Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to dismiss the "Service Maintenance Required" message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Is it possible for us to dismiss the "Service Maintenance Required" message on the VDS, or can only Tesla do that? I read through the 1.5 manuals but don't see any information about the user being able to dismiss VDS alerts.

My 1.5 annual service is scheduled in two weeks, but in the meantime I am getting tired of that message, and the loud alert noise, happening every time I start the car. In addition, I have a "TPMS Service Required" alert which just started recently and would like to permanently dismiss that as well. I will have Tesla look at that during my annual service. The VDS shows pressure and temp readings are normal for all four tires.

I have also just started receiving the "Service Maintenance Required" message. My annual service is scheduled two weeks from now. I would greatly appreciate receiving a PM describing how to disable the message until then. Thanks!

Reactions: Lou B
You don't dismiss the message, but you reset the service interval. You find the button to do so under Controls. You will see no feedback on the VDS, but go check the Service Info in the normal menu, and you'll see it has been reset.

I honestly have to say I don't approve of this. If its published in the service manual then its a different story, and Tesla has then approved to allow it to be out in the public. But if they haven't, its not going to be a good thing if more and more people get it.

For one, Tesla will most likely not like this and the lawyers will say this is a liability to them. With that, when the next update occurs goodbye to those who knew how to use and share with proper evaluation of who gets it. Secondly, someone who doesn't know about the dangers of 400V but think they now can start doing their own work can get injured or possibly killed. Lastly, most in particular with the 2.x cars, if someone bypasses the "Maintenance/Service" screen, most likely they won't get the PEM cleaned which need to be cleaned every year on those versions. Heat will then build up in the PEM causing premature failures in the long run due to heat. I'd hate to be the person buying that Roadster honestly if excessive PEM temps have been seen for a long duration due to a person not wanting to get proper maintenance.

Last edited:
I don't agree on all of this. If you reset the service interval, you must know the service hasn't been actually done.. If you're unable to make that conclusion, some other stupidity will get you hurt anyway so no extra damage done :)
The Service Menu shouldn't be a secret here at TMC.

I don't agree on all of this. If you reset the service interval, you must know the service hasn't been actually done.. If you're unable to make that conclusion, some other stupidity will get you hurt anyway so no extra damage done :)
The Service Menu shouldn't be a secret here at TMC.

I agree, it (service menu access) should come with a user-guide so the owners of the vehicles know how to use it; ie they know what to do if they hit "inhibit APS" and then leave their keys in the car since the doors are "unlocked" and then can't figure out why the doors aren't opening... But I think, especially on TMC, all the owners deserve the best access they can to whatever information is out there to maintain our vehicles. It isn't the forums duty to protect Tesla, is it? My thoughts on this forum would be that it is here to inform and protect the owners of the vehicles as its first function (ie. inform of something being available and then teaching how to use it to protect from misuse).

If someone looks up "how to reset service required light" for their Honda Civic, they undoubtedly will find that information. Does Honda start inferring this means they will not service their vehicles and then also will grab onto the alternator belt while the engine is running? Or smoke around the gasoline tank? or do something else idiotic? No, I think Honda just ignores it and builds more of the top selling automobiles, since that is their main line of business...

I personally wouldn't share the service menu access without ensuring the person I'm sharing it with is an "informed consumer" and without giving them a few caveats on what menus they shouldn't access.

Reactions: dhrivnak