Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
*Moderator Note: If you are coming to this thread just to confirm that you have or have not gotten V7.0, please use the following wiki for that sort of thing and do not clutter up this already very long thread with that: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

It seems that there is no official "Firmware 7.0" sticky thread yet. There are a bunch about the beta leaks, autopilot lane-keeping not being available yet, etc.

But now that we have an "official" date from Elon, regardless how realistic each of us thinks this is, I figured it was time to summarize what we know about the official, non-beta 7.0 firmware and make it a sticky for when reports of upgrades in non-beta production cars become a reality.

First off, here's the official announcement from Elon about releasing it this upcoming Thursday 15 October 2015 (10/15/15):

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.18.22 PM.png

And that it will roll out over about 5 days, worldwide:

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.24.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.24.57 PM.png

Non-autopilot cars will also get some updates, but more is coming in 7.1:

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.21.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.25.42 PM.png

And finally, a confirmation that self-parking is included in 7.0 but not yet in garages (that will be in 7.1):

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.26.58 PM.png

There, I think I've covered it all for now.
I'll keep updating this post for the next 24 hours, so please let me know if I've missed anything *official*.

Again, no speculation about what may or may not be included please.
Only facts about what's been announced from Tesla via official communication and what we will be observing once it finally rolls out.

Here's to a timely delivery of 7.0 on 10/15/2015!
:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I didn't miss those other threads, as a matter of fact I'm subscribed to most of them.

The purpose of this one is to have an official Firmware 7.0 sticky with all the actuals of this much-anticipated release, just like we do for Firmware 6.2 (and had for prior releases).

Afrer a few false starts, I think the mods will agree it's time to make a sticky thread on the eve of a massive wave of 7.0 upgrades we'll be getting very shortly - or so I hope!

Like the semi-autonomous features already seen on high-end vehicles such as the BMW 7 Series and theVolvo XC90, the software allows the Model S to auto-steer on motorways, and even parallel park semi-autonomously.

What’s more, a new lane change feature means Model S owners will be able to change motorway lanes with the click of an indicator. The software will use a radar system, combined with 12 sensors positioned at key locations around the car – and it’s these sensors that the new driverless features will utilise.

swweet!!!!

Last edited:
Like the semi-autonomous features already seen on high-end vehicles such as the BMW 7 Series and theVolvo XC90, the software allows the Model S to auto-steer on motorways, and even parallel park semi-autonomously.

What’s more, a new lane change feature means Model S owners will be able to change motorway lanes with the click of an indicator. The software will use a radar system, combined with 12 sensors positioned at key locations around the car – and it’s these sensors that the new driverless features will utilise.

swweet!!!!

What driverless features?

By "driverless" one could mean that the person sitting in the driver's seat does not need to keep their hands on the wheel or their foot on the accelerator pedal when Autopilot is engaged.
Others could say that the term "driverless" means that no human driver input is required for the car to move -- starting from a speed of zero -- from one location to another location and then coming to a full stop, safely. Many would call that "autonomous" driving. Tesla Autopilot is not yet capable of doing that, of course.
Different people use the same term to mean different things, especially when describing new technology and its capabilities.

Tesla_V7_On_The_Road_17.png

Update:
The 1:24 mark has a clearer picture.

Using the video here to compare:

Squinting, I think I see...

Top row:
- Looks like temperature removed.
- Battery icon now vertical.
- Charging button.
- User profile.
- Tesla T ("about" button).
- Bluetooth.
- Wifi (inactive).
- Airbag text for a market different than mine.
- Clock.

App row same as before (but text removed relative to official video): Music, Nav, Calendar, Energy, Web, Camera, Phone.

Last edited:
I hope the roll-out is really 5-days as mentioned in Elon's tweet, and not 3 months like all the other previous non-emergency updates. I think that alone will reduce the number of "I got it / didn't get it" posts.