Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS in the mid $40k range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the specifics on your MS? Congrats.

Thanks. It's been an awesome experience.

From the spec sheet:

60 kWh Model S
Solid Black Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Wheels
Tan Nappa Leather Interior
Obeche Wood Gloss Décor

It had 18.1k miles. As with all CPOs, it also had supercharging enabled and a parcel shelf. I think mine might have been a special case - it had lighted door handles and ambient interior lighting. I couldn't find a defect with the exterior or interior - it truly felt like buying a new car.

Battery degradation appeared minimal as well. It said that my rated range at a full charge was around 200 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

It's definitely worth combing through the last 50-75 pages of this thread:

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

Given that you could buy a new S70 (not AWD) for between $56K and $61.5K (high side being only $7500 fed + $1000 referral), I wouldn't pay more than mid 40s for a used 60 in perfect condition with 20K miles.

I completely agree with this statement. The problem is that nobody that is selling a used 60 sees it this way. I just checked this site, the CPO site, and autotrader and there doesn't appear to be a car of any battery size for less than about 55k. It seems to me that all of the used ones are about 7k to 10k overpriced because they do not factor in the tax credit. I think as soon as the 200,000th car rolls of the line, all of the used prices will be more realistic (unless people raise them). In my area on autotrader, there are cars that have been for sale for a long time. I just gave up and decided to buy a new 70 (hopefully fairly soon). Also, to be clear, I'm not complaining. These cars belong to the sellers and they can price them however they like. If I had to sell one, I'd overprice it too, in hopes that it wouldn't sell and I'd have an excuse to keep it.

I completely agree with this statement. The problem is that nobody that is selling a used 60 sees it this way. I just checked this site, the CPO site, and autotrader and there doesn't appear to be a car of any battery size for less than about 55k. It seems to me that all of the used ones are about 7k to 10k overpriced because they do not factor in the tax credit. I think as soon as the 200,000th car rolls of the line, all of the used prices will be more realistic (unless people raise them). In my area on autotrader, there are cars that have been for sale for a long time. I just gave up and decided to buy a new 70 (hopefully fairly soon). Also, to be clear, I'm not complaining. These cars belong to the sellers and they can price them however they like. If I had to sell one, I'd overprice it too, in hopes that it wouldn't sell and I'd have an excuse to keep it.

I was in the same boat. I was looking for a used P85 but couldn't find one that was much less than a new P85D after factoring in the tax credits.

I'm a complete newbie here, but for what it's worth...
I think there's going to be a drop in what these cars will sell for very soon. And in my opinion, autopilot will be the cause.
With only 3 months left before I can get my MS (tax credits maxed out this year), I have been watching the used cars with very thorough attention. There are quite a few out there where the owner has confided that (s)he is selling to upgrade. So they're likely motivated enough to negotiate.

But...the autopilot...can't be retrofit and in my opinion is the future master-feature of the car.
And, at least for me, that's worth stretching to get a new car. I've chosen the S70D. And nicely appointed, that car is only $77k after referral and tax credit. Obviously, that's a loose interpretation of the word "only".

Even at $67k (-$10k difference), I still wouldn't purchase a used 2013 S85 RWD without autopilot at this point in time. And I thought about it...a lot! But...autopilot.
Just $.02 from a newbie. Besides...I have to post my first post some time, right?

Few of us didn't purchase the CPO car from the CPO site, we went straight to Tesla sales and the price is better. Here is the guy if you are interested.

Here is a deal Brent sent me a couple weeks ago, not sure if it's still available. $4960060 kWh Model S
Silver Metallic Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19” wheels
Black Nappa Leather Interior
Obeche Wood Gloss Décor
Supercharger Enabled
Tech Package
Ultra High Fidelity Sound.

[FONT=&quot]Brent Seavey | [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Owner Advisor[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1200 Old Skokie Valley Rd | Highland Park, IL 60035
p 847-579-0028 | [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][email protected][/FONT]

It's possible that there could be difference depending on where the seller lives and the credit amount per state. There might be a price fluctuation when the Model 3 is announced.
It would be nice to have a formula to estimating a used MS value.

It's possible that there could be difference depending on where the seller lives and the credit amount per state. There might be a price fluctuation when the Model 3 is announced.
It would be nice to have a formula to estimating a used MS value.

This make me think. By the time Model 3 is released in 2018, will you buy a new Model 3 around 45k, or a nice equipped 3 years old CPO S70 or S85.

We will have plenty of choices - that's for sure.

There will be plenty of cars soon in the CPO channel with AP, and it's easy to envision a high-mileage MS85AP CPO selling for $40K within the year - or quarter. I'm not particularly happy about that, since I own one, but on the other hand...

And then on the other other hand, in a year or so one presumes AP2.0 will be available and those sensors and such will be most useful to have - if one wants to buy new.

Anyone who does not consider the CPO option potentially costs themselves $50K in depreciation alone for no particularly good reason.
Consider just from the warranty perspective (obvious motor/inverter/battery coverage not necessary to discuss):

CPO warranty - 50,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first
New warranty - same 50,000mi/4yrs, w/option to pay an addtl $6400-$7500* *plus* an open-ended $200 per issue (not per visit, which is bizarre) for 50,001-100,000mi/4 yrs.

* $4,000 for ESA plus $600/year annual service plus $210/alignment at the time if needed. There is no option at this time to prepay the 2nd 4 years of annual service for $1900 including alignments.

Over the first 50,000 miles, a CPO car with 90% of what one might want from new is certainly worth considering.

In the end, the above, added to Model 3 availability means that it will be quite difficult to make a truly bad choice :).

I think that when the Model X starts shipping in volume, the price for CPO/used Model S's will be pushed down substantially for a while. This happened to Roadsters price when the Model S came out (there was a glut of traded-in Roadsters for Tesla to sell). This happened to some degree when the P85D came out (there was a glut of traded-in P85's to sell). Assuming a fair amount of people trade Model S's for Model X's, there will be a large supply of Model S's to burn through.

I think that when the Model X starts shipping in volume, the price for CPO/used Model S's will be pushed down substantially for a while. This happened to Roadsters price when the Model S came out (there was a glut of traded-in Roadsters for Tesla to sell). This happened to some degree when the P85D came out (there was a glut of traded-in P85's to sell). Assuming a fair amount of people trade Model S's for Model X's, there will be a large supply of Model S's to burn through.

Or people don't want the X because of the price or wait and just buy more S's...

Do I want an aluminum body that will never corrode (Model S), or a steel body that doesn't last as long? The choice is easy for me :)
The S is a larger sized car. Some people aren't fans of that. Supposedly the 3 will be more of a Audi A4, BMW 3 sized vehicle. Easier to maneuver. Also while aluminum doesn't corrode, it is crazy expensive to repair should you get in an accident.

I wonder how stripped down the 3 will be compared to the MS. To make the price point,something has got to give.
One of my biggest problems is the MS may have an issue fitting in my small 1914' garage.

A significant cost of the S today is the battery. The Gigafactory will significantly reduce that cost. While there are still other avenues that need to cut costs for the S to hit its price point, the top hurdle will be the battery and Tesla already has plans for that.