Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

~Unconfirmed~ 90d is $93k and base model starting at $75k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still trying to find the actual video of it, but it is being reported that at a vanity fair event EM said “We’ll have a more affordable version out next year that will start at around $75,000 before incentives, about $65,000 after.”

http://electrek.co/2015/10/07/elon-musk-tesla-will-have-a-75000-model-x-in-2016-90d-will-be-93000/

90d pricing was not mentioned by musk. That was the reporter's assumption. Can I mod change my title for me to remove the 90d mention?

Last edited:
Selective memory

In other news, analyst have recently lowered target TSLA price while saying that expected lower production volume will be partially offset by higher average selling price of Model X. Therefore, I'd expect cheaper X to be available early 2017 unless there is less than 45000 buyers who'd pay premium for X. Personally I think that cheaper Model X will come with Gigafactory made battery pack so end of 2016 seems like the right time.

Has anyone else watched this video. They mention a Tesla "reveal tomorrow" which according to the schedule would have been today (Wed 7th), but I haven't seen anything in the news, have you?

it seems like the videos on that link are from his appearance in 2014. I found a short clip of what appears to be this year's event--in it he talks about not wanting to live forever and is wearing a different colored jacket and no tie.

I'm still trying to find the actual video of it, but it is being reported that at a vanity fair event EM said “We’ll have a more affordable version out next year that will start at around $75,000 before incentives, about $65,000 after.”

http://electrek.co/2015/10/07/elon-musk-tesla-will-have-a-75000-model-x-in-2016-90d-will-be-93000/

90d pricing was not mentioned by musk. That was the reporter's assumption. Can I mod change my title for me to remove the 90d mention?

93k to 75k seems too much of a spread (that is almost 20k difference instead of standard 10k difference between battery packs) unless:

1) battery costs come down due to ?
2) maybe they offer the pain in the ass parts of windshield and/or seats as an an upgrade option and the more standard parts/manufacturing are cheaper
3) or Tesla speak and who knows ,,,

Probably number 3

This is consistent with Elon saying the Model X will be about $5000 more than an equivalent Model S. The Model S 90D base price is $88,000, so that would make the Model X 90D $93,000. This is the figure that should be publicized, not the $132,000 Signature Model X price which applies to very few people.

The MS ranges from $57k to $87K so 20k doesn't seem like that big of a spread, especially given that there are no specification given on battery size for the numbers he is quoting.

Unless you are talking about a MS after certain state incentives and taking into account gas savings, as far as I know the base price for a RWD MS is 70k and a base AWD MS is 75k.

Yes after incentives as is shown on their site...still a 30K spread regardless.

Nope, just reviewed the Elon Musk video that Jeva made so accessible. The 75k number is a before incentives number. So, if 93k to 75k is the the spread and the only change is a 1 step change in battery capacity, then the spread seems too large which is a 10k spread since the Model S came out. I guess we will have to wait and see. No one knows about waiting around here do they ...

Nope, just reviewed the Elon Musk video that Jeva made so accessible. The 75k number is a before incentives number. So, if 93k to 75k is the the spread and the only change is a 1 step change in battery capacity, then the spread seems too large which is a 10k spread since the Model S came out. I guess we will have to wait and see. No one knows about waiting around here do they ...

How are we certain that the only change is the battery? Do we know that it doesn't include a lower capacity charger (>72 amps) among other things?