Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new and has a few questions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might sound silly but i am just trying do some research for my dad that is considering one.

please dont flame me if the questions seem stupid .. thanks in advance.

1. Why pick this car over a porsche GT3?
2. my stupid question ... this is 100% electric car? its not a part electric part gas is it.?:confused::biggrin:
( seems be 100% electric since i didnt see anything with gas milage etc...)
3. how is reliability on this car ? scale is 1-10 , 10 being the best. your opinion
4. any known issues on the 2011 models?

i have tried googling and searching but no answers thanks for the help all!

1. Porsche makes great cars, they are both great cars. The electric driving experience is completely different from an ICE car. The pedal response is more precise than an ICE car can be.
Test drive and buy a Tesla because you love that driving experience.
But most of the reasons are larger than the cars:
ICE cars are 20th century. Electric cars are 21st century. Be part of the new century. You could ask should I get a landline or a smartphone?
ICE cars are part of the problem. Electric cars are part of the solution. Be part of the solution.

2. 100% electric
3. I'd put mine at a 9, my Prius has had significantly more trouble over the same period.

1. Porsche makes great cars, they are both great cars. The electric driving experience is completely different from an ICE car. The pedal response is more precise than an ICE car can be.
Test drive and buy a Tesla because you love that driving experience.
But most of the reasons are larger than the cars:
ICE cars are 20th century. Electric cars are 21st century. Be part of the new century. You could ask should I get a landline or a smartphone?
ICE cars are part of the problem. Electric cars are part of the solution. Be part of the solution.

2. 100% electric
3. I'd put mine at a 9, my Prius has had significantly more trouble over the same period.

thanks for taking the time to respond this post!

its now for me its for my dad. He doesn't follow trends, just what he likes. i mean this is no cheap purchase for someone that is buying this. i could understand trying out a 20-50 grand car
but when getting into something more 100+ just need some info since you cannot find any data really about this car in the past 2 years at all. Its almost like they never did full reports on it only
kind of showed it in videos and in story/facts in magazines.

can anymore tell me how true the charges are when stating it will give you 200 miles for example. is it pretty close to the milages stated or is it pretty off...or somewhat close.

I'd recommend that he test drive one...he'll know right away if he likes it...(if he doesn't, check for a pulse)... :biggrin::wink:

There is lots of data around, you just need to find the right sources...this site is one of them!

thanks for taking the time to respond this post!

its now for me its for my dad. He doesn't follow trends, just what he likes. i mean this is no cheap purchase for someone that is buying this. i could understand trying out a 20-50 grand car
but when getting into something more 100+ just need some info since you cannot find any data really about this car in the past 2 years at all. Its almost like they never did full reports on it only
kind of showed it in videos and in story/facts in magazines.

can anymore tell me how true the charges are when stating it will give you 200 miles for example. is it pretty close to the milages stated or is it pretty off...or somewhat close.

Last edited:
Tesla a joy to drive, but not the easiest to get in and out of.

I would definitely test drive a Tesla, as they are a real joy to drive. Very stable on the road and incredible throttle response, and it looks great. I have never had a car where I felt so in control.

The only negatives I see is the car is not the best for trips as the charging infrastructure is not there is you need to go over 200 miles in a day. And the Tesla is very low to the ground with a high frame member you have to climb over. If you are in shape it is no big deal but if you have problem knees I would be careful.

The cars are hand built in Ca with VERY high quality control standards. For a new company is seems like there are very few problems or issues and if there is a problem Tesla appears to be VERY responsive.

But while the car is terrific to drive the main reason I purchased it is from an environmental view point. No gas, no fumes, no noise, just push you back in the seat acceleration and precise handling. I have not regretted my decision for a moment.

K to the T. No stupid questions on this forum and welcome to the future of electric cars. Like many of us roadster owners I am a previous Porsche owner. I would like to second the previous commenters suggestion he test drive both. They are very different experiences and lots of pro's and con's to both.

In brief, the Porsche will make a better daily driving car from a comfort standpoint. It's larger inside both for passengers and cargo space, it has more comfortable suspension (when not dialed in sport mode), easier to maneuver at slow speed (pulling out of parking spaces) with power steering, and lastly easier to get in and out.

After having the roadster for a week, I bet your Dad will be a convert to the real beauty of the roadster, amazing torque so every light and freeway on ramp is a launching pad with out ever breaking the speed limit. No gears to distract you from going from zero to whatever as fast as possible. Regen braking which is a different ease of driving experience, 90% of the time you only use one pedal the gas or "go" pedal as I call it. It's super quiet. He'll love never going to the gas station and the maintenance free aspect of the car. No messy oil/fluids to maintain.

Finally, he will love the way people respond to the car, everyone smiles at the Tesla and truly admires it. Porsche's have their lovers and haters, and you will hear from both segments when you are in one, whether you want to or not.

Lot's of reasons, but have him drive it. He may love it right off, or hate it. It will be his baby so it should be love/love relationship.

Erik

BTW, you asked about mileage. I drive pretty crazy when in standard mode, so I only get 145 to 150 miles in standard mode. Lots of punching the car from lights and stop signs.

When in range mode driving a calmly and keeping it at 60 mph on the free way I do get 240 miles, just like they say.

My average day is 40 miles so I drive any way I want (as hard as I want) park it in the driveway and it's fully charged by the morning to do it again.

