Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is still upgrading to Ludicrous in their P85D after hearing Drag times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In short, Tesla's marketing says P90D in Ludicrous mode will do the 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds. To-date with current software the fastest recorded time on strip is 11.384 seconds, so there's at least .4-.5 seconds behind the stated 1/4 mile time. P85D's have achieved 11.6 in the quarter mile, giving the .2 second improvement on the P85D's almost to the same level as the current P90D

99.9% chance I upgrade just to spite the whiners. The worst thing that happens is that I spend some cash I was going to spend anyways. Call me a Tes-loptimist but I believe it will be faster. I also believe this is part of the frustrating price we have to pay for the privilege of driving a spaceship. To infinity - and beyond!

Last edited:
In short, Tesla's marketing says P90D in Ludicrous mode will do the 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds. To-date with current software the fastest recorded time on strip is 11.384 seconds, so there's at least .4-.5 seconds behind the stated 1/4 mile time. P85D's have achieved 11.6 in the quarter mile, giving the .2 second improvement on the P85D's almost to the same level as the current P90D

I never do quarter mile runs.

I do hope that roll-on, or burst, accelerations will still test out as solid improvements. Is there a chance that 50-80mph would be faster, if you weren't flat out from 0-50? If what a couple other people are saying, about fuses and power limits potentially being a product of acceleration's duration, than there is room to believe Ludicrous might do better when driving normally. I think we're testing for that, too? Do bracketed tests, from steady speeds, add up to lower times? That would be more "real world", for me.

Need more numbers.

I can't, having a P85+, and I wouldn't. I love the incredible acceleration. But honestly, I simply do not use it enough to pay THAT much money to upgrade. In my real world, the passing power and occasional launch of my car really does suit me just fine. I am just a fast driver who does not track. I was temped at first. But then I realized...Just how far am I willing to go?!? More power to those that will use it and love it! Have a damn blast!!!!

I was temped at first. But then I realized...Just how far am I willing to go?!?

Same here. For nearly $8k it seems a minimal performance increase. As it is, the P85D is an incredible piece of engineering. What other car can do 0-60 in around 3s and go on to 1/4 mile in 11.6 or so AND weigh nearly 5000lbs?. Answer - none. Maybe there's some future software update which might unlock the real potential of the new "smart" fuse assembly (1800 amps?)...who knows? That said, we were promised such a thing for free originally which didn't transpire, except for the 0-60 time. It's hard to predict what Tesla may or may not do in the future. Given their past record to date, they've lost some of my trust I'm afraid.

I was 100% committed to doing it when I believed it would essentially replicate the current, published P90DL performance. I understood there might be a slight performance hit for having a P85DL but I was okay with that. I plunked down my $500 on day one that the product was listed in the on-line store.

Now however I am in the wait and see camp. I'll be pissed if I lose the $500 but I'm not going to tie my decision to that - sunk cost. The current description in the shopping site makes no sense to me. I don't understand how the 0-60 and QM times can both be 0.2 seconds faster. Of course I understand the math, but it makes no logical sense that that could be the case.

My main goal is better passing power. If there is a demonstrable improvement there, I'll buy the upgrade. If not, I won't.

I have the deposit down and will probably go through with it. My assumption is there will be further software refinements in the future that will need L and I don't want to miss my 6mo window to join that club. Also 0-60 matters the most to me anyways.

I was going to upgrade, but I have kicked the can down the road a bit to see the true performance improvements. I hope we get at least .2 secs to 60, and at least .6 seconds on the quarter. Otherwise, insane is just fine.

Can save the $7500 for my upcoming Model III. ;-)