Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot test on curvy road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What stands out to me is that they need to get the auto-speed adjustment based on posted speed limits implemented. TACC works great based on you setting the speed and adjusting to other cars, but not based on speed limit changing. So when you get on a road like the one in the video you basically need to take over.

So autopilot does not slow down for turns. Seeing it fail in such a simple turn isn't very encouraging. Glare is kind of a common thing.

Really??? What were you expecting??? All of the early returns I've read have been very positive with essentially everyone being impressed, if not at least satisfied... Keep in mind this is a beta 1.0 and for what it does, it's impressive. What it doesn't do isn't surprising either and we'll get there eventually.

Jeff

Autopilot != Autonomous

That is all.
it is a bit irritating , isn't it, that so many people confuse autonomous and autopilot. Given that autopilot derives from aircraft butnobody thinks an autopilot can operate without constant management and intervention from a pilot. If somebody wants a drone
the y can go to Google Cars.

it is a bit irritating , isn't it, that so many people confuse autonomous and autopilot. Given that autopilot derives from aircraft butnobody thinks an autopilot can operate without constant management and intervention from a pilot. If somebody wants a drone
the y can go to Google Cars.

Ah, but I have a drone. It's full hands on, all the time. No Hands, Not Pretty.

Maybe I need an autonomous drone!

I would agree. I hope the car under AP will slow with turns and actually turn.

There are very few freeways, especially ones that adhere to the interstate standards, in the US that curve at very sharp angles. I can think of one in downtown Kansas City (I-70 east of downtown), but outside of that they are very few and far between. Given that this first release is targeting freeway driving, it would seem to me that it's met and exceeded those expectations thus far. The one tweak I see that's needed is better handling of exit ramps, but I'm sure that'll come with time.

Jeff