Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation holders: Would you configure & confirm your ModelX without access to one?

Would you configure and confirm your ModelX reservation without access to one to try?

• Yes

Votes: 44 46.3%
  • No, would postpone until tried one

Votes: 41 43.2%
  • No, would cancel if pushed

Votes: 10 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

With the statement from Elon that all reservation holders will be able to configure, and confirm, their orders this year I am a hesitant I would confirm my vehicle without my wife and I seeing / driving a ModelX. When I have heard comments that sales centers that I've asked that they "may" get a test vehicle before the end of the year, I fear many may postpone / cancel if pushed. What will other reservation holders do?

I had my first S on order before I got to see one (a friend with a sig). I also got to see the X at the launch event. I'm not sure I would confirm the order on the X without seeing it first. It's sufficiently different that having the opportunity to touch it and see it is more important than it was with the S.

For example, I was thinking 7-seat config before I sat in the X. Now that I have, I'm opting for the 6-seater. Without being able to sit in the car, it's hard to fully appreciate the trade offs.

As much as this will probably get a few rocks thrown at me....

No, I wouldn't. This situation is different to Model S; in that case the Alpha prototype was transported around the country for folks to see, the Beta cars also did a pretty wide circuit (IIRC it was country wide?) and so there was plenty of opportunity to see one up close. Like many others I did configure and order a Model S without test driving one but many, perhaps most, early reservation holders had an opportunity to get somewhere near one of the cars. Model X has changed significantly since the prototype days (and we don't need to rehash that again) so my view is that Tesla needs to get out with detailed specs and more photos before I would confirm an order.

No, I wouldn't. This situation is different to Model S; in that case the Alpha prototype was transported around the country for folks to see, the Beta cars also did a pretty wide circuit (IIRC it was country wide?) and so there was plenty of opportunity to see one up close. Like many others I did configure and order a Model S without test driving one but many, perhaps most, early reservation holders had an opportunity to get somewhere near one of the cars. Model X has changed significantly since the prototype days (and we don't need to rehash that again) so my view is that Tesla needs to get out with detailed specs and more photos before I would confirm an order.

This is exactly why I haven't finalized my Sig config.

I can confirm without driving one, but not without seeing and at least sitting in one. I'm 99% certain the vehicle will meet our space and storage needs (1 child seat for now, 2 dogs, stuff for up to a week's vacation), but since it is going to be over $100k that 1% chance is just too much to risk.

I am sure it won't. However, on the subject, I think every one to their own, no......? You seem to be slightly pushing that people should see it before they buy it.... but if I want to buy the X un seen as with the S and the Roadster then I suppose that would be my choice... no? As it would be your choice not to..... :) No rocks thrown just saying that its may not be necessary to voice your particular grief (how ever valid you or I might find it) in every thread closely related to the subject.........

I am sure it won't. However, on the subject, I think every one to their own, no......? You seem to be slightly pushing that people should see it before they buy it.... but if I want to buy the X un seen as with the S and the Roadster then I suppose that would be my choice... no? As it would be your choice not to..... :) No rocks thrown just saying that its may not be necessary to voice your particular grief (how ever valid you or I might find it) in every thread closely related to the subject.........

Not sure how you got that from this: (emphasis mine)

so my view is that Tesla needs to get out with detailed specs and more photos before I would confirm an order.

I hope there are people who order sight unseen. That increases the chances that in case there are no Model Xs in the stores by the time I am asked to configure someone else in my area will have taken delivery and I can offer to buy them dinner to let me sit in their X.

EchoDelta pretty much covers my opinion. We really need to see one, get a feel for what it's like to sit in and get into and out of, see how big people do in the 2nd and 3rd rows, check rear visibility, etc. As for the test drive, we've driven the Model S, so we have a good sense of how the Model X is likely to drive--not exactly, but enough that it wouldn't be a barrier to confirming and configuring our order.

Well, those small stones in your post was exactly what I was referring to. I largely stopped posting here at all after I cancelled and yet you had to go there and accuse me of posting all over the place. BTW, I'm not trying to persuade anyone, just voicing my own opinion although you left out the part where I said "in my view"; and there's no 'grief' here so it's rather presumptuous of you to suggest you know better what's in someone else's head. How about we leave it at that? :)

"Yes."

I have never decided not to purchase a vehicle based on a test drive. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do a ton of research before going to the dealership. So, I've already decided to buy the car before I head there.

Now I did test drive a Civic Si once, on a whim, and simply confirmed what I already knew about the incredibly boring acceleration experience.

For me it is a very expensive purchase and I'd rather be safe then sorry. So I would defer my configuration and purchase until I have a chance to test-drive Model X. I want to make sure the seating position works for me, that I am comfortable with panoramic windshield... and also to see how these falcon doors will operate in my garage. Waiting for a few extra months won't kill me after I've been waiting for 3.5 years since making the reservation in February 2012.

Reservation holders: Would you configure & confirm your ModelX without access...

I wonder what percentage of prospective buyers are going to want to see the car with the doors open in their garage before ordering? Tesla might be well served by having a demo car in each region with dedicated sales staff offering home visits.

Of course, they could also rely on the early adopters to help fill in some of these gaps. I already have a few friends who have asked me to bring our X over to their garage when it arrives.