldn't read the lane lines. Oh sh*t! Scared the hell out of me. It also had a bias to one side at some points though veering pretty close to the edge of the lane a few times.I quickly took control again.

Overall, I think it's a great feature...needs work though..hence the autosteering (beta) title in the update notes. And it will take time to get to used to it..Gives new meaning to "look mom, no hands!"

Nanimac, thanks for the heads up about dotted lines. You are forgiven for downloading before me because my download just came in. Installing now.
I believe the dotted line lane markings is something Tesla could adapt to pretty quickly, but the engineers at Tesla may be unaware of your particular problem. Perhaps you can write something up, submit it to Felipe, and he can pass it along. You may help many Hawaii drivers by so doing.

Nanimac, thanks for the heads up about dotted lines. You are forgiven for downloading before me because my download just came in. Installing now.
I believe the dotted line lane markings is something Tesla could adapt to pretty quickly, but the engineers at Tesla may be unaware of your particular problem. Perhaps you can write something up, submit it to Felipe, and he can pass it along. You may help many Hawaii drivers by so doing.

I'm going to test it out for a few days and then write up something or talk to them at the airshow this weekend. Am kinda disappointed that it doesn't recognize the middle lanes...more reports to come..and a video too. Also pics of the new UI which I really like :) Still need to try out auto park too! Fun day! Am having a hard time focusing on work!

Papafox,
not sure if you attended the one brief when they talked about AutoPilot at TeslaConnect, but they too mentioned the (virtual) Oh! Sh*t moments in their tests. (White markings on white concrete roads)
for those that did not attend, it was mentioned that they have been collecting data from "you" (anonomously) since AutoPilot came out and periodically reviews sensor data to fine tune it and do more advanced testing.

I got the update notification!!! I hope its 7! loading now....

Ta-Daaa !! Got my notification via my iPhone. (Dsmith, iphones rule. The Tesla app notifies us of software updates.)

Sat in the car while the install occurred. My non-AP car installed the update in 44 minutes. At the end, the car shuts completely down and stays like that a couple of minutes. Then boots back up.

Ta-Daaa !! Got my notification via my iPhone. (Dsmith, iphones rule. The Tesla app notifies us of software updates.)

Sat in the car while the install occurred. My non-AP car installed the update in 44 minutes. At the end, the car shuts completely down and stays like that a couple of minutes. Then boots back up.

yes, iPhones are hot stuff, "Literally":scared: they need to have a fire extinguisher app.:cursing::crying:

Had a better experience with auto steer and auto lane change on the way home. I think more cars on the road (since it also tracks the car ahead of you )and better lane markings helped. Although I noticed the lane guides onscreen did black out sporadically when lighting was poor or lane guides were not as prominent. And I sometimes felt like the car was swerving a little on the curves with auto steer on and me still holding the steering wheel. I wondered if people thought I was driving under the influence...lol :scared:

overall, it's still an awesome feature but will take some getting used to to fully trust the car even with my hands still on the wheel. best car ever...still!!

- - - Updated - - -

The rollout seems pretty quick this time around....I remember waiting for weeks before!

I had some fun once i figured out how to engage the auto steering... but as Nanimac said, some scary times too, as our freeways need better lines, and the lines on the H1 Kaimuki side... Auto steer goes all over.... changing lanes is fun too... hope everyone else gets it soon if you haven't.

I had some fun once i figured out how to engage the auto steering... but as Nanimac said, some scary times too, as our freeways need better lines, and the lines on the H1 Kaimuki side... Auto steer goes all over.... changing lanes is fun too... hope everyone else gets it soon if you haven't.

I too had some fun once. But mine was shorted lived. I was toolin' down H3 and wanted to see how far it would travel on its own without me putting my hands back on the wheel. Didn't take as long as I expected to discover the AP doesn't work in a pre-AP MS. Hmmm, that was fun - but just once.

:smile::smile::smile: Sorry, could not resist.

I too had some fun once. But mine was shorted lived. I was toolin' down H3 and wanted to see how far it would travel on its own without me putting my hands back on the wheel. Didn't take as long as I expected to discover the AP doesn't work in a pre-AP MS. Hmmm, that was fun - but just once.

:smile::smile::smile: Sorry, could not resist.

Ha!

so how are the UI changes in the pre-AP cars?