Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map on my laptop screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterdayafternoon a map briefly appeared in the corner of my laptop screen with the caption that it would take me 20 minutes to travel home. My Model S was parked in the lot outside the building. The building has Wi-Fi. There is no p.c. application for the Model S on my laptop (is there one at all?). I did a virus scan on the laptop with no intruder detected. I am used to talking to the MS with my Iphone. Is the car now talking to me, or am I completely out of my mind?
Thanks.

I've noticed lately that Google is getting more aggressive with these kinds of notifications on my iPhone. It tells me several times a day how far/long it is to my office, home and even a coffee shop I frequent in the morning on my way to work. I realize I can turn it off, but it is kinda cool. Haven't seen this on a PC yet...

This is mostly likely Google Now.

I don't fully understand how it does it, but when I walk up to my car away from home, my Pebble watch will immediately show the time it would take me to get home. No notification on the phone or in the car.

My best guess is that when my iPhone that is running Google's app sees that the Tesla Bluetooth connect, it determines if I am at home or away and if away, tells the phone to display a notification of the time to get home. I must have turned off the notification on the phone because it was bothering me, but the watch still gets it.

I really like this functionality, even though I think I stumbled into it by accident. Having the notification on the phone was annoying, but glancing at my watch when I get to the car is rather useful.

So basically I think the same thing is happening for the OP, probably within his Chrome browser with alerts enabled. Google Now seems to be adding more functionality.

This is mostly likely Google Now.

I don't fully understand how it does it, but when I walk up to my car away from home, my Pebble watch will immediately show the time it would take me to get home. No notification on the phone or in the car.

My best guess is that when my iPhone that is running Google's app sees that the Tesla Bluetooth connect, it determines if I am at home or away and if away, tells the phone to display a notification of the time to get home. I must have turned off the notification on the phone because it was bothering me, but the watch still gets it.

I really like this functionality, even though I think I stumbled into it by accident. Having the notification on the phone was annoying, but glancing at my watch when I get to the car is rather useful.

So basically I think the same thing is happening for the OP, probably within his Chrome browser with alerts enabled. Google Now seems to be adding more functionality.

That is exactly what I experience. I also have a Pebble and see the notifications there. I am pretty sure it is Google Now doing it. Sometimes it will tell me that traffic is heavy and my drive time will be longer. I like that because it reminds me to turn on the Tesla Nav and let the traffic-based routing guide me around the problem. Normally I wouldn't use Nav to go someplace I know like home.

It has nothing to do with the Tesla.

What OS is on the laptop? Apple is making OS/X more, and more similar to IOS with every update. IOS has a "traffic conditions" notification that tells me it will take X amount of minutes to get home.

I wouldn't be surprised if OS/X didn't have the same thing.

That's definitely Google. If you've used Google maps on your phone and you've configured locations such as "Home" and "Work", Google will use those locations to give you traffic information. I'm not sure how it determines when to tell you, I assume it's based on the time of day you queried the map application. The Motorola add-in may play a part if you have a Motorola phone -- I do and that's why I say this. If you don't have a Motorola phone, it comes down to Google trying to be helpful across multiple devices.

Query this term in Google and it should be the first result found: location history google maps

Click the link and see if you have "Home" and "Work" listed in the lower right. It tells you that location is reported by your mobile device.

Last edited:
Google now can be used on a computer as well as on a phone, usually as an add-in to the chrome browser, I have it set up that way, and it has twice given me those popups, not enough to be useful, but enough to know it's capable of it.
Realistically the phone version is much more reliable (and as mknox said, sometimes a little too frequent)