Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Brockway Road (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I saw an 8-stall, back-in supercharger installation on the east side of Truckee; Brockway road near SR 267 next to Best Western motel and Fifty Fifty Brewery restaurant.

All stations are in place as well as the rectifier cabinet. Workers said "just waiting for power company connection. Could be two weeks to a month".

It seems an odd location just 5 miles from the existing one and off a lightly traveled state route a couple of miles off I-80. It is close to Northstar ski area and Kings Beach Lake Tahoe.

Must have something to do with the Gigafactor, when we charged at the Truckee SC we saw a few dirty tesla's with manufacturing plates.

I'd guess that the Gigafactory definitely has something to do with it. Also, in terms of location, there are a couple of relatively exclusive communities nearby (Martis Camp, Lahontan, and then the Ritz); wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of relatively influential people who frequent that area...

Supercharger - Truckee #2 (location confirmed, opening soon?)

Wow this is a surprise. It doesn't seem to be shown on Tesla's "Coming soon" map. Anyone around there who can take photos and post them?
Kind of an odd location, but it's always good to get more SC locations. I just wish Tesla would focus more on critical locations such as Tejon Ranch where a wait for a stall is common
I am sure that Tesla is aware of how busy the Harris Ranch location is (they have the realtime data on usage) and has plans to address it. But the landlord there may not be willing to give up more ICE parking spots for Supercharger stalls, or there may be an issue with bringing in more power. In that area there are very few other locations where Superchargers could be located, it's pretty deserted. So it may take some time to find a suitable location.
Locating suitable sites for Superchargers is time consuming and here are multiple hurdles to surmount before construction can begin (though I'm sure it is far easier than getting permission to build a new gas station). When a location becomes available that fits in with Tesla's long term goals they will likely move on it, even if it isn't necessary immediately. I think that is perhaps the case with this new location near Truckee.

Last edited:
Today I saw an 8-stall, back-in supercharger installation on the east side of Truckee; Brockway road near SR 267 next to Best Western motel and Fifty Fifty Brewery restaurant.

All stations are in place as well as the rectifier cabinet. Workers said "just waiting for power company connection. Could be two weeks to a month".

It seems an odd location just 5 miles from the existing one and off a lightly traveled state route a couple of miles off I-80. It is close to Northstar ski area and Kings Beach Lake Tahoe.

Pictures?

Is this the location? Google Maps: Best Western Truckee Tahoe Inn

My guess is that this is Tesla increasing capacity to help with future traffic to the Gigafactory and other I-80 traffic in the area.

Pictures?

Is this the location? Google Maps: Best Western Truckee Tahoe Inn

My guess is that this is Tesla increasing capacity to help with future traffic to the Gigafactory and other I-80 traffic in the area.

A supercharger in Sparks would also help with future I-80 traffic, plus give people more option on when to charge, and serve highway 395. They must be expecting capacity issues for this winter's ski season if it actually snows this year. They need to start providing information in the car's nav system about supercharger use so people will know which supercharger to go to.

A supercharger in Sparks would also help with future I-80 traffic, plus give people more option on when to charge, and serve highway 395. They must be expecting capacity issues for this winter's ski season if it actually snows this year. They need to start providing information in the car's nav system about supercharger use so people will know which supercharger to go to.

As more and more Superchargers are installed close to each other to improve capacity, Tesla could improve overall capacity by providing such info.

See Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model for reference.

With a 2% chance of a queue, an 8-stall site can serve, on average, 3.6 cars in a busy period. 2 such sites can then serve 7.2 cars on average. However, if arriving cars know where empty stalls are and can go to the site where there is capacity, then two nearby Superchargers are merged, at least virtually. A single larger site has more relative capacity with the same chance of a queue. Extending the table, a 16-stall site can serve 9.8 cars on average with the same 2% queueing probability. That is a 36% improvement (9.8 vs 7.2) in capacity with some network and car software, and no new hardware construction, a very big win!

They must be expecting capacity issues for this winter's ski season if it actually snows this year. They need to start providing information in the car's nav system about supercharger use so people will know which supercharger to go to.

The solution is simple. Show projected usage based on arrival times for each SpC along a route all based on historical data - which Tesla has loads of. If there is a clear winner, then the Nav should automatically reroute appropriately.

Has Tesla ever closed a supercharger site? I other words is this going to replace the one behind Safeway which can be pretty sketchy sometimes with all of the bums hanging around.

I was thinking the same thing. Tesla leases the properties for Supercharging (yes, a few are owned.) Truckee #1 may have been a temporary location (as is Roseville) to facilitate crossing the Sierra for us owners on road trips (Interstate 80 to Salt Lake City was completed early in 2015) and Tesla executives going to and from the Gigafactory. This new location may be the "permanent" location, and the Safeway parking lot location was an easy and fast solution. It is entirely possible that the Safeway location will close once the lease is up unless usage warrants it to remain open. Perhaps the highway 267/Brockway Rd. location has additional capacity to be utilized once the Safeway lease term is up.

I will be interested to see if Roseville continues to be open once the initial lease term expires.

I was thinking the same thing. Tesla leases the properties for Supercharging (yes, a few are owned.) Truckee #1 may have been a temporary location (as is Roseville) to facilitate crossing the Sierra for us owners on road trips (Interstate 80 to Salt Lake City was completed early in 2015) and Tesla executives going to and from the Gigafactory. This new location may be the "permanent" location, and the Safeway parking lot location was an easy and fast solution. It is entirely possible that the Safeway location will close once the lease is up unless usage warrants it to remain open. Perhaps the highway 267/Brockway Rd. location has additional capacity to be utilized once the Safeway lease term is up.

I will be interested to see if Roseville continues to be open once the initial lease term expires.
Where did you get the info regarding Roseville supercharger?
How do you know it's a lease?
How long is the lease for?

If tesla wanted the truckee or Roseville locations to be temporary why not install their temporary stalls? Why go through all the trouble for something you plan on removing in the future.