Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a 70d yesterday and was very impressed. These cars just seem to be getting better and better. I had driven a 60 and an 85 prior to the release of autopilot and the thing that struck me the most about the new car (other than the stellar performance) was how much more stuff you get for the base price. Since the last time I drove one, yacht floor is now standard, as is the really nice looking alcantera insert on the dash. Then, of course a lot of the tech package items are included now. I tried out the TACC and was pretty much blown away. I know there are a number of manufacturers that offer something like that, but I've never driven a car that had it. I found it pretty intuitive to use and easily set the distance I wanted and the speed. That could eliminate virtually all of my anxiety on the highway:) Next gen seats are awesome and I'm one who needs good lumbar support. I really can't say enough good things about the car. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get one as soon as possible.

I had a basic 70D Loaner for about a week, of which 2 days was the drive from SoCAL to Fremont and back for the Model X event last week.

The one I had driven had no TACC enabled and had coils on it.

It's a harder ride, but quite grippy.

I'll post a review later.

The one I drove was coils as well. I have a few older Porsches, all of which have pretty firm suspension, so it felt pretty normal to me. I wouldn't be in the market for air just on a cost basis anyway. I love air suspension, but I'm going to be stretching if I buy a new car as opposed to CPO. The car did grip very well:)

I test drove a 70d yesterday and was very impressed. These cars just seem to be getting better and better. I had driven a 60 and an 85 prior to the release of autopilot and the thing that struck me the most about the new car (other than the stellar performance) was how much more stuff you get for the base price. Since the last time I drove one, yacht floor is now standard, as is the really nice looking alcantera insert on the dash. Then, of course a lot of the tech package items are included now. I tried out the TACC and was pretty much blown away. I know there are a number of manufacturers that offer something like that, but I've never driven a car that had it. I found it pretty intuitive to use and easily set the distance I wanted and the speed. That could eliminate virtually all of my anxiety on the highway:) Next gen seats are awesome and I'm one who needs good lumbar support. I really can't say enough good things about the car. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get one as soon as possible.

70D is a great car for 99% peoples' driving habits - enjoy! One note, you will not get Alcantara on the dash anymore - they switched back to leather a couple months ago - should hold up better at least. the Alcantara looks nice but not sure it'll clean up well forever here.
-T

e-FTW, did you test out a 70 and a 70D? I'm curious whether there's really any difference in the way the two drive. I live in an area that gets a good bit of snow, but I'm planning on keeping my diesel Touareg for winter duty and towing so I may opt for the rwd.

Really? Mine is alcantara.

Yeah, I have it also. They switched back to just leather on the dash (looks ok too) around the end of June I believe - talked with SC and I was one of final builds to get it in May/June. You can see the new picture of what it looks like with leather on the website in the interior section photos - looks fine and maybe it'll do better with long-term stains/cleaning I'd say. I'm also cool for now though having the Alcantara as looks nice.

e-FTW, did you test out a 70 and a 70D? I'm curious whether there's really any difference in the way the two drive. I live in an area that gets a good bit of snow, but I'm planning on keeping my diesel Touareg for winter duty and towing so I may opt for the rwd.

Technically, I did test a 70D; I had them come to my place to check clearance on the garage entrance, and I drove it exactly 2 minutes to do a U-turn and come back around... So can't speak to the driving feel or performance.
At the end of the day, there does not seem to be much separating the RWD 70 and the 70D, performance-wise. And equipment is identical, some for a minor difference in charge port door behavior IIRC.
And I have many years of driving AWD in snow experience behind me, and would totally want that for winter. But Bjorn's videos have shown us how excellently this car behaves in winter even with RWD. Weight, good tires and infinitely precise torque management of electric drive equals a better experience than with the land barges of the 70’s that gave RWD it's bad name in winter driving. Plus, you have a winter ride already!
I say save 5k$, and use it on options or accessories!

