Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LED licence plate lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery last week of a P90D and went to install LED license plate lights. I had read that the incandescence bulbs Tesla used were warm white and could be updated to match the rest of the LED lighting. The new MS already had LED lights and does not even have screws to remove the bulbs. Abstract Ocean let me return the lights I had purchased prior to taking delivery.

Have they finally updated the trunk lighting and puddle lights too? While they have always been led, they are pathetic in light output.

I don't think they've changed; as far as I could tell, it still looks like they're using the same lights in the X, I'm not certain though.

- - - Updated - - -

I took delivery last week of a P90D and went to install LED license plate lights. I had read that the incandescence bulbs Tesla used were warm white and could be updated to match the rest of the LED lighting. The new MS already had LED lights and does not even have screws to remove the bulbs. Abstract Ocean let me return the lights I had purchased prior to taking delivery.

Still trying to figure out at what VIN Tesla started installing their LED licence plate lamps. Somewhere in the late 80's is my best guess at the moment, although even that seems to vary depending on the country.

I don't think they've changed; as far as I could tell, it still looks like they're using the same lights in the X, I'm not certain though.

- - - Updated - - -

Still trying to figure out at what VIN Tesla started installing their LED licence plate lamps. Somewhere in the late 80's is my best guess at the moment, although even that seems to vary depending on the country.

Data point--my wife's June 2015 build VIN F085294 has the original incandescents, so I replaced them with Pete's/AO lamps. My understanding is that by July LEDs were pretty much standard.

Here are photos of the new lights
image.jpeg
image.jpeg