Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, many complaints seem to be cosmetic issues that I don't really care :)

Hearing about AP I feel less obligated to upgrade to AP cars; before, I was thinking a little bit about upgrading to an X. Now I think I won't use AP a lot because:
(1) of course I should pay attention with the same level as I'm actually driving. All I get is less foot fatigue?
(2) I really don't chase other cars. I always pass and drive alone. With AP it's difficult. I wish I would have "pass everyone as much as possible" mode in AP, rather than following somebody in front.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll use it either. Of course I'll try it out, but I like to drive. I do use cruise control for long stretches, but I'll shut it off around traffic. The only thing I think I would like to use is the parallel parking feature, but we don't have on the street parking here. I'm hoping my dashboard doesn't get changed too much. I like the current output.

Had the opportunity to test drive a P90DL w/AP while in Tampa and all I can say is, JAPAN HURRY UP!! ;-) Jay, have you heard anything further? We are coming up on 1 month since Global release now..... :-(

Hi susteki,

No, I haven't heard anything, just the news that Japanese law may have to be changed to allow autopilot on the road. I would have thought that was done since Japanese automakers are working on the same thing. It seems strange that it's taking so long. As I wrote above, I'm not sure I'll be using it much. I'm really happy with the present iteration of my car.

What is the situation in Japan with 7.0? Supposedly not approved? Any news on what actual law is stopping it?

We are now suffering the same situation in Hong Kong. Although in our case we can't find any law actually forbidding it, the Transport Department here are saying it is not legal until it is approved... and then not approving it.

Hi Mark, actually the government doesn't seem to be comfortable with how Tesla is working with them. They are really bad at working with govt. In Japanese culture, first to know should be govt. Then public. It is very bad for Elon to say "Japan is the last" in public.

It will take a while. If Tesla wants to go their own way, just release it and keep pushing. If they want to obey, then first thing they needed to do is to share the info with the govt.

Hi Hiroshi-san,

While I agree with your statement about the government should be the first to know.
At the same time I also believe that the Japanese government should be more open to change.
Elon comments, " Japan is the last" whether right or wrong in the Japanese governments eyes, it still true never-the-less.

I look at it as more of a challenge to Japan to get with the current times. Seems he is implying that every other country can do it, why does Japan have to be so different.

Hi Mark, actually the government doesn't seem to be comfortable with how Tesla is working with them. They are really bad at working with govt. In Japanese culture, first to know should be govt. Then public. It is very bad for Elon to say "Japan is the last" in public.

It will take a while. If Tesla wants to go their own way, just release it and keep pushing. If they want to obey, then first thing they needed to do is to share the info with the govt.

What gets me is the fact that Nissan has been showing hands-free driving commercials on TV for the past 6 months. These delays in approval for non-Japanese products/technologies smack of protectionism. The same thing happened with Amazon's Segway a few years ago.