Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denmark: P90D sticker price to increase 180% on Jan 1 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Danish parlement today announced a political compromise on future taxation of electric vehicles.

Evs priced above 800k DKK (120k USD) are to be imposed a 180% registration fee. EVs below 800k will have the 180% registration fee imposed over five years starting with 20% of the fee in 2016 growing to 40%, 65%, 90%, 100% from 2017 to 2020. The registration fee is levied after a 25% VAT (sales tax). The finer print on calculating the registration fee stipulates various minor reductions for safety, emissions, etc. But in rough terms these are only minor reducing the actual levied fee to about 170%. Hence the the fully equipped P90D will go from 1.2m DKK December 31 to about 3.1m DKK on Jan 1!

No wonder all used high end Teslas have 'call for price' on the various used car sites. I suspect a spike in parallel import of high end Tesla's leading up to December 31! Happy days!

News source in Danish http://politiken.dk/indland/politik/ECE2879509/regeringen-indfoerer-gradvis-afgift-paa-elbiler/

Danish parlement today announced a political compromise on future taxation of electric vehicles.

Evs priced above 800k DKK (120k USD) are to be imposed a 180% registration fee. EVs below 800k will have the 180% registration fee imposed over five years starting with 20% of the fee in 2016 growing to 40%, 65%, 90%, 100% from 2017 to 2020. The registration fee is levied after a 25% VAT (sales tax). The finer print on calculating the registration fee stipulates various minor reductions for safety, emissions, etc. But in rough terms these are only minor reducing the actual levied fee to about 170%. Hence the the fully equipped P90D will go from 1.2m DKK December 31 to about 3.1m DKK on Jan 1!

No wonder all used high end Teslas have 'call for price' on the various used car sites. I suspect a spike in parallel import of high end Tesla's leading up to December 31! Happy days!

News source in Danish http://politiken.dk/indland/politik/ECE2879509/regeringen-indfoerer-gradvis-afgift-paa-elbiler/

HOLY $HIT! So a $100,000 car is $100K + 25% + 180% of that = $350,000?!!!! :scared::scared::scared: I think they're in desperate need of a taxation revolt.

We saw several EVs when I was in Denmark this summer, so it's particularly interesting that they would be targeted.
brown tesla denmark.jpg

I'm fairly sure the Danish government isn't interested in the opinions of non-citizens on their tax policy.
Please nominate any government interested in citizen's opinions (at all, never mind taxes) other than to regurgitate as lip service during election campaigns.

p.s. some countries have 100%+ across the board import tariff on almost all vehicles ... even when they don't have local production of cars or the equivalent local industry to "protect." I think many governments will begin this "market" price racket in earnest as the TPP monster raises its head and demands to be fed. Fuel and energy prices, insurance, wheat, platinum, water, metals, ... prices will "adjust" in these ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like the rest of October factory production should go to Denmark......:wink:
Given Tesla appears to be production limited, whatever windfall might happen as the local market responds, once the tax axe falls, it cuts off forward sales.

It's actually a match of the ICE tax. It's why there's a HUGE spike in orders in Denmark right now, and Bjorn is out of the running for the Tesla P90D upgrade.

There's 2 chances for each region to win the car.. The first was to win a X for the first person to refer 10 people and to take delivery of 10. I think Bjorn is on the way to win that if he hasn't already. Even if you refer 100 people today, they'll likely not take delivery before bjorn hits 10 deliveries.

The second was at the end of October whoever has the most referrals can then trade in their S for an X. In both cases, it's contingent on delivery and not just orders.

Taxation has historically run very high in Scandinavia compared to the U.S. This is either a great idea or a huge burden, depending on your political views, but personally I will just say I admire how well-run the Danish gov seems when I visit there.

I just wonder, with a MS costing north of $400K US, if anyone will be able to afford them after the new year.

Taxation has historically run very high in Scandinavia compared to the U.S. This is either a great idea or a huge burden, depending on your political views, but personally I will just say I admire how well-run the Danish gov seems when I visit there.

I just wonder, with a MS costing north of $400K US, if anyone will be able to afford them after the new year.

Well, it's just be no different than a Danish citizen buying a USD $70k-130k ICE car. As others have mentioned, they're just making the EV taxes match those of ICEs.

Well, it's just be no different than a Danish citizen buying a USD $70k-130k ICE car. As others have mentioned, they're just making the EV taxes match those of ICEs.

Sure but how many Danes can afford a $70-130k ICE with that much VAT? Can you imagine how ownership of a $100K car would diminish in the US if the tax were 100%? I almost certainly wouldn't have a Tesla right now.