Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Critter 1: Tesla 0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model S since May and it spends most of its time in an urban apartment block undercover car park. It spends maybe 1-2 nights a week at our rural property where it's parked in a car port (undercover but one side open to the weather. We've had our suspicions since we picked it up that the aircon wasn't working but really haven't had a chance to really test this in a southern hemisphere winter... until now, 3 consecutive days of 35 degrees C and suddenly we discover that the car has no aircon. Its been in to the service centre today and we've discovered (after removing the front trunk) that not only was the area around the wipers (under the black plastic cover) full of leaves but that a critter of some sort has chewed right through a cable win the wiring loom that powers one of the valves in the aircon system.
Now I know that Australia is the legendary home to 9 out of the 10 most poisonous snakes (we have 5 of those at our country house) as well as poisonous spiders, poison spitting ants, crocodiles, sharks, irukanji jellyfish blue ringed octopuses, and a myriad other toxic and dangerous creatures, but given the ease of access through the car under tray I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues with 'critters?'

Last edited:
Now I know that Australia is the legendary home to 9 out of the 10 most poisonous snakes (we have 5 of those at our country house) as well as poisonous spiders, poison spitting ants, crocodiles, sharks, irukanji jellyfish blue ringed octopuses, and a myriad other toxic and dangerous creatures, '

And you choose to live there voluntarily?? lol. The spiders alone is enough to stop me from visiting, let alone live there year round haha

Seriously though, I've had mice problems both interior inside the cabin as well as under the hood and trunk and frunk. Damn critters. Someone even had a cat stuck under their frunk (there's a video of the service center pulling it out posted somewhere).

I've had squirrels damage the wiring in my vehicle (non-Tesla), here in the cities. My headlight wasn't working so I decided to investigate, got the front bumper off to remove the head light assembly, and a bunch of bits of tortillas and other consumable trash fell out of my car. They had chewed through the protective plastic shield and started storing food in my vehicle...along with chewing through only one of the three wires from the harness to the headlight plug.

City squirrels are disgusting...there is always food on our roof in the Spring that they had buried in the snow during the winter.

See, and people ask me why I'd never go to Australia for anything... The 9 out of 10 deadliest snakes is my first red flag. They don't call it the common brown snake for nuthin'... Considering it's the worlds second deadliest land snake... Yeah...

Oh and I've seen critters make nests in all sorts of cars left sitting, regardless of whether the car was in an enclosed garage or not.

Jeff

My frunk acquired a mouse occupant after a short stay at BWI, but fortunately I found out and caught him in a trap before too long, so only casualty was my car show infomercial papers and some of my carpet that got turned into a big furball. I do wish they could critter proof the car better, but apparently this isn't a Tesla problem.
Oh and +100 on Australia being a gorgeous place, in spite of the snakes and spiders...

And you choose to live there voluntarily?? lol. The spiders alone is enough to stop me from visiting, let alone live there year round haha

See, and people ask me why I'd never go to Australia for anything... The 9 out of 10 deadliest snakes is my first red flag. They don't call it the common brown snake for nuthin'... Considering it's the worlds second deadliest land snake... Yeah...

I was born and grew up in Australia. As kids, my brothers and I used to catch funnel web spiders in Vegemite jars and send to the local wildlife park for them to collect the venom. We got paid 50c each for each live one we could deliver. You learn to live with the critters, it's no big deal, and should never be a reason to miss out on visiting one of the most amazing places on the planet.