Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Focus Group EU/ CH Charging Upgrade for Teslarodsters (all Versions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Focus Group EU/ CH Charging Upgrade for Teslarodsters (all Versions)

I propose, initiate a Closed Group, to develop a Charging Upgrade Solution for EU / CH, with the goal, to tell Teslamotors, the EU User Proposal for a Upgrade Kit, like Tom Sax did, for the US Users, or to find a independent Solution, coordinated with Teslamotors.

The EU solution needs more enginieering than the US one, because it is not respected in original specification.
(For example, Switzerland has the lowest ratet Standard Sockets in EU as 10A with 1.5mm2 C13A fused, 16A Sockets 2.5mm2 C16A fused, but a grid 3x230/400V with typical 20/25A per Client)

The Closed User Access, allows to bring in Information, not yet free for everybody. I started to send privat messiges, the disadvantage, not every Insider has the same information .

The first step is, to find, who is member of the Group, who is administrator of the Group.

I enjoy your proposal

EmQ Energy meets quality
CES TK 69 WG 4, Electric Vehicles Charging standardization CH (IEC 61851)

Last edited:
i would like to join the group. my idea would be to modify the current PEM by replacing the current Charger-Part by an liquid-coold vienna-type 3-phase charger with 32A like BRUSA is offering. I even think that the current 1-phase 70A charger part is quite clumpsy and heavy.

my first Idea was to start this Thread with a privat message to you Eberhard, because i find that is the rigth direction, than i prevered to start puplic.

Within guarantee, external solution is feasable,
After guarantee, internal solution are posible too.

The Brusa Peaple are friends of mine, since 20 Years, I worked with them in Mendrisio, in the 90es, to get Infrastructure for 230V 32A for Honda EVplus.
Then CH-TAB just upgraded 10A 230V 2200W max. to 16A 230V 3600W, That is still the limit for standard installation, acording D-A-CH-CZ-2007 Powerquality regulation above 16A, based on EN 50160 (Voltage characteristics of electricity in EU)

I asked The Brusa Peaple, to develop a Ultra Compact medium charger 16A 3x 230/400 11kW because mode 1, ist limited in switzerland to 16A, but they are quit busy with this Onboard charger for 32A 230/400V 22kW.

Last edited:
Although the idea is great, I think you don't need that much people at all.

The goal for the EU is (imho):
* 3-phase support
* IEC61196-2-2 connector on the car

I think the group can come up with some great ideas which we as EU Roadster users can than support.

Kevin #7 : "getting any effort from them when they are so focused on the Model S"

If i was responsable for Teslamotors, I would spend 99% R&D for the coming Model S, and 1% R&D for the Roadster, without production Perspectiv.

So i hope Teslamotors apreciate ouer energy to work on that issue.

Last edited:
"Eberhard #6" Teslamotors had a ACP license for the first 500 Roadsters. See: AC Propulsion's Reductive™ Charger" is part of.

I have a Tesla Powerpoint: "Power Electronics and Electric Vehicle Performance" that explanes that, but it is confidetial, i cant post it public.

You cant replace charging parts, they belong to the PEM, so with a aditional brusa charger, you need more space and get more weight.

If model S supports Chademo DC Charge, that might be an option for poweruser roadster upgrade.

Last edited:
Straubels presentation is very interesting. the charger is still being a part of he PEM but not of the drivetrain (security reasons and license of ac-propulsion as far as I know). instead a 70A single-phase it can also be a 3x 23.3 A charger. With the vienna charger system it cannot longer feed the grid, but is even more efficient and friendlier to the net because of creating less noise. Straubel did 3-phase charger for A-classe (3x16A). Some electronic freak has to open my PEM and check for the charging part. Maybe the charger is already organized out of several smaller ones?.

The goal for the EU is (imho):
* 3-phase support
* IEC61196-2-2 connector on the car
I suspect that Tesla will never get around to making this happen because they will always have other priorities in the future. Therefore, I would like to know whether anyone would be interested in helping me finance a third party effort to make these two modifications available to European Roadster owners?

I suspect that Tesla will never get around to making this happen because they will always have other priorities in the future. Therefore, I would like to know whether anyone would be interested in helping me finance a third party effort to make these two modifications available to European Roadster owners?

I have a quotaiton of the tecnologie leader for wireless Charging for a 5kW Demonstator and upgrade for 22kW. It is cheaper than a 22kW onboard charger and do not need a plug, is 3ph on Offboard and my college is convener of IEC Wireless charging focus group.

I hope Teslamotors will wake up

Last edited: