Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation of 72A single charger on new Model S delivered this fall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the Model X is getting it, do we think Model S will get it? It would give me a reason to spring for the HPWC and associated wiring upgrades.

Leaving the cost of the wiring aside, since I can't speak to your situation, you can almost view the cost of the HPWC itself as a non-issue. Unless you plan to leave the UPC that comes with the car set up all the time, and travel without one, or plan to constantly pack it up and unpack it, you'd likely find yourself buying a second UPC anyway. In other words, there is a huge convenience benefit to having a second charger. Since the difference in cost between a second UPC and an HPWC is trivial (what is it now--$100?), I think it's pretty easy to rationalize away all of those costs, and really just look at the installation cost of the HPWC as the real determining factor.

If you don't do it, and the Model S gets the 72A charging, how upset will you be? If you do install an HPWC, you'll be better set for anything Tesla sends our way.

I say go for it!

Edit: And as far as the likelihood of the Model S getting the 72 amp charger goes, since that was really what your question was, we do know that Tesla likes to streamline production, eliminating options whenever possible, etc. So based on that, I'd have to think eventually the 72 amp charger will make it to the Model S. When is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
My 85D is probably on roughly the same schedule as your car (due in early November), and I've already purchased a second charger for installation at the service center. Of course, I already have an HPWC for my S85...

The HPWC is nice because you can carry your charging cable in the car for use when you are out and about, and you don't have to deal with plugging and unplugging it. Personally, I'd go for it even if I only had a single charger.

Leaving the cost of the wiring aside, since I can't speak to your situation, you can almost view the cost of the HPWC itself as a non-issue. Unless you plan to leave the UPC that comes with the car set up all the time, and travel without one, or plan to constantly pack it up and unpack it, you'd likely find yourself buying a second UPC anyway. In other words, there is a huge convenience benefit to having a second charger. Since the difference in cost between a second UPC and an HPWC is trivial (what is it now--$100?), I think it's pretty easy to rationalize away all of those costs, and really just look at the installation cost of the HPWC as the real determining factor.

If you don't do it, and the Model S gets the 72A charging, how upset will you be? If you do install an HPWC, you'll be better set for anything Tesla sends our way.

I say go for it!

Edit: And as far as the likelihood of the Model S getting the 72 amp charger goes, since that was really what your question was, we do know that Tesla likes to streamline production, eliminating options whenever possible, etc. So based on that, I'd have to think eventually the 72 amp charger will make it to the Model S. When is anyone's guess.

I have free charging at work, among other places, so realistically the only time I have to charge at home is if I'm driving a lot on the weekend or on staycation. Running a circuit greater than 50A will require 10x as much work, unfortunately. There's no point if I wont have charging capability >40A anytime soon.

Also, I don't see the point of getting an HPWC vs another UMC if you're not going to have charging capability past 50A. UMC is clearly more versatile.

I have free charging at work, among other places, so realistically the only time I have to charge at home is if I'm driving a lot on the weekend or on staycation. Running a circuit greater than 50A will require 10x as much work, unfortunately. There's no point if I wont have charging capability >40A anytime soon.

Also, I don't see the point of getting an HPWC vs another UMC if you're not going to have charging capability past 50A. UMC is clearly more versatile.

It sounds like it probably doesn't make sense for you to install the HPWC, then. You probably wouldn't need the faster charging at home anyway.

Unless you'd consider adding a second 40 amp charger later, if your car is not delivered with a 72 amp charger, passing on the HPWC is probably the thing to do, since there probably wouldn't be that many times you'd need to charge faster than 40 amp at home anyway.

Good luck!

If installation would be cheap and easy, sure! But as you mentioned, it seems to be a lot of work and cost that wouldn't give you any advantage. Even if it came with a 72 Amp charger, the only times you need fast charging is on trips.

Charging at home is the place where you have the most time and where 40 Amp charging is always plenty. Even if you came home late and had to leave early and had a completely empty battery and needed a 100% charge the next morning, you'd be fine charging at 40 Amp.

I got the HPWC over a second UMC (to leave at home) mainly because the HPWC was only $100 more and you get a nice clean installation. Due to my home's electrical capacity, I only have it set up for 40 amp charging even though I have dual chargers in my car.

I have an 80 amp J1772 station at my office and take advantage of my dual chargers every day there. (70 and 80 amp J1772 stations are quite popular around me).

My 70D is currently in production. I was able to decode my VIN based on information provided in another thread in these forums (unfortunately, I can't find the exact link to the thread right now). Based on that information, I've learned my car will have an "E" battery pack. To my knowledge, new cars have been shipping with "E" battery packs for some time now. I would speculate that if Tesla were to upgrade the charger to 72A, it might require an updated "F" battery pack. Since I will have an "E" battery pack, I think I will not have the new 72A charger.

My 70D is currently in production. I was able to decode my VIN based on information provided in another thread in these forums (unfortunately, I can't find the exact link to the thread right now). Based on that information, I've learned my car will have an "E" battery pack. To my knowledge, new cars have been shipping with "E" battery packs for some time now. I would speculate that if Tesla were to upgrade the charger to 72A, it might require an updated "F" battery pack. Since I will have an "E" battery pack, I think I will not have the new 72A charger.

Hm. I should go check my new VIN.

BTW, if you're getting your S in late 2015, it's definitely a 2015 Model S, no?

Correct, it would be a 2015 model year. 2016 model years won't be delivered until late January to mid February.
Tesla does not adhere to the car "model year" convention. Cars built during the 2015 calendar year are simply cars that were built during the 2015 calendar year. That is all. Changes and new features are introduced when Tesla is ready to introduce them and without regard to what year the car is built.

Since it appears that production (non-Founders) MX will not be receiving a 72A charger at the start of deliveries, I am guessing the MS won't be getting them either. Tesla is telling reservation holders that the MX will include a single 48A charger.