Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof not venting, possibly firmware related

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Firmware 2.5.85, pressing once on right scroll wheel, display says 12%, but no movement from sunroof. Slight sound from footwell where sunroof actuators are. Multiple presses, still no movement. Scroll to 25%, sunroof opens to 25% / press button, sunroof closes, this happens (as normally does) for all positions except the vent of 12%.

On to touchscreen; it claims 12%, BUT diagram on left does not show movement just like actual sunroof. Trying to move slider from 12% to 0 results in same actuator sound, no physical movement, and the slider going right back to 12%.

Anyone else have this after most recent firmware?

For what it's worth, I took my S85 to the local service center because the sunroof would fail to open/bind about 50%of the time. They said it was both an issue with the firmware as well as an alignment issue. In addition the replaced the seal with an updated design and the sunroof now works better than ever and as an added bonus is much quoted at freeway speeds.

The Scottsdale, AZ service team is great and always takes care of owners concerns.

Firmware 2.5.85, pressing once on right scroll wheel, display says 12%, but no movement from sunroof. Slight sound from footwell where sunroof actuators are. Multiple presses, still no movement. Scroll to 25%, sunroof opens to 25% / press button, sunroof closes, this happens (as normally does) for all positions except the vent of 12%.

On to touchscreen; it claims 12%, BUT diagram on left does not show movement just like actual sunroof. Trying to move slider from 12% to 0 results in same actuator sound, no physical movement, and the slider going right back to 12%.

Sounds like you may have something preventing the sunroof from closing. Here is an except from the owners manual:

If the sunroof’s safety mechanism detects any
obstruction, it does not close. If, after
removing the obstruction, it still does not
close, touch and hold CLOSE to override the
sunroof’s anti-trap mechanism.

Mine works fine, but question: Is there a one-touch to close it or open it all the way? Having to scroll each time is a bit of a pain. <ducks from teslarati>

There is a one touch close but not a one touch open to 100% that I am aware of. When the sunroof is open at any open setting from vent to 100%, you can press the right scroll wheel in and it will close. When closed, pressing the scroll well vents the sunroof. I'd like to ability to change this and allow user to set preference for open amount up to 100%.

not quite the same, but I had a slight hiccup today with my sunroof while showing my car to someone.
I pressed the steering wheel button to vent (12%) then rolled it open to 100%.
I then pressed the steering wheel button to close the sunroof. no dice.
I could hear the actuator(?) cycle repeatedly to try and close the roof but no movement.
I then rolled the steering wheel button to close the sun roof and it started to close.
I then pressed the button again and it closed all the way (0%)

later when I was alone I tried to recreate my "stuck 100% open" sunroof but could not.

the only other problem I had with my sunroof in the last 2.75 years is a broken wind deflector arm. easily replaced with a newer(?) stronger design.

The sunroof motors may need to be re-synced. It is possible that there is some form of debris in the track, or worst case scenario if the motors are not synced it could have bent the mounting brackets of the actual sunroof glass (likely not noticeable to the untrained eye, however, your Service Center will be able to gather measurements and make all the adjustments necessary to repair).

I had this problem in my car as well. I did a hard reset twice and still no luck. I drove about 30 miles and somehow it just started working again. Not sure what was going on, but I guess it worked it self out. Only thing I can think of is the car was parked baking in the sun for about 7 hours with a building reflection hitting it also. It was a hot day, maybe there was a safety feature that didn't let the roof open for some reason in my case? Not sure if this helps I guess...have you tried a hard reset?

I had this problem in my car as well. I did a hard reset twice and still no luck. I drove about 30 miles and somehow it just started working again. Not sure what was going on, but I guess it worked it self out. Only thing I can think of is the car was parked baking in the sun for about 7 hours with a building reflection hitting it also. It was a hot day, maybe there was a safety feature that didn't let the roof open for some reason in my case? Not sure if this helps I guess...have you tried a hard reset?

Interesting, mine was parked indoors for three days for between 50-60'. When I came back, there was the problem. And it wasn't that it wouldn't open, it just wouldn't vent. All other positions worked fine.