Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Charge points in Norway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cobos

Model S owner since 2013
Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2007
Oslo, Norway
The official database for charging points in Norway is NOBIL which is maintained and paid for by Transnova (a public organization for supporting energy efficient changes in Norway) and NORSTART the EV organization. NOBIL is available for cellphones and webpages to access the data, the largest webapge currently that shows the data in the database is Ladestasjoner. It is in Norwegian but the map should be pretty easy to use.

Cobos

Sounds nice, but give it a few more months and there should be a few quick charge spots as well. We are around this time opening our first public quick-charger in Rogaland and should get a few more in not so long time :)

Cobos

From another forum:
My Nissan Leaf Forum
This is one of many FREE EV charging stations in Oslo, Norway. There is 230V 16A (3.6 kW) for two cars in each of the metal poles. The electricity and the parking is free, compliments of the city council.

trekanttomta-bredde.jpg

There are about 400 free charging stations in Oslo (pop.: 500000), in addition to all the private ones. Electricity is always free. Cars are recognized as electric because the license plate starts with "EL xxxxx".

Yes this is right next to Aker Brygge, our harbor front area. You can see the brown brickbuilding to the left is a stand-up place called "Latter". Aker Brygge would be Oslo's version of Chicago's Navy Pier or San Fransisco's Fishermans Wharf.

Cobos

If you plan to drive Oslo-Trondheim, the most efficent way is not to drive the main road E6. Instead I recommend road 3. There are connectors for 32 amp 3-phase near some gas stations on the way. Using these you can charge up to three Roadsters at 32 amp simultaneously (if you make a special connector). I try to avoid the public 16 amp charging points because they are too slow.

When I drive Oslo-Trondheim I spend the night at Tynset Hotel where there is a very nice local inventor/electronics guy living, his name is Tor. He offers a connector with up to 64 amp 3-phase and after 6 hours the car is fully charged using my mobile charger.

If you plan to drive Oslo-Trondheim, the most efficent way is not to drive the main road E6. Instead I recommend road 3. There are connectors for 32 amp 3-phase near some gas stations on the way. Using these you can charge up to three Roadsters at 32 amp simultaneously (if you make a special connector). I try to avoid the public 16 amp charging points because they are too slow.

Only if they are red 400V 3-phase connectors. If they are blue 230V 3-phase connectors you can charge one car at 32A but if you connect three of them they must limit themselves to ~18A ((32A*SQ(3))/3). For a blue 63A connector the limit for three cars would be 36A.

Only if they are red 400V 3-phase connectors. If they are blue 230V 3-phase connectors you can charge one car at 32A but if you connect three of them they must limit themselves to ~18A ((32A*SQ(3))/3). For a blue 63A connector the limit for three cars would be 36A.
Are you sure about your calculation?

3-phase 32A at 400V gives you: 400 * 32 * SQ(3) = ~22kW of power.

At each phase you can also draw 32A at 230V

In your calculation you do not seem to take the voltage difference into account.

On a 3-phase 32A connection you can draw 32A@230V on each phase.

In your last calculation your are saying the same: 36A at 400V is 14kW, 63A at 230V is also 14kW.

Are you sure about your calculation?

3-phase 32A at 400V gives you: 400 * 32 * SQ(3) = ~22kW of power.
At each phase you can also draw 32A at 230V
In your calculation you do not seem to take the voltage difference into account.
On a 3-phase 32A connection you can draw 32A@230V on each phase.
In your last calculation your are saying the same: 36A at 400V is 14kW, 63A at 230V is also 14kW.

We have mostly 230V 3-phase in Norway. The sockets are blue instead of red, and voltage between phases is 230V instead of 400V. Voltage to ground is ~130V but nothing can be connected here. There is no neutral, only safety ground. All loads must therefore be delta connected. The max power calculation is therefore 230V*32*SQ(3) for 32A blue 3-phase or 12748W.

If you draw 32A between say L1 and L2 from such a socket, you have used up 7360W. The rest is then 5388W or ~12A between L1 and L2 + between L2 and L3. Or if you distribute the load equally, 12748W/3/230V=18.47A.

When I drive Oslo-Trondheim I spend the night at Tynset Hotel where there is a very nice local inventor/electronics guy living, his name is Tor. He offers a connector with up to 64 amp 3-phase and after 6 hours the car is fully charged using my mobile charger.

Why not ask Tesla to get him a free HPC installed? Would be a nice extension of the HPC Charger network

jkirkebo, thanks for correcting and providing info about the difference between blue and red 3-phase!

Why not ask Tesla to get him a free HPC installed?

Thanks for the suggestion. Who would be the right one in Tesla to ask about this?

What specs has your mobile charger, more than 32A?

40A. I have a US Roadster and a US portable charger.

The problem with my US Roadster is that the 16 amp standard European charger does not work. Does anyone know if/how to get this to work?