Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Trip planner woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Events unfolding quickly. Left. Harris Ranch 30 min ago and headed S to Tejon. Nav abruptly rerouted at this point back to Harris. No message to slow down or charging required to destination. Just abrupt U turn required.

reset Nav to Tejon and removed all chargers. Says we will make it with 11% so I'm thinking fine no problem. Then it abruptly rerouted us back to Harris again. What the hell is going on? Making me very nervous.

avg 346 w/mi. Left Harris with 30% buffer. Still have substantial rated range buffer.

at this point in ownership and having taken many long distance trips I know my car's capabilities and limits and I never use the nav trip planner, ever. The only time I ever came close to not making the next SC was weather and a poor decision.

This is a known issue. Current version routes you through superchargers every time you will have less than 20% at destination (if I remember correctly). You have to tap on the trip panel then "remove all charging stops" from the trip. After that will you will have a fairly accurate estimate of the charge remaining. You will only have to turn on the energy app and watch on the trip panel how well you are doing, then adjust your speed if needed.

First time I had this, the Nav was trying to take me to the supercharger in Albert Lea when I was in front of my destination in Rochester. It also told me I will not be able to make it :tongue:

This is a known issue. Current version routes you through superchargers every time you will have less than 20% at destination (if I remember correctly). You have to tap on the trip panel then "remove all charging stops" from the trip. After that will you will have a fairly accurate estimate of the charge remaining. You will only have to turn on the energy app and watch on the trip panel how well you are doing, then adjust your speed if needed....
I had the same issue over the same route. But like others here, I knew the route well and knew how many miles of rated range was enough. What's unfortunate is the trip planner signals your phone app that you have enough charge to reach your next stop along your route and then freaks out 10 minutes down the road and tells you to turn around.
On this same trip, after I ignored the warning and the "%charge remaining at my destination" crept into positive territory, the nav correctly routed me off I-5 for a short distance to avoid a long stretch of "red" where construction had severely slowed traffic.
So, I haven't stopped using it completely. It's like having a friend navigating when they've fallen off their meds. Hardly the "end of range anxiety" but manageable when you've got things calibrated.

... You will only have to turn on the energy app and watch on the trip panel how well you are doing, then adjust your speed if needed.
^^This (I can’t emphasis this enough.. it’s very helpful)

The trip planner will also have difficulty getting an accurate usage projection at the beginning of each leg of the trip, but that usually settles down once you’re on the freeway for 5-10 minutes.

^^This (I can’t emphasis this enough.. it’s very helpful)

The trip planner will also have difficulty getting an accurate usage projection at the beginning of each leg of the trip, but that usually settles down once you’re on the freeway for 5-10 minutes.
I agree. I usually set my destination to the next charging stop and use the "Remove all charging stops" option. Then the Trip Planner energy graph gives me a very accurate estimate of my energy use and I can adjust my speed if necessary to make it to the charger. The Trip Planner graph is very accurate and makes continuous adjustments as you drive. It usually starts out a bit conservative but quickly adjusts to your speed, terrain, temperature, etc. I like to have about 10% left at the end of my trip as a buffer.

Same issue here. First time doing that route so it was annoying. I cruise controlled the whole way @ 75mph, but if I would have known better I would have gone faster. BTW the whole way it was telling me to cross over to Fremont SC (30 minutes out of my way) which was really really annoying.