Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our first Tesla trip was a huge success!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
This weekend we made our first significant trip with the new Tesla, a blue Model S 85D. The trip was more fun and better than we could have imagined in may ways. First of all we went to Dallas to see a football game and ....UT whipped OU!! :smile: That was unexpected and for us, and thousands who were seated around us in the orange sea, it was a wonderful surprise. The car was also wonderful and it also exceeded my expectations in many ways. We "topped up" in Austin and got 268 miles for a my first 100% fill. We stopped at the supercharger in Waco for a bio break and a few electrons, but had barely made it to the bakery before the phone app announced that we had all we needed to continue the trip. There were no other cars there and they have 8 stations, so I didn't feel guilty about hogging the charger for a few minutes even though I had all that I needed to make it to my destination. The bakery was great (try the pecan crunch cookies!) and the coffee is free with a Tesla fob. That charger was adding 260 M/Hr. Everything worked as advertised or better.
We drove on to the Best Western at Duncanville where we spent the night. This hotel is surely the most Tesla friendly place imaginable. When I called to make the reservation I asked about the charging and told them that it was very important to us as we would arrive nearly empty (that turned out not to be exactly accurate...we had about 80 miles of range left after the Waco Charge). They promised to put the company van into the tesla charging spot and move it for us when we arrived. They did exactly that and the young man who moved the car wanted to know all about our car. I love talking about it so I enjoyed answering his many questions. The staff even called us in route to assure us that they were expecting us and had blocked the space. That hotel is clean and efficient and the people there could not have been kinder or more accommodating. They are a very Tesla friendly lot.
We left Duncanville in the AM with 271 miles (?) and made our way thru the horrible stop and go traffic to get to the parking lot for the game. The cruise control worked flawlessly and made the stop and go almost tolerable. When we parked, the place we were directed to was just too narrow...the people next to us were sure to open their doors against the beautiful blue...so I asked a different attendant if I could move the car to a safer place. He said that this was his favorite car in the whole world and we had his favorite color and he guided us himself to a special place where no car could hit us from either side...he earned a 5er and a huge thanks! I hope that before he is my age he can get one of these beautiful cars for himself.
UT won the game... sorry...had to say that again. When we exited there was a "tire pressure is low" warning displayed, so we fought the traffic to a place where we could check it (I now have a tire gauge in the car!) and found one tire to be about 5 lbs low.... We filled all of the tires to exactly the described 45 psig and then off we went. I do wish that the car displayed the tire pressure like my Acura does. We stopped again in Waco and again, the charging was not really necessary but the stop was necessary. The car was not empty but the passengers were full. The traffic was very light on parts of the trip home and the road is very new pavement in sections and it is just perfect. It is at least as good as the Autobahn..so I confess that I did some forbidden experiments to see how significant the air sound is above three figures... I can report that it isn't bad! That car is very stable at high speed and it will go VERY fast. Even at "ludicrous" speed, the acceleration is still there. This car is a joy to drive and I could not be a more pleased or more proud owner. Next month...we will drive it to New Orleans. I can't wait.
I am now off to carefully wash away all of the bugs and replace them with carnauba wax.

Thanks for sharing. Having just taken delivery three weeks ago, we haven't taken our first road trip yet but my two worries are potential range anxiety and safe "Tesla" parking. Glad you addressed those two things but still worried about parking my baby.

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I pick up my Model S 90D tomorrow and my son has already planned a trip to Austin to visit his girlfriends family. Hope there are a lot of places to charge there because he plans to visit all his college buddy too. P.S. Austin rocks!

When we exited there was a "tire pressure is low" warning displayed, so we fought the traffic to a place where we could check it (I now have a tire gauge in the car!) and found one tire to be about 5 lbs low.... We filled all of the tires to exactly the described 45 psig and then off we went. I do wish that the car displayed the tire pressure like my Acura does.

What VIN range do you have? The newer cars that have the Continental TPMS system allows you to do just that using one of the wheel scroll options as long as you have the v7 firmware. (If you have the older BAOLONG TPMS system, it doesn't, unfortunately.)