Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Crash - What do I do?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So, just got to experience my first crash...

I was in a lane, other driver attempted to merge into my lane. I attempted to swerve and hit the brakes, apparently however we still collided.

So... now what? Only one certified Tesla shop in PA, 2 hours away.

diminished value? Loaner Tesla? Seriously pissed.

Pics and video coming soon.
12141489_10206449230002414_6789189531599639879_n.jpg
12115985_10206449230762433_4103441679889272072_n.jpg
12074829_10206449230842435_6469287698142839264_n.jpg
12079184_10206449231322447_3279294615451738318_n.jpg

So, just got to experience my first crash...

I was in a lane, other driver attempted to merge into my lane. I attempted to swerve and hit the brakes, apparently however we still collided.

So... now what? Only one certified Tesla shop in PA, 2 hours away.

diminished value? Loaner Tesla?

Yes, get it fixed. But be advised, there are a LOT of places that know how to work on aluminum bodies. There are LOTS of places that can smooth out a panel without having to replace an expensive part, and a lot of these pictures show easy repair. Get a second or third quote, try the people that work on Porsches to give you a quote. You don't have to drive two hours. Get some repair shop to show you their work.

But get it fixed. In a few months you will be able to forget it ever happened. And as to diminished value? Not so much. Do the job right, it won't be noticeable.

Been there, done that. Good Luck.

I have to take my car to the Tesla SC in Devon, PA this Sat because the rear view mirror stopped dimming and it pulls to the right. (ha since I bought it). (they said try new tires, which I did.. still pulls to the right).

I'd like to drop it off, at the same time, to the body shop which is only 5 min down the road... if i can combine these then I'd be happier.

Good news that it's so minor. They'll replace the bumper cover ... that may require a Tesla authorized body shop as I don't think others can order parts (even something so simple). Hopefully quarter panel can be buffed and repainted rather than needing replacement. Wheel damage should be repairable without replacement unless cracks. Have them check the suspension and such around that left wheel to ensure there's no hidden damage. Be wary of them replacing parts "just because." While it's covered by insurance it may simply not be necessary and I get upset when body shops pad the work order. There are louvres and other moving parts behind that cover but it looks like a light scrape.

Looks like you're stuck taking it to the Tesla shop, as you'll need a new bumper. Only Tesla authorized shops can order the parts. Gonna cost a fortune, probably like $5k. You probably won't get any diminished value for minor damage like this though.

The only bad thing is gouging of insurance companies by Tesla authorized body shops. Someone hit my car when it was parked and the damage was scratches with no dents.

Got whole bumper painted for $6000 and also tail light replaced at Tesla service center.

IMHO whole thing should be less than $3000.

Sorry to hear SabrToothSqrl...good luck and keep us posted.

It's a shame it's so expensive to repair. I really like my car. Hopefully more of them will lower the repair costs.
I plan to coordinate w/tesla SC and body shop so I only have to drive out once. I have another car to drive, but who wants to drive anything other than a Model S? Right?!

Last edited:
I'll be very surprised if you manage to obtain a loaner Tesla. My Model S is in the shop due to an accident that was someone else's fault and the best their insurance company would provide was a "luxury sedan," which they define as a Toyota Avalon.

Yea, I won't bother w/a loaner. 2005 Mazda tribute for me! The bumpers on that are already messed up. Front and rear. If someone hit's me, and pays for those I'd be happy. or at least less ticked off. It's our beater/backup up. Used to haul drywall, insulation, the dog, etc. lol. I'm not putting a $600 bumper on a $4k car. Just not happening.

As for my car: I have the 'paint protect' option. I know that's not an option for new anymore... what will the body shop / tesla do for that?

Yea, I won't bother w/a loaner. 2005 Mazda tribute for me! The bumpers on that are already messed up. Front and rear. If someone hit's me, and pays for those I'd be happy. or at least less ticked off. It's our beater/backup up. Used to haul drywall, insulation, the dog, etc. lol. I'm not putting a $600 bumper on a $4k car. Just not happening.

As for my car: I have the 'paint protect' option. I know that's not an option for new anymore... what will the body shop / tesla do for that?

I have Suntek paint protection film on the area and replacing it will be part of the quote from the body shop. Either they'll do it or they'll contract with the company who applied the film originally.

Least your car is still driveable, so you can keep driving it for the next 3 weeks. Imagine if it was in bad shape so you couldn't drive it, and didn't have another car.

Tesla really needs to back off their certified body shop only policy.

You are right.

Tesla should enact a policy ... simple repairs like painting bumper or minor scratches etc...can be done anywhere or provide Tesla customers more body shops that provide decent quote to get work done and not gouge insurance.

It's a shame it's so expensive to repair. I really like my car. Hopefully more of them will lower the repair costs.
I plan to coordinate w/tesla SC and body shop so I only have to drive out once. I have another car to drive, but who wants to drive anything other than a Model S? Right?!

Granted my car didn't have to be repainted because of a crash, but it needed to go to the body shop for repainting the front passenger-side fender and blending into the surrounding panels. My Tesla SvC coordinated everything for me. I dropped it off with them, they gave me a loaner, and they got my car to/from the body shop for the repair. Pickup was at the SvC. This was also an out-of-pocket repair for me, so that may have bought me some goodwill from the SvC. Good luck Sabr.

Btw, I presume the other guy's insurance is being held liable? I would check out the other threads on diminished value as it will likely end up needing a 3rd party appraisal to get it.