Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today a new UMC arrived from fedex unexpectedly. It says something about a pilot program in Ontario. Any idea on what's going on?

May have something to do with CEC requirements limiting it to 32 amps. See this quote/feed: Southern Ontario Tesla Owner's Club - Page 25

When I bought my HPWC at the Tranmere Service Center a month or so ago, I mentioned that I was debating whether just to get a second UMC to leave at home. I decided on the HPWC because it was only $100 more and because I'd already had several UMCs replaced under warranty, so I was skeptical about their longevity. At that time, they told me that I couldn't have bought a UMC even if I wanted because they were no longer offered for sale in Canada. I asked why, but didn't get an answer. I wondered at the time if some re-design was in the works. This might be my answer.

Document-2015_10_10_10_47_44 Page 1 Sat Oct 10 2015 ScanSnap Manager iX500 W.jpg
here's the doc.

Interesting. My new UMC charges at 40A. And the new UMC rating is rated at 40A with new ULC label on it. Though I am using a 6-50 adapter and that may have something to do with the Amps.

- - - Updated - - -

read answer in the other thread :)

Guess those old 14-50 adapters are now going to be worth their weight in gold...

Unfortunately I highly doubt I'll get the old one, it's a shame to be limited to even slower charging than you have to. Why 32 amps anyway? I thought it was supposed to be 80%, that's 40A on a 50A outlet, 32 is way down at 64%!!!!

For clarity, are you guys talking about getting a whole new UMC or just the NEMA 14-50 adapter plug? I received a new NEMA 14-50 adapter at least a year ago with instructions to return the old one (I never did).

I got a whole new UMC plus a new NEMA 14-50 adapter. Supposed to send back the old version of both.
The new adapter with new UMC limits charging to 32A, while the new UMC with the old adapter still charges with 40A.

I got a whole new UMC plus a new NEMA 14-50 adapter. Supposed to send back the old version of both.
The new adapter with new UMC limits charging to 32A, while the new UMC with the old adapter still charges with 40A.

Umm, me thinks they may not like you using the old adapter with the new UMC.

Have you tried the reverse? i.e. the new adapter on the old UMC? If so, does it limit it to 32 amps? Just wondering if the "intelligence" is in the UMC or the adapter. If the adapter, I wonder why they would be sending out whole new UMC sets?

Have you tried the reverse? i.e. the new adapter on the old UMC? If so, does it limit it to 32 amps? Just wondering if the "intelligence" is in the UMC or the adapter. If the adapter, I wonder why they would be sending out whole new UMC sets?
Best guess, based on the fact they're now derating the energy use to 64% instead of the usual 80%, is that they discovered that the UMC wasn't really capable of safely maintaining 40 amps long term. I suspect they made a safety change to the UMC, and also sent a new adapter that lowers the amperage to 32A
So I bet the new adapter is what sets the rate, but that the new UMC is more reliable. It's also possible that the 32A setting didn't exist in the old UMC, so the new adapter may not be enough to set an old UMC to 32A, it may get confused.

Guess those old 14-50 adapters are now going to be worth their weight in gold...

I doubt it. I order stuff from Tesla online and have it shipped to my PO Box in the States because the shipping price to Canada is insane. So all you need to do it order one from the US site and have it shipped to the States so they give you the American version of 40 amps, and make sure your specify TESLA PN: 1014324-00-E (US)

Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters NEMA 14-50

Someone just needs to tell us if the old adapter on the new UMC still gives 40 amps?

So to answer my own question - this appears to be the cable and connectors that you use to attach to your regular household 120V and 240V plug. I have used this cable exactly once in my 9 months of Tesla ownership - when I was worried that I might not make it home and charged at 120V, 12A for a few hours in the dead of winter.