Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas car parked at a Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figure this must be a common thing, but I couldn't find any posts about it.

In another thread, there was a guy showing a pic of his MS at a gas pump. I guess this is the opposite.

Would you throw a hissy fit? Or just shake your head and drive away?

---

20150922_231806.jpg

In another thread, there was a guy showing a pic of his MS at a gas pump. I guess this is the opposite.

---

View attachment 96920

Can't see the details on the sign, but in some stalls in some superchargers, ICE vehicles are allowed to park at the SC stalls at certain times.

Yes, it's called ICEing. Plenty of threads on that subject. Some people have posted official-looking notices that you can leave on someone's windshield if you're so inclined.

By the way, I don't think that particular sign is the one that allows general parking for a limited time. It's the exclusive "electric vehicle charging" sign, so definitely a dick move to park there.

I wouldn't make a big deal about it unless there's a good chance that they will be preventing someone from charging, i.e., the supercharger spots are all (or nearly all) occupied.

The big problem is the signage. Those red signs do not look official. Green sizes with a picture of a car being towed are the official looking ones.

This is our experience at the Lake Charles LA supercharger when we did a road trip from Texas to Florida over the summer. We called the 1800 number listed on the Supercharger and sent them a picture of the extreme ICE condition. They stated they would get with property management. On our return trip all the Superchargers were open. It isn't a convenient walk to the stores so we were thinking it might not be customers, but rather employees of the stores.

Attachments

• IMG_5308.jpg
    IMG_5308.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_5306 (1).jpg
    IMG_5306 (1).jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 315
This is our experience at the Lake Charles LA supercharger when we did a road trip from Texas to Florida over the summer. We called the 1800 number listed on the Supercharger and sent them a picture of the extreme ICE condition. They stated they would get with property management. On our return trip all the Superchargers were open. It isn't a convenient walk to the stores so we were thinking it might not be customers, but rather employees of the stores.

Amazing. I've used the Lake Charles supercharger 6 times this year and never saw a single ICE car blocking a stall. Parking lot was mostly empty every time I've been there. It looks like the parking lot was almost full when you were there, so maybe it was customers who needed a parking place.

- - - Updated - - -

---

Is this at a hotel? Were most other parking spots taken? Just wondering if the ICE car was just being rude or in desperate need of a parking spot.

This is going to be a problem in parking lots where all spaces are used.

Is this at a hotel? Were most other parking spots taken? Just wondering if the ICE car was just being rude or in desperate need of a parking spot.

This is going to be a problem in parking lots where all spaces are used.

Looks like the Denver airport location, which is in a hotel lot and is known for mild ICEing. It's near a side-door, so some guests park there even when other spaces are available.

Edit: addition of photo from my Denver visit.

rps20151006_101436.jpg

Last edited:
There are SpC's where other cars can park (CT has one), and each time I'm there, there are other cars parked.

I've seen DE get ICEd, but when I pulled up, the guy left.

Nothing you can do, unless they enforce towing.

This could get ugly quickly when contention from Teslas alone increases when the Model 3 comes around.

The truck with trailer above parked across multiple stalls definitely seems to be on purpose (there appear to be empty, non-SC stalls behind). Someone did something similar at Harris Ranch, CA sometime ago and refused to move.

This is another reason why setting up SCs almost exclusively on land shared with malls and restaurants can be problematic. ICEing will continue, be it by mistake, because of lack of parking spaces or purely out of spite.
I say throw in some rest areas, national parks, natural stopping points with a view along major highways, etc.
My limited experience with SCs in CA and Oregon shows that there are plenty of areas where I would have loved to charge that are not malls.

The other day I had to wait for 3 hrs for a person to move his car at Tesla Destination parking at a hotel in Las Colinas, Texas. The hotel could not do anything about it because they did not to whom the car belonged.

Finally this person shows up to take his car.

I approached him and told him I was waiting for 3 hrs for him to move the car and he said he did not know what those parking signs meant..???

I don't know how difficult it is to read "Tesla Parking" sign