E

Thanks all again for the fast response! He did indeed went and test drove it. said he loved it but he is pretty tall and my mom said that he had some issues getting in and out.... so i don't know if thats a bad thing already... he's 6'2' 6'3

i have not yet to hear anyone respond about that actual milage your suppose to get on a charge.... if its accurate or somewhat off. i mean 245 miles is a lot in a day but sometimes you have those days where you just drive down the tank in a day almost. I have been reading about how fast your going matters will drain it faster of course. but how much? if someone could provide some numbers. and how long is 245 miles suppose to total to in time like 3-4 hours? just a ball park b/c i know everyone drives different and the whole speed factor but i couldn't imagine it being that different from one another.

thanks again all

BTW, you asked about mileage. I drive pretty crazy when in standard mode, so I only get 145 to 150 miles in standard mode. Lots of punching the car from lights and stop signs.

When in range mode driving a calmly and keeping it at 60 mph on the free way I do get 240 miles, just like they say.

My average day is 40 miles so I drive any way I want (as hard as I want) park it in the driveway and it's fully charged by the morning to do it again.

E

thanks for the response erichmond! i did not see your post until i had posted my other one. lol Thanks for some insight it is very helpful to know that. Im sure he will be using it as a daily driver.

This might sound silly but i am just trying do some research for my dad that is considering one.

please dont flame me if the questions seem stupid .. thanks in advance.

1. Why pick this car over a porsche GT3?

Because it is cheaper and faster off the line?

2. my stupid question ... this is 100% electric car? its not a part electric part gas is it.?:confused::biggrin:
( seems be 100% electric since i didnt see anything with gas milage etc...)

Yes, completely electric, with a nice big battery.

3. how is reliability on this car ? scale is 1-10 , 10 being the best. your opinion

I've heard of people having "teething troubles" (I had one myself; a shorted wire that took ages to diagnose), but generally speaking they seem to be ultra-reliable.

4. any known issues on the 2011 models?

Not that I've heard of.

Greg.

Thanks all again for the fast response! He did indeed went and test drove it. said he loved it but he is pretty tall and my mom said that he had some issues getting in and out.... so i don't know if thats a bad thing already... he's 6'2' 6'3

Martin Ebehard the guy the built the Tesla is 6'2" (ish) I know one driver who is 6'5". It's up to your dad. Remind him and your mom that us tall drivers pull off the sun visors and replace the mirror with a Lotus micro mirror for better forward visibility.

I have the same exact experience. I am a daily driver with about a 30 mile round trip commute. But then I will go to lunch or run errands most days. I drive pretty aggressively and usually plug in every other day or so. I think I have only charged in range mode once since most of my trips are under 150 miles round trip. One note on driving aggressively is that you will have to replace the tires - especially the rear ones - more often. I've had mine over a year now driving about 5 days a week and it still a little awkward for me to get in and out so I wouldn't worry too much about that :) I'm only 5'9" but I took off the driver side visor which greatly improves visibility when you are at a light. I've had a few minor things go wrong in mine but Tesla has been extremely responsive in bringing people to my home or arranging to send the car down to their store. My wife and I both still love driving this car after 1 year as we did on day one.

My previous car was a 911 - not a GT3, but an all-wheel drive Cabriolet (2000 model year). My wife asks me if I miss it every now and again - I think she liked the electric top and the greater ease of getting in an out. I don't miss it at all. The 911 was the biggest car I've owned - too big. Porky. Felt it. The Roadster, after two years of practice, slips on like a custom made glove.

- Launching the 911 was tricky. Took concentration. And even then it wasn't that quick (but hey, I know the GT3 is quicker, and not having AWD helps). The Roadster? No brainer, point and shoot, no chance of embarrassment (except for the guy revving his engine next to you). The 911 was fun when I had it, it wouldn't be fun now - I've known better.

- I have a 2008 - I love the super-spartan interior. And as much as the JVC has been maligned, I actually really like it (works with my new black iPod like a charm) - especially compared to the fiddly, over-buttoned 911 radio. Heck, that goes double for the HVAC. The 911's HVAC controls were very obtuse. Actually, everything about the 911's interior felt like they put all their thought into the driving bits, and not as much into the non-driving bits. Not as bad as a BMW iDrive, but not smooth or intuitive by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe they've improved?

- I don't miss gas stations. Not one bit. If I know I'm taking a long trip, I charge at home. No, I can't do road trips to Tahoe without extra planning, but then, the 911 isn't a road trip car, either. I started timing my gas station visits near the end: 8 minutes, not including the time to drive out of the way. I start with a full charge any time I think I might need it - it takes so little time to plug in that it's not something to avoid like a gas station.

- The 911 was expensive for maintenance. If I amortized everything over the time I had the car - new soft top, new clutch, yada yada - it's at least twice as expensive as the Roadster per year. If I add in fuel vs. electric costs, wow - it's was more than triple.

Beyond that, it's really cool owning the future, rather than something anchored in the past.

1. If your regular drive is over 170 miles per day get the Porsche. Otherwise the Tesla, is faster in regular driving, charges at home instead of the gas station, regen braking is a great new way of driving, and its supporting a new way of transportation which needs everyone who can afford it.
2. 100% electrric
3. I'm over 10k and no problems that Tesla did not offer to to fix at my convience.
4. Mine is a 2010 and yes tires are expensive as I have sport and the car needs them because of its acceleration.