Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS display in V7.0 with older sensors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, sorry if this has been addressed in another thread, I did a search and nothing seemed to be here. I have an MS from early 2014 with the older style TPMS sensors (Baolong I think). I just read a thread over at the Tesla Motors forum that stated that the older TPMS sensors will not register on the new display widget in V7.0. :confused: If anyone with a car prior to 55XXX(the new sensors supposedly came out after 55XXX) and has had the update could please let me know if the pressures do register or not, I would appreciate it. This is something that I have really been looking forward to. I can get a third party solution but the car should be able to recognize and report the pressure regardless if the sensor is the older style or the newer one.

Peace,

Father Bill

Yeah, that was the info I got at the Tesla Forum and the V7.0 for Classic MS thread here. I just ordered a third party TPMS from Amazon. Seems strange they couldn't work a solution for the old and new sensors. Thanks for the confirmation.

Peace,

Father Bill

Hi all, I talked with my SC and they said they are working on a retrofit that will give the TPMS dash widget info. They are working now with engineering to verify that the retrofit will work. The catch, $1000 for parts and installation. The service adviser stated there were 8 parts that need to be replaced. I told him that I was very interested, in fact I told him to go ahead and order the parts they needed. They really want to verify that it will work like we want it to before I spend any money. I will report back here as I have more information.

Peace,
Father Bill

Hi all, I talked with my SC and they said they are working on a retrofit that will give the TPMS dash widget info. They are working now with engineering to verify that the retrofit will work. The catch, $1000 for parts and installation. The service adviser stated there were 8 parts that need to be replaced. I told him that I was very interested, in fact I told him to go ahead and order the parts they needed. They really want to verify that it will work like we want it to before I spend any money. I will report back here as I have more information.

Peace,
Father Bill

The Service Bulletin from Corporate on this forbids SC's do to this except in cases of a system failure.

There are maybe 20,000 owners who’d pay to have this. At say $500 a pop that’s potential for $10 million in revenue on a very high margin product. It’s like turning their back on an profit making opportunity. I don’t get it. Tesla's management appears to have the worst understanding of the aftermarket business of any company I've ever seen. They don't seem to understand that it's a huge profit center. I alone have probably spent 10K on aftermarket stuff, very little of it with Tesla. I know many others who have spent that much or more.

Who makes these decisions? Hope it's not Elon.

just got confirmation from SC, older models requires both new sensors type and electronic hardware (receiver is different), based on that I just gave the go signal to Discount Tier to install a new set of 4 tires using the current sensors, I would have bought the tires from TM if that would have included an upgrade option.

I understand that new hardware is needed to tell which sensor is where, but can't the old hardware read each sensor individually? Would it be possible for Tesla to make a software solution, which would allow us to manually associate each sensor with a corner of the car?

I understand that new hardware is needed to tell which sensor is where, but can't the old hardware read each sensor individually? Would it be possible for Tesla to make a software solution, which would allow us to manually associate each sensor with a corner of the car?

That's what I was just thinking in the car a few minutes ago. If the sensors just each had a unique ID.
It could be set up in SW with a calibration "bump" that you would park on one tire at a time. Whichever one jumped UP in pressure is the one on the bump. Save (rename it) and put another tire on the Bump.

That's what I was just thinking in the car a few minutes ago. If the sensors just each had a unique ID.
It could be set up in SW with a calibration "bump" that you would park on one tire at a time. Whichever one jumped UP in pressure is the one on the bump. Save (rename it) and put another tire on the Bump.

I'm sure the sensors each have a unique ID. That's why there's a reset procedure when you change the sensors.