Technically, I did test a 70D; I had them come to my place to check clearance on the garage entrance, and I drove it exactly 2 minutes to do a U-turn and come back around... So can't speak to the driving feel or performance.
At the end of the day, there does not seem to be much separating the RWD 70 and the 70D, performance-wise. And equipment is identical, some for a minor difference in charge port door behavior IIRC.
And I have many years of driving AWD in snow experience behind me, and would totally want that for winter. But Bjorn's videos have shown us how excellently this car behaves in winter even with RWD. Weight, good tires and infinitely precise torque management of electric drive equals a better experience than with the land barges of the 70’s that gave RWD it's bad name in winter driving. Plus, you have a winter ride already!
I say save 5k$, and use it on options or accessories!

In defense of the D though, do consider you get a little more range. Range mode is made for the D's to enable torque sleep; however, in V7 there is some mention of standard single motors getting some type of that feature. Beyond that, if your not going to keep it forever, or upgrade, you'll definitely have an easier time selling a D model as it'll open up much more of the country as potential buyers.

All good points. The range difference seems minimal, but then again, some of the hills around here would benefit from more regen power! All great cars, and it is up to you to prioritize.
I used the 5k$ to offset the autopilot, pano roof and multicoat red.

- - - Updated - - -

In the end, drive them for yourself. Might be tough to get your hands on a RWD 70 or 85, as they just started to show up.
I figured I would not be driving at the limit of adherence very often in CA, and picked the RWD s70.

That's another thing to consider (range). I live in the mountains and it gets really cold in winter. Even when it's not snowing, I have two mountains to drive over (in each direction) and a 60 mile (each way) commute. The extra 10 miles may be needed in winter! I'd rather have the next gen seats and pano roof though:)

Yeah, I have it also. They switched back to just leather on the dash (looks ok too) around the end of June I believe - talked with SC and I was one of final builds to get it in May/June. You can see the new picture of what it looks like with leather on the website in the interior section photos - looks fine and maybe it'll do better with long-term stains/cleaning I'd say. I'm also cool for now though having the Alcantara as looks nice.

Hmm, very odd, unless I am not understanding the comment. My 70D was built the last week in August (finished 8/28) and has Alcantara on the leading edge of the dash. That is, the line shown in the Design Studio rendering divides a fabric section from what could be leather or vinyl closer to the windshield. (I have the enhanced interior option, so I think it may be leather, although it is difficult to tell for sure.) I think I would have preferred the leather all over, actually, for reasons of durability and cleaning, but several people have commented that they like the feel of the Alcantara....

So if the change was made (and I do not doubt it), I think it was made more recently, some time after my car was built in late August.

Last edited:
That's another thing to consider (range). I live in the mountains and it gets really cold in winter. Even when it's not snowing, I have two mountains to drive over (in each direction) and a 60 mile (each way) commute. The extra 10 miles may be needed in winter! I'd rather have the next gen seats and pano roof though:)
Do you have charging at work?
Even if you do not, you might be able to get 120 miles out of most Model S with hills and heating. But I am making uninformed assumptions, that people with actual numbers on loss per feet of elevation and heating can take apart. :)
The worst I can do on Tesla's calculator is 177 miles. 70 mph, 0 degrees with heat for a single-motor 70.

No charging at work. But it's about 120 miles round trip. If I get cold weather pkg and use seats and wheel instead of heat, I should be ok. Total elevation change is about 2000 feet. They are small mountains.

Another benefit ... due to more Torque, the 70D will outperform the 85...0 to 60 Mph in 5.2 vs. 5.4 seconds :cool:

Battery options.JPG

No charging at work. But it's about 120 miles round trip. If I get cold weather pkg and use seats and wheel instead of heat, I should be ok. Total elevation change is about 2000 feet. They are small mountains.

If you binge watch Bjorn's videos (not saying anyone I know does this), you will learn about how much power is used by elevation changes, heating and driving on wet roads and so on.
Unless someone here knows all of this off of the top of their head. But where is the fun in that! Get watchin'!