Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is going to try out autopilot?

Who is going to try out autopilot?

• Might wait quite a while, not sure when I'll try it out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
Sounds like it is going to be available on Thursday (fingers crossed), but who is going to try it out?

Poll:

1. I will try it straightaway as soon as software is available and install completes
2. I might wait until a few others have tried it out first and then I'll do it; good or bad
3. I will wait until a few others say it is good, then I'll try it out
4. I will wait until a majority say it is good, then I'll try it out
5. I will wait a while, not sure when I'll try it out
6. I'm not planning on trying it out

Why wouldn't anyone try it; just hover over the wheel as you go done the highway, I am sure it will work great and if it doesn't then I will be ready to do what is necessary. There have been many buyers including myself who purchased this car knowing that this technology would be offered soon.

Option 1, which I suspect most others will also choose.

Hoping I have the update before Saturday night, which is the first time I have anywhere of distance to drive to. Also hoping it works on roads other than highways. My drive that night is on mostly long stretches of country road with speed limits around 60, but not highway. It should work perfectly on those types of roads, but we'll see soon enough! Haven't heard of any system to be sure you're on an actual highway, and have heard that it will work on most roads, so hoping that winds up being true.

Be careful out there until you know your limits (or should I say the AP limits). My worry is that even though people are still legally responsible for the actions of the car that we will get someone who tries the AP in a situation is was not designed for and someone will get hurt.

Be careful out there until you know your limits (or should I say the AP limits). My worry is that even though people are still legally responsible for the actions of the car that we will get someone who tries the AP in a situation is was not designed for and someone will get hurt.

I've been texting while driving on the freeway with TACC for a while now. If anything, Autopilot will make me more safe, not less so.
icon12.gif

Well, my car and V7.0 are now scheduled to arrive on the same day. I will be trying as many features as I possibly can! That said, I suspect that it will be delivered with 6.2 as it's being trucked here from another city, so I don't know when the update will happen.

I especially hope to have v7.0 working a week later though because I have an 8-9 hour road trip planned that weekend and I'd love to let auto-pilot do it's thing.

Of course I am not worried about it because I will be using it the way Tesla has always said it should be used, under constant direct supervision from an alert driver.

What freeways near you have 4-way stops? that sounds suspiciously like a surface street where Tesla has stated time and time again not to use auto-pilot.
Well, obvs, not freeways. Just in watching many tests of AP cars of all types, the 4-way stop seems to be the biggest hurdle. If it is to ultimately be completely AP, it will need to eventually get there. That is all I meant to ponder. And I have read no statements from Tesla about not using AP on "surface streets," whatever that means.

Well, obvs, not freeways. Just in watching many tests of AP cars of all types, the 4-way stop seems to be the biggest hurdle. If it is to ultimately be completely AP, it will need to eventually get there. That is all I meant to ponder. And I have read no statements from Tesla about not using AP on "surface streets," whatever that means.
I don't know where people get this idea that Tesla has made self driving, they haven't, and they've been incredibly clear and consistent with all their messaging.
AP is not self driving, it is intended ONLY for freeway use, and is to be supervised by an alert driver at all times.

This is explained in the initial release presentation by Elon himself, it is clearly stated in the user manual, it's on the website, and it has been repeated ad-nauseum.

I really wish people would quit claiming it should do something Tesla has never said it would, and complaining when it doesn't.

I don't know where people get this idea that Tesla has made self driving, they haven't, and they've been incredibly clear and consistent with all their messaging.
AP is not self driving, it is intended ONLY for freeway use, and is to be supervised by an alert driver at all times.

This is explained in the initial release presentation by Elon himself, it is clearly stated in the user manual, it's on the website, and it has been repeated ad-nauseum.

I really wish people would quit claiming it should do something Tesla has never said it would, and complaining when it doesn't.

Again, not what I said.

Saw this article: http://learnbonds.com/123986/tesla-motors-inc-tsla-autopilot-is-late-and-lacking-but-thats-okay/

and this part jumped out at me

We don’t clearly know how the Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) Autopilot tech is going to work, but it seems likely that it’s not going to blow the same sort of software from firms like Volvo and Mercedes out of the water.

Gosh I hope it does ;) and it seems to be the opinion of this guy

The most important part of the review was simply the statement that “it works. It might sound obvious, but there’s place for doubts when talking about a production car driving itself on the road today. In the case of the Model S equipped with Tesla’s v7.0 update, you can absolutely drive on the highway for miles without having to touch the steering wheel.”

so it is very good to see that just about everyone is willing to give it a try from the current poll!

What freeways near you have 4-way stops? that sounds suspiciously like a surface street where Tesla has stated time and time again not to use auto-pilot.

From the current model S website advertising autopilot stuff:

" Standard equipment safety features are constantly monitoring stop signs, traffic signals and pedestrians, as well as for unintentional lane changes. "

I've brought this up a few times, because it seems to be in direct contradiction with the "freeway/highway only" mantra. Highways do have traffic lights, and maybe stop signs. From the current website, it sounds like we should expect our cars to eventually be able to respond to both, AND pedestrians.