Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Electric Charging Signage and Parking Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine, but the wording "Tesla Vehicle Charging Only" is ambiguous and not intimidating to drivers that might ICE spots. It sounds like a technical note that this device can't charge other makes of electric vehicles. Wording like what's on handicapped parking signs is more intimidating and clear to both drivers and cops.

As a retired engineer that can't stop designing - I think signs should say "No Parking if not Charging" and every charger spot (Tesla or otherwise) should have a light that blinks "Charging" when current is flowing. Cops would follow a rule as simple as the handicapped rule and ticket any unattended vehicle if the light is off (even electric vehicles). Optionally, spots could also have a vehicle presence sensor that calls the cops (after a grace period) if the light is off.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine, but the wording "Tesla Vehicle Charging Only" is ambiguous and not intimidating to drivers that might ICE spots. It sounds like a technical note that this device can't charge other makes of electric vehicles. Wording like what's on handicapped parking signs is more intimidating and clear to both drivers and cops.

As a retired engineer that can't stop designing - I think signs should say "No Parking if not Charging" and every charger spot (Tesla or otherwise) should have a light that blinks "Charging" when current is flowing. Cops would follow a rule as simple as the handicapped rule and ticket any unattended vehicle if the light is off (even electric vehicles). Optionally, spots could also have a vehicle presence sensor that calls the cops (after a grace period) if the light is off.

There is a Florida Statue to cover ICEing: "https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/366.94". I was told the fine could be as high as $250. ---I doubt that it has ever been enforced.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a Florida Statue to cover ICEing: "https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/366.94". I was told the fine could be as high as $250. ---I doubt that it has ever been enforced.

Hi Rusty,

Statute 366.94 is very helpful to deter ICE vehicles from parking in EV charging spaces. However, the statute is flawed in that the referenced statues for fines and penalties, 316.008 and 318.18, do not refer back to 366.94 and DO NOT specify fines and penalties. Therefore, at a state level 366.94 is unenforceable. Cities and municipalities can of course specify their own fines and penalties if they wish.

The member organizations of the Drive Electric Florida coalition believe this is merely an oversight and we pointed this failing out to the legislators that we spoke to while we were in Tallahassee last week. We will continue to work with our legislators on this minor issue and expect to be able to find a sponsor who will correct this technical oversight.

For the most part despite this oversight 366.94 is doing its job. It is only dealing with habitual offenders that we need to address this issue.

Larry

Last edited:
I think signs should say "No Parking if not Charging" and every charger spot (Tesla or otherwise) should have a light that blinks "Charging" when current is flowing. Cops would follow a rule as simple as the handicapped rule and ticket any unattended vehicle if the light is off (even electric vehicles).

What happens when a vehicle finishes and you do not show up immediately (notified via App and standing in line to pay the check), or if charging gets interrupted?

Hi Jack,

Statute 366.94 is very helpful to deter ICE vehicles from parking in EV charging spaces. However, the statute is flawed in that the referenced statues for fines and penalties, 316.008 and 318.18, do not refer back to 366.94 and DO NOT specify fines and penalties. Therefore, at a state level 366.94 is unenforceable. Cities and municipalities can of course specify their own fines and penalties if they wish.

The member organizations of the Drive Electric Florida coalition believe this is merely an oversight and we pointed this failing out to the legislators that we spoke to while we were in Tallahassee last week. We will continue to work with our legislators on this minor issue and expect to be able to find a sponsor who will correct this technical oversight.

For the most part despite this oversight 366.94 is doing its job. It is only dealing with habitual offenders that we need to address this issue.

Larry

Larry,
Thanks for the update.
Rusty

PS: I'm not Jack- but that is much better than what a lot of people call me!!:biggrin:

Larry
Fixing that technical oversight in 366.94 makes sense but another flaw that would remain is that 366.94 requires the cop to determine if the parked car is a "vehicle that is not capable of using an electrical recharging station". That's not easy for the cop to determine. Also, should a Leaf in a Tesla only Supercharger spot get a ticket? Can Tesla drivers park in any EV spot even if they are not charging. 399.94 also doesn't address EVs that remain parked in a charging spot long after they're done charging. This is the stuff that led me to think about the "Charging" light proposed above.

- - - Updated - - -

What happens when a vehicle finishes and you do not show up immediately (notified via App and standing in line to pay the check), or if charging gets interrupted?
Your first situation is not much different from going back out of a restaurant to a parking meter before it expires, in that it requires you to plan accordingly. If your schedule changes, you have to go back out and move your EV the same way you would have to go back out and put money in the meter.

If the Charging light I propose became universal, Apps would evolve to give you advance notification of charge completion. Maybe even let you set the amount of time you're notified before charge completion is expected.

Your second situation, "charging interrupted" might be addressed by a grace period. The Charging light could go from steady to blinking during that grace period.

If the EV population grows as some expect it will, a simple universal solution for keeping chargers unblocked will need to be implemented. Being ahead of that curve is better than being behind it.

IMG_4715.JPG

Speaking of signage in Florida, I found this today in a South Florida parking garage attached to a well-known mall. I'm not sure who or what they are trying to keep out, but rest assured there are no charging stations here!