Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772's popping up all around me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cinergi

Sep 17, 2010
MA
While charging in CT, I opened up the iPhone PlugShare app and noticed WAY more 1772's since I'd last looked. Turns out most of them are at Nissan dealerships (makes sense). One of them is right down the street from me -- so I'll be checking in on the details. Anyone know about Nissan dealership's policies around using them? Either way, I'll report back what I learn. If I can really use them (when the adapter's available), it'll be a HUGE relief for this area which has had very poor charging support.

I think Plugshare may have done some sort of database merge and picked up a bunch of non-user submitted charge stations.

The Nissan dealers seem to be inconsistent on their policy regarding use of their J1772.
Many of the dealers have them in a lot that is locked at night.
Many of the dealers have them tied up topping of Leaf's that are being prepped for customer delivery.
If it were other than a Tesla I would say your chances are slim, but they might make an exception just to ogle/gawk at your car!

I received my Tesla/J1772 adapter on Monday. I had an opportunity to test it this afternoon. I went to a Solar EV Charging Station on the downtown lakefront operated by the Chicago park district. There is a Coulomb Technologies NEMA 5-20 port and a 30 amp J1772 port at this location. Apparently I
Solar EV Charge 011.JPG
Solar EV Charge 001.JPG
Solar EV Charge 013.JPG
Solar EV Charge 016.JPG
Solar EV Charge 003.JPG
was the first to use this site. It took a phone call to activate the J1772 port. Solar Charging an EV in downtown Chicago, we don't just dye the river green!

...Apparently I was the first to use this site. It took a phone call to activate the J1772 port.

Nice!
Why do you think you were the first to use it? Did they tell you that when you called?
You can get a ChargePoint RFID/barcode tag to activate the Coulomb/ChargePoint pedestals if you don't want to have to call each time.
If you don't have an ID card, calling them to activate is 'normal' even if you aren't the first to use it.

Some ChargePoints are pay as you go, so they have a mechanism to lock down unless authorized.
But even for the free ones they do that. I imagine it is so they can track who is using it, and also to keep random miscreants from messing with the equipment.

Hi. I picked up my new Electric Blue Tesla in LA last Saturday and drove home up the coast highway to Santa Barbara. Quite a fun experience! My wife and I would like to drive the Tesla to Hillsborough, CA (close to the Tesla dealer in Menlo Park) over Memorial Day weekend. Problem: all the charging stations between here and San Francisco have just replaced all their Tesla connectors with J1772 connectors. I ordered the adapter from Tesla, but they have no idea when it will arrive. One kind owner offered to lend me his as he is not using it that weekend. That is, if his arrives in time! If my adapter (or his) does not arrive in time, is there anyone who has received theirs already and it not using it who would be willing to lend it to me for that weekend? I would appreciate it!
Timothy

Nice!
Why do you think you were the first to use it? Did they tell you that when you called?
You can get a ChargePoint RFID/barcode tag to activate the Coulomb/ChargePoint pedestals if you don't want to have to call each time.
If you don't have an ID card, calling them to activate is 'normal' even if you aren't the first to use it.

Some ChargePoints are pay as you go, so they have a mechanism to lock down unless authorized.
But even for the free ones they do that. I imagine it is so they can track who is using it, and also to keep random miscreants from messing with the equipment.

Good Info TEG
I have a Chargepoint Card for over a year but this is the first opportunity I have had to use it. The Tesla proprietary plug only allowed level 1 charging without an adapter. I had no use to charge at 120v 16 amps, so when I got my J 1772 adapter I went out to test it at my first opportunity.
When I waived my Chargepoint card it kept opening the door on port 1 which revealed the NEMA 5-20 outlet. After several attempts with the same result I called the Chargepoint number on my card. The operator verified my account and asked if I wanted port 2 activated. Several seconds later charging began at 206 volts and 30 amps.
While I was taking pictures a park district employee came over to chat and told me the level 2 port had recently been put into service and I was the first to use it. Later a security guard came by in his Prius patrol car to ogle the Tesla, he also commented that I was the first to use the site.
I know, hearsay at best. but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.