Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breckenridge advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be spending a few weeks in Breckenridge this winter and I was planning on driving the tesla from florida, my question is how will the car do if parked outside for awhile without being plugged in. I am not certain if the condo I rented has a place to plug in, should I consider not bringing the tesla?
thanks

The cold weather out here will drain down the battery a bit, but not horribly. Thankfully there's a Tesla Supercharger in Silverthone (about 15-20 miles away) that you can charge at, and I know of at least one level 2 charger in Frisco (about 5-10 miles away). I'm also sure there's one in Breckenridge as well.

There is a level 2 charger in front of the town hall in Breckenridge, but I've only used it once. Its faster to drive to the Silverthorne superchargers and charge there. I regularly drive my Tesla to our ski condo in Breck and charge off the outside 110v line, after ~24 hours I have enough capacity to make it home. I would recommend bringing a 100ft extension cord. I bet you can find an outlet at the condos where you are staying. The cold weather significantly limits power and regen until the batteries warm up.

• Figure on 5-15 rated miles used each time you warm up the car from a cold soak.
  • As others have said, you won't get full regen and power until the battery warms up.
  • If you are not hurting for charge and drove the car to get to the slopes, using the app to preheat the car on your last lift ride or during an Apres Ski snack, can be a great luxury. If it was a snowy day, this can greatly help removing snow and ice from the car.
  • The lowly, 120-Volt, 3-prong plug does not have enough power to heat the car or battery, but it will add some welcome miles to the battery (30+ miles in 12 hours). Bring an extension cord, but make sure it is at least 14 gauge or thicker (#12 and #10 are thicker and lower resistance, but weigh more).
  • The Silverthorne Supercharger is at the outlet malls with lots to do nearby. I would recommend doing a quick 70-90% charge there, on your way to the condo. You can then see how your usage/charging goes during your stay and plan when you need another outing to the mall to charge again. If you use a 120V outlet at your condo at night, you may not need that at all, or maybe just before you head home.
  • Don't even think about taking high performance 21's into the mountains in the winter. The all-seasons do OK, but I have had great results in a P85 and a P85D in the winter on 19" Nokian Hakka R2 tires.

Enjoy your Tesla in the mountains!

Last edited by a moderator:
next question, when I go out to CO I will be in my new 85D, I wondering if I should get snow chains and if I did should I get 4 or only 2 for the rear?

If you have all-season tires or winter tires, you shouldn't really need them. There might be a very rare case where it would help, but the roads out here are very well maintained, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Nice video, Cwood, and certainly a nice-looking place!

Quick question, though -- above you say "... I have had great results in a P85 and a P85D in the winter on 19" Nokian Hakka R2 tires..." but in the video you said that you wouldn't attempt this drive in the P85 until the road had been plowed. This was published last January -- did more experience given you more confidence in the P85's ability to get through that much snow, or did did the observation in the video just reflect your real-time "dealing with it" perception at the time?

next question, when I go out to CO I will be in my new 85D, I wondering if I should get snow chains and if I did should I get 4 or only 2 for the rear?
I've lived in Colorado for 20 years and have never seen a car with chains, although of course I've seen them on commercial trucks going up I70.

If you are worried or are not comfortable driving in the snow then I would say go ahead and get them and that will probably guarantee that you won't ever need to use them.

Nice video, Cwood, and certainly a nice-looking place!

Quick question, though -- above you say "... I have had great results in a P85 and a P85D in the winter on 19" Nokian Hakka R2 tires..." but in the video you said that you wouldn't attempt this drive in the P85 until the road had been plowed. This was published last January -- did more experience given you more confidence in the P85's ability to get through that much snow, or did did the observation in the video just reflect your real-time "dealing with it" perception at the time?

My limit for fresh snow in the P85 with snow tires is about 3". With the P85D, that goes up to 8-12" depending on snow texture. Still need the snow plow for big storms.

I've lived in Colorado for 20 years and have never seen a car with chains, although of course I've seen them on commercial trucks going up I70.

If you are worried or are not comfortable driving in the snow then I would say go ahead and get them and that will probably guarantee that you won't ever need to use them.

When the new snow is over 18" in my Pagosa Driveway, I use 4 chains on all 4 wheels in my Jeep Cherokee[SUP]*[/SUP] to get up the driveway. Even in Colorado in extreme conditions, chains help.

[SUP]*[/SUP]The Jeep can lock its transfer case and has air lockers on the differentials. If I lock up all three, it is in what I call "bulldozer" mode; all 4 tires turn at the same rate, no matter what.

Top up at the new supercharger in Colorado Springs, then drive up to Breck the back way. Highway 24 to 9 and over Hoosier pass into Breck from the South, it's a much prettier and quieter drive then taking 70.

Also, try to exercise a bit before coming to the high 9,800 ft altitude. Drink lots of water, don't smoke too much pot.

There is a level 2 charger in front of the town hall in Breckenridge, but I've only used it once. Its faster to drive to the Silverthorne superchargers and charge there. I regularly drive my Tesla to our ski condo in Breck and charge off the outside 110v line, after ~24 hours I have enough capacity to make it home. I would recommend bringing a 100ft extension cord. I bet you can find an outlet at the condos where you are staying. The cold weather significantly limits power and regen until the batteries warm up.

used the town charger, it works fine 18 miles per hour I plugged it in and went out to eat gained 40 miles. the Silverthorne SC isn't very far away.