Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Vs KWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is a noob question but I was wondering what is the long term impact of the battery life on my car's performance specs.

Say if I lose 30% battery capacity after 6 years and 120,000 miles and my 85D becomes a 60D, does it also mean that my 0-60 in 4.2s becomes to 0-60 in 5s or more? I don't believe that'll happen but just wanted to be sure.

Regarding kW (power) versus kWh (energy) of MS, I think there would be some correlation between health of battery versus the motor kW output. This is gleaned from the P85D performance being battery SoC dependent. Non-performance MS is less limited by battery SoC for motor kW output, therefore I would not worry too much. I also hope you don't lose 30% battery capacity after 6 years and 120,000 miles.

Apparently the battery is still 400 V, but the voltage sag under high load is greater as a result of internal resistance increases in the cells. This equals less peak power. My car has seen 3 85 kWh packs over its lifetime. I can tell you that the peak power output varied pack to pack.