Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area Track Day

How much would you spend for a track day + BBQ?

• Up to $50

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Up to $100

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Up to $150

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Up to $200

• Up to $250

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Up to $300

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • $hut up and take my money!!

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pete90D

Fan of Red Lights
Jul 25, 2015
Bay Area, CA
Hi everyone!

I mentioned this in another thread and right now this is more of a serious feeler on participation. I contacted Sonoma raceway about renting the drag strip for a Saturday or Sunday and they told me we would have to rent the whole facility because the drag strip crosses the road course. I do not have information about pricing yet, but they asked how many cars might come to the event. It is likely that the first weekend available is December, which may or may not be bad depending on if we end up with a rainy winter.

The idea is have a TMC get together, maybe a BBQ, race some cars, get various speed timings and drag numbers for as many models and configurations as possible, and just have a good time. It would be in the Bay Area, but anyone who can make it can come.

As I said I don't know how much it would cost to rent the whole facility, but each person would need to contribute an even amount so that we could rent the track. This means the more people that come the cheaper it is. The poll here is to see what people are willing to spend as a max, not what they would like to spend. Obviously free would be awesome for everyone, but if the max anyone is willing to pay is $200 and we don't have enough people to make that happen then it can't happen. Unless Tesla wanted to chip in ;)

So if you are interested in coming, please indicate what the maximum you would be willing to spend for a TMC track day with BBQ.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an aerial photo of the raceway

1668594-lg.jpg

Thanks for checking this out Pete. I would love to do it. I voted for using the entire track, as opposed to the strip. I would pay much more to be able to use the entire track, not just the strip, because I "only" have a P85+ and you will leave me in the dust! But if I could do the track, and I am a TOTAL ametur, I might well be able to keep up or beat you because I am a bit crazy.

Can we charge there?

I have always wanted to do this. So far I have done a great road rally and a small pop-up track testing different tires on a closed loop with cones. So this would be so much fun. I checked out Laguna Seca, down by me, and essentially, fuggetaboutit. The clubs have it totally locked up.

Can we charge there is the big question, I think. I will actually be up that way the first week of Dec on a trip to OR so am interested. It cost a fortune >$2000 to take my Ferrari on the CoA course in ATX a couple of years ago, but that was very memorable and amazing fun. Agree that I don't think I'd be interested in drag strip only, but rather in the whole course and seeing what the car is capable of. Does TM ever do anything at Laguna Seca?

Hi Pete,

I am interested in a day at the track with the Tesla club.
As a point of reference, the Porsche club fee is $150 per person with about 60 participants. (not sure if PCA contributes)

Can we charge there is the big question, I think. I will actually be up that way the first week of Dec on a trip to OR so am interested. It cost a fortune >$2000 to take my Ferrari on the CoA course in ATX a couple of years ago, but that was very memorable and amazing fun. Agree that I don't think I'd be interested in drag strip only, but rather in the whole course and seeing what the car is capable of. Does TM ever do anything at Laguna Seca?

Thanks for checking this out Pete. I would love to do it. I voted for using the entire track, as opposed to the strip. I would pay much more to be able to use the entire track, not just the strip, because I "only" have a P85+ and you will leave me in the dust! But if I could do the track, and I am a TOTAL ametur, I might well be able to keep up or beat you because I am a bit crazy.

Can we charge there?

I have always wanted to do this. So far I have done a great road rally and a small pop-up track testing different tires on a closed loop with cones. So this would be so much fun. I checked out Laguna Seca, down by me, and essentially, fuggetaboutit. The clubs have it totally locked up.

Pricing is unknown right now. They are gathering pricing, which makes me hope that we might get a discount, but from what someone told me it's going to be expensive. I understand why, having the whole facility rented and having emergency crews there. I also need to work out the legal aspect so I'm not liable should anything happen.

We don't really have a choice of drag strip over entire raceway. The drag strip crosses the road course so they can't rent it separately unfortunately. It would however let us get numbers for more than just 0-X and 1/4 mile. I originally asked for just the drag strip since Drag Wednesdays would be somewhat difficult to get one of each model to.

There is a supercharger in Petaluma, which is ~16 miles away from the raceway. I will ask about what charging might be available onsite. Maybe they have power for campers or something and we'd have good charging available.

Pricing is unknown right now. They are gathering pricing, which makes me hope that we might get a discount, but from what someone told me it's going to be expensive. I understand why, having the whole facility rented and having emergency crews there. I also need to work out the legal aspect so I'm not liable should anything happen.

As a reference point, I paid around $450 for a day at a race track over here in Belgium. This included lunch and we had 15 Tesla's at the event. There were 3 instructors present of which one was an "official" race pilot. This made sure we didn't do anything stupid since there's no insurance when you race your car. On an official race track you should have no problems charging the cars since the pits area has accomodation for the various tools race teams use. If you are an outsider, renting such a facility for a day including security and emergency crews easily costs $10k.

Yeah I don't think $300 is generally going to cut it. It used to cost around $400 when i took my Audi to Infineon/Laguna/Thunderhill, etc and there were a lot of cars out there and several business sponsors. I'd be surprised if you could pull it off under $300/car. In any case, I'm in.