Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody know how to remove the rocker covers and the front and rear black trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wanting to paint my rocker covers , front apron, and rear trim pieces white to match my upper body. I'm wanting to remove them and send them out for paint but cannot find any info on how to remove them.
Alternatively, do the carbon fiber trim pieces for the rockers from ev annex cover the rocker trim enough to have them painted body color and look good?

If you have rocker covers, that would be a bigger concern than trim color. :biggrin:

You might consider asking Unplugged performance for the removal process for the side skirts, front spoiler, and rear diffuser. They make replacement parts for all of those components, and might be willing to share their installation manual, which I'm sure would cover what you need.
Unplugged Performance | Unplugged Performance Side Skirt Set

We removed this a while back, so I'm going by memory.

The chrome piece attached to the black plastic rocker, pops off...this is the tricky part. You need to use a plastic tool to "pop" it off

Then, you'll see a series of screws behind where the chrome trim was. Remove screws.

Finaly, there are a series of bolts that run on the bottom of the rockers, where the jack points are. Remove those. You're not removing the jack points, just the bolts spaced out along that rail that extend from front to back of the car.

i think that's pretty much it.

I can confirm and post some photos when another model s comes in later this week.

hope that helps

Reactions: Terra117
At least on the newer cars, underneath there are plastic doors you can pop open. Inside are these snapper-popper plastic doo dads you can pop out with a small screwdriver. After that and getting out the top screws, Bob's your uncle.

Again, open both doors, and there is a long plastic piece in the sill right above the rocker. That snaps off toward you. Slide that plastic piece out of the doors. That exposes a series of screws which secure the top edge of the rocker.

Then on the underside there are a series of plastic doors which pop open. Inside each is a snapper-popper that you use a small screwdriver or some kind of hook device to pull out.

At the back of the rockers at the wheel well there's another plastic door you have to open. Behind that there is a bolt to remove. And a couple snapper-poppers in the wheel well, then Bob's your uncle.

• Informative
Reactions: BaileyDog12
Again, open both doors, and there is a long plastic piece in the sill right above the rocker. That snaps off toward you. Slide that plastic piece out of the doors. That exposes a series of screws which secure the top edge of the rocker.

Then on the underside there are a series of plastic doors which pop open. Inside each is a snapper-popper that you use a small screwdriver or some kind of hook device to pull out.

At the back of the rockers at the wheel well there's another plastic door you have to open. Behind that there is a bolt to remove. And a couple snapper-poppers in the wheel well, then Bob's your uncle.

Thanks Edmond for the recap on the rocker. Very helpful and useful. I do hope armed with that info that Bob's my uncle.

Can anyone confirm that the front bumper and rear bumper must be removed from the car to detach the front and rear lower trim?

Looks like to separate the plastic underbody on the rear, the clips to remove are inside the bumper:
http://www.teslarati.com/wp-content...ar-Bumper-Removed-e1414047612250-1024x567.jpg

Lets all say thanks to this guy ( I think it's forum member akira2014 from above?):

Some instructions above and also in other threads are wrong. You'd break pieces off your car. Edmond's is right but still left a little to the imagination.

I suggest doing the removal yourself if you have any doubt. I called a very reputable shop that doesn't have much Tesla experience and they said they wouldn't touch it because they'd likely break clips and attachment points of the car. And that's coming from an honest credible shop.

Last edited:
Reactions: mobe