Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tan and grey old-gen seats discontinued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something is missing:

seatsredacted.png

Sadly, still no fabric next-gen seats.

Interesting.

Could the timing being so close to the release of the Model X probably has to do with them streamlining production? I wonder if there will be further changes in the next few weeks

Also... no sign of vented seats for Model S :(

Once again, like with changes in paint color choices, I think Tesla is removing those seat choices that are the least popular, in this case the tan and grey "original" leather seat colors. You can now only order the original leather seats in black. The Next Gen seats remain available in all three colors.

I'm glad I finalized my order last week with the grey original leather seats. :biggrin:

The next-gen seats didn't allow enough air to move around me to be comfortable. If ventilated/cooled next-gen's showed up as an option I'd be tempted to take the change fee hit before my car enters production.

Yeah, I'm assuming they will standardize here soon with just textile and neg gen leather seats being available - making the leather (next gen only) an upgrade cost. Doesn't make sense to offer two versions of leather seats at this point. I wouldn't expect AC/ventilated seats until the next iteration of the model S, say in 2019/2020.
-T

Interesting... Wife and I placed an order for a 70D on 8/22 with the old grey leather seats and selected December delivery (status right now is late November/December). I really hope that we get what we ordered and not some BS 'oh, shoot, we ran out so here's an upgrade to the next-gen seats' because those next-gen seats are an absolute dealbreaker for us (as was stated in e-mail exchanges with our Owner Advisor). The next-gen seats fit me alright but my wife is quite short, which results in the aggressive side bolsters coming up so high as to shove her shoulders forward in a very uncomfortable fashion.

I think the only reason there is still the option of old-gen black seats is so they can charge $2500 for leather seats. People might get grumpy about that much of an upgrade cost, so they kept the old seats as an option so there would still appear to be a two-step upgrade. Now its $1750 to get leather and $750 to get the color you want.

Are the black seats really the most popular color in leather? Or are they the least popular...

Given your username and avatar it's pretty obvious what your first choice exterior was... ;)
Interestingly enough, It's not that straight forward, the name actually has nothing to do with my preference of car colours. My first choice would have been sig red, but I wanted autopilot so that was out, then it was a tough choice between mc red and green, realistically I ended up getting whatever colour happened to be on the first inventory/cpo car I could find with an 85kwh pack and autopilot, it's just a bonus that it happened to be green with tan which had always been one of my preferred choices (I always thought the tan was the best option)

Changes (reductions) in options for seat leather colors

Noticed today that Tesla has reduced the leather options for seats. Now the "original" (non-Next Generation) seats can be gotten only in black fabric or black leather. Gray and tan leather have been removed from the Design Studio, at least for Model S (do not have access to the model X page).

The full range of colors (black, tan, grey) is available with the NextGen seats. Prices appear to be unchanged.

Not sure if this makes my new 70D with grey standard leather seats a collectors item or not (doubt it!) but it does seem to limit the options. I wonder if most people might have been buying the NextGen seats anyway? Or maybe most people were buying black seats?

I am glad we got to order the grey leather because we would not have wanted the black (too hot, show dirt too easily) and I did not care for the NextGen seats.

(Thanks to moderator for merging this with an earlier post on same topic.)

Last edited:
Based on used vehicles for sale around here, 90% seem to have black leather seats (and probably 60%+ are black exterior paint too)
Always thought it was odd as black was my last choice colour for the interior, and pretty near the bottom for exterior as well.

So your assumption is that because that is the color most people are getting rid of, it is the most popular? Hmm. :wink:

Interestingly enough, It's not that straight forward, the name actually has nothing to do with my preference of car colours. My first choice would have been sig red, but I wanted autopilot so that was out, then it was a tough choice between mc red and green, realistically I ended up getting whatever colour happened to be on the first inventory/cpo car I could find with an 85kwh pack and autopilot, it's just a bonus that it happened to be green with tan which had always been one of my preferred choices (I always thought the tan was the best option)

That color combo would have been my 1st choice. I don't think many were made with autopilot -- nice!!