Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owners don't know how good they have it!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
Now, don't get me wrong. I love my MS, but also love my eGolf. For the price, as a leased stand in until 3 is available, it is perfect as local driver. But...

I've tried to use the "departure time" charging repeatedly. First, it is very convoluted. You have to set up a departure time profile, indicate what days of the week you want it to apply, turn it on or off, then associate it with a location, then set up the parameters of that location... whew! But then comes the bad part - it doesn't work. No matter what I've done, the car charges up to minimum I set as soon as I plug in... but doesn't wake up later and charge to max in time for departure.

So, of course, I call VW. First line support doesn't even try to answer - sends me to second line support. Second line support asks me a bunch of silly questions (what are you using to jump the car?). I have to explain over and over "charging eGolf, not jump-starting Golf. EGOLF. Egolf dammit." Finally, they put me on hold to consult supposedly with tech experts. They come back on and say "I understand you are getting angry, but we are still researching... but let me ask one more question: did you connect the negative lead before connecting the positive lead? AAARRRGGHHH Count to 25. "No, I'm not angry, but could you have someone who understands eGolf please call me back, here's my number." After no call for a few days, I think to call Clipper Creek - whose charger I use. Bingo. There's an incompatibility between eGolf and Clipper Creek chargers where departure time charging doesn't work. Being worked on in Germany, maybe, hopefully. So, my contact for follow up is now Clipper Creek engineer.

As a postscript, VW calls back about a week later. Person who calls knows nothing about eGolf, but claims they were given followup questions by an expert. Sounds like it. "were you using level 1 charger or level 2 charger?". They said I should take to dealer and get TSB applied, and they'll help me with priority and access to engineers. Not going to waste my time until I get thumbs up from Clipper Creek that VW tells them it's fixed.

I know I (and others) have been frustrated by inconsistency of answers at Service Centers... but I've got to say: it's a thousand times better than getting an electric car from a non-electric-car company. We don't know how good we have it!

As they say YMWV, but I've had a pretty good service experience with our company Volt (sticking charge port door). None of the nonsense you experienced. And it's scheduled charging system works really well too. You just input your TOU rate schedule (if applicable) and your departure time and car figures it all out on its own.

This is why Elon said you can't market electric car through gas car dealerships. When we owned our Volt the dealer tried to give good service but we had a better idea then they did what the problem was and how the car worked. With major problems they would spend a half day calling the factory. With Tesla when we had a problem, they would let us know what the problem was and what was necessary to fix it. Tesla picked car up hauled it 500 miles one way and had it back in four days. With chevy they took two weeks to fix a similar problem. Then sales is a whole another problem, they want to switch you to a gas car.

As they say YMWV, but I've had a pretty good service experience with our company Volt (sticking charge port door). None of the nonsense you experienced. And it's scheduled charging system works really well too. You just input your TOU rate schedule (if applicable) and your departure time and car figures it all out on its own.

Volt scheduling: the only hassle is if the date and time get reset, which is a problem some people have had, and were wondering why their car wasn't or wasn't fully charged.

We've had mixed experiences with our past PHEV/BEVs. Toyota didn't know how to deal with our PiP until I found one EV-passionate service person. Mercedes Benz with the B-class is "mostly miss" unless we go to the Smart-EV dealership in town; the only people who can tell kWh from Amps are there - other folks are polite but have no idea how to even approach a question. (That said, the MB B-Class has been fantastic and never required more than some consultations/questions about their crummy app)

That sounds similar to my experience with my Nissan Leaf. First, not all the Nissan service centers service the Leaf. The one close to my home sent me out the door and wanted nothing to do with it -- like it was an alien car from another planet despite the fact it has a Nissan badge. So I had to go to another Nissan far from home (and remember the Leaf can't go very far). They only have one guy who services them at that Nissan, so if he goes on holidays, there's no service until he returns.

Next week Tesla is picking up my car from work, taking it to their service centre to upgrade it to LTE, and returning it, all while I work at the office not even noticing its gone.

No comparison.

We have an e-Golf in Silicon Valley and the dealer service and support is pretty thin here, where there are a significant number of the cars. I can't even imagine the situation in someplace like Chicago. The support to get questions answered correctly is WAY better on the MyVWeGolf forum or even the VW e-Golf Facebook group than calling customer service or talking to people at the dealership. My CarNet was not working at all and it needed to go to the dealership for them to fix it. It took 3 days because the tech had to consult with VW corporate and CarNet to sort it out. I'm not sure that the tech even knows what he did to fix it, but it's been working "as intended" since then.

Of course we know how good we have it. Except for the complainers.

I think the problem with your eGolf is that the software only works when it's in testing mode and is not enabled for real-world use cases. :wink:

Before purchasing my Leaf, I spent 9 months on order for a smart electric drive. This was 1.5 years after its national launch, since I had ordered the car. It ended up with a delivery delay of about 8 months longer than originally expected.

The guy I bought the Leaf from knew almost nothing about the car. I'm hoping their service techs know more.

<3 years for a Model 3 I hope...

I picked-up a used Rav4 EV to hold me over until the Model III... I have definitely been frustrated with Tesla service a few times, but my first experience on the phone with Toyota was just unbelievable. I was trying to activate the service account so that I can check charge status from the Android App. Just finding anyone who knew what a Rav4 EV was took a week. "It's an ELECTRIC VEHICLE, DAMNIT!!! Yes, Toyota made one. Sort of..." Jeez... At one point I got transferred to someone who claimed to work for Lexus and that she didn't know anything about Toyotas and that they were two different companies. WTF?! I had to get help from the Rav4 forums so that I would know the special keywords I had to say to get them to push the right buttons on their end to get it done.

I had the same problem with my 2014 Leaf (but not on the 2012 model I had earlier). Th first thing I did was to put a note in MyNissanLeaf forum, and interestingly a Clipper Creek support engineer who happened to read my post, PM'd me within a few hours that they know what the problem is and the solution is a newer version of their adapter. I called their support and two weeks later I had a new plug that resolved this problem.

I always get fliers in the mail from our Fiat dealership telling me our 500e is about due for an oil change!

To Chrysler's credit, I had a issue where the charging schedule would randomly not charge the car. I posted to a 500e forum and an official company rep replied back stating it's a known bug and to go to the dealership and have them apply a particular TSB. That worked and fixed the problem. Sure would be nice is Tesla had an official rep in TMC. :)

Compliance BEVs sure can be an unique ownership experience! LOL

This is why Elon said you can't market electric car through gas car dealerships. When we owned our Volt the dealer tried to give good service but we had a better idea then they did what the problem was and how the car worked. With major problems they would spend a half day calling the factory. With Tesla when we had a problem, they would let us know what the problem was and what was necessary to fix it. Tesla picked car up hauled it 500 miles one way and had it back in four days. With chevy they took two weeks to fix a similar problem. Then sales is a whole another problem, they want to switch you to a gas car.

I've had the same problems with my i3. Every dealer is clueless about it. I had a motor mount break. It took almost 3 weeks for them to get it fixed. They would order parts, installed them, talk to some engineers, order more parts and repeat. Then after I got the car back I had some warnings come on. The dealer had it for a week and didn't find any issues. I went on a long trip and had error comes up constantly. It took them a week to find that when the mount was replaced they didn't fill up the coolant of the range extender so it keep overheating.