Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla/J1772 adapter available from Tesla's website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming it's the same thing as what I saw at the Bellevue demo last month, it ignores the proximity signal. This means you have to be careful not to unplug the J1772 plug while the car is actively charging (and make sure no one else unplugs it) to avoid arcing across the high voltage contacts. See section 5.4 of the J1772 spec.

Assuming it's the same thing as what I saw at the Bellevue demo last month, it ignores the proximity signal. This means you have to be careful not to unplug the J1772 plug while the car is actively charging (and make sure no one else unplugs it) to avoid arcing across the high voltage contacts. See section 5.4 of the J1772 spec.

Thanks. This is why I'm disappointed they only came out with an adapter. You have the right idea with a conversion and I think as many owners as possible need to e-mail Tesla and let them know that. If they want to charge me $1,500 to convert the Roadster to a J1772 plug, I'd be fine with that. I hate having to leave a $750 adapter laying on the ground. Especially since most of the chargers only charge at 30A, you either have to stand next to your car for 6 hours or hope no one steals your adapter.

I guess that explains it then. I imagine they don't want to put J1772 on the new Roadsters coming out because then all of the older customers would demand it as well. Thanks.

Why not? If they make all new Roadsters with J connectors then we old owners who want the conversion could simply order the part(s).

Why not? If they make all new Roadsters with J connectors then we old owners who want the conversion could simply order the part(s).

I'm guessing they think it's easier for them to finish out Roadster production with the old connector and not go through the effort of installing or supporting people who choose to upgrade the port (even with the official parts). I'm not saying I agree or that it makes sense but that's just my guess.

why did they make it so long? as an adapter would it not have been better to have it the same length as the soft top so it could fit straight in the floor well of the trunk space......? then it would not hit the ground either.......... kind of like in their image#1. wonder could one re do it to be this way without too much trouble?

edit: also, sounds dangerous that it ignores the proximity signal...... an accident waiting to happen.........

Last edited:
why did they make it so long?

Yeah, if it is an adaptor (as opposed to an extension cord) it should be as short and small as possible. I guess you could loop it and cable-tie together, but that is going to make storage less convenient.

I was also always taught not to loop power cords (especially high current ones), but perhaps that is just an urban legend?

Looks like it's finally available. It's expensive at $750 and lays on the floor which isn't good but does support up to 70A

J1772-2_grande.jpg

So they expect you to drape it over the mirror?

I'm guessing they think it's easier for them to finish out Roadster production with the old connector and not go through the effort of installing or supporting people who choose to upgrade the port (even with the official parts). I'm not saying I agree or that it makes sense but that's just my guess.

GM and Nissan marketers and even more the salespeople have been taking little jabs at Tesla wherever they could. Now they can add another "not as good" comment" to the Tesla line.

"Tesla decided to come out with their own connector that can only plug into their home chargers". Ours plug into thousands of places as the industry standard.

The spin from competitors will hurt Tesla.

Interesting. Do you know why? Presumably it behaves like the windings on a motor, but is the effect measurable?
It's not the induction (which is negligible). It's the heat not being able to dissipate well when coiled. If you don't have a high enough rated cord, this may cause it to overheat and start a fire. One loop probably isn't much of an issue though.

Reactions: AtAge19