Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration and Weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A post from a while ago got me thinking about the stated acceleration time of the Model S in that it maybe low. I took a look at some other 'ev' vehicles to compare against and thought I would post this out of interest.

Based on my simplistic view, it seems likely that the Model S is either much heavier than 4000lbs, the available power is less than 300kw or it has the potential to accelerate from 0-60 faster than 5.6 seconds.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1739&d=1304092449.gif

Some of the information Sources:
Tesla Roadster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BYD e6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
General Motors EV1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Toyota RAV4 EV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fisker Karma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mitsubishi i MiEV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ev.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For acceleration, not only the power takes in the account, most important is the possible torque = current. The PEM of Model S will deliver around 1000A thats 40% more then Roadster or 25% of Roadster Sport. And the ac motor will spin max 16.000 rpm instead of 14.000 of the Roadster. means the can use a higher reduction rate at the gearbox. next, you have to think about the grip of the tire. Roadster come with hight performance tire, but they are expensive and wear out fast. What will be an economic choice for Models S. Also think about the weight balance between front and back. The roadster has most of his weight on the back. Maybe Model S may need 4 wheel drive to optimize acceleration too.

I wonder how the different battery packs (additional weight) will affect the actual acceleration times. I guess that the larger packs (8000 cells) will be far more heavy than the smaller packs (5000 cells), so the acceleration times should vary a bit.

Anyone know more about this?

I wonder how the different battery packs (additional weight) will affect the actual acceleration times.

All types of speculation emerged around that issue. Some state that the smaller packs will be padded with ballast weight (IMO complete bunk). Some thoughts go on the power limitation of smaller pack, thus limiting acceleration as soon as it becomes power-limited, and the 5.6 s will not be achievable with the 160 pack. Some say the weight difference is <120lbs and will go by unnoticed. But no facts here.

All types of speculation emerged around that issue. Some state that the smaller packs will be padded with ballast weight (IMO complete bunk). Some thoughts go on the power limitation of smaller pack, thus limiting acceleration as soon as it becomes power-limited, and the 5.6 s will not be achievable with the 160 pack. Some say the weight difference is <120lbs and will go by unnoticed. But no facts here.

I think the 300 pack will be significantly heavier going by what Musk said recently about having to tune the suspension differently for the heaviest pack. The power draw levels will most likely make the difference and even out the acceleration across all pack sizes. I suspect that the 230 pack will be the 'sweet spot' in various contexts (I rather want it to be coz' I'm getting one :smile:).

The 300 mile pack uses different chemistry than the 160 and 230 mile version.

I uses a more powerful cell (3100mAh or 3200mAh), not the standard 2400mAh cell.

So we have the following numbers so far:
160miles pack - 5000 cells * 2400mAh * 3.6V ~ 43 kWh
230miles pack - 8000 cells * 2400mAh * 3.6V ~ 69 kWh
300miles pack - 8000 cells * 3100mAh * 3.6V ~ 89 kWh or 8000 cells * 3200mAh * 3.6V ~ 92 kWh

If we assume around 45 g per cell, the total weight of the pack gonna be:

160miles pack - 5000*45g=225kg (~496pounds)
230miles pack - 8000*45g=360kg (~793pounds)
300miles pack - 8000*45g=360kg (~793pounds)

So we are talking about a minimum weight difference of 140 kg (~300pounds) between the 160miles and the 230/300miles pack.