Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S on Craigslist by me, seems like a good deal but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not bad, but remember that a previously registered Model S will not be eligible for the $7,500 tax credit. Add that back in and it costs $65k compared to a new RWD 70 at $70k that is eligible. A new 70 would have better range, build quality, and performance, as well as all the new autopilot hardware which you could have activated later if you wanted. You could also lease a new car to keep price down and maybe get more options in. You might also want to try asking your local store about new inventory 70s that might have a discount from their minor use by Tesla.

An S70 is $71,250 before rebates and $61,250 after ($7500 fed + $2500).

So for $4K more, you get a brand new car with 0 miles on it and more range. See if they'll take $40K because that's what they'd have to drop it to for me to even consider it based on what I could be a new 70 (not D) for.

Seems way high to me too. The CPO route is better and the S70 is an option if you want new and all the current tech. If you like that particular car I'd just educate the owner on why he needs to come off that number fairly significantly.

An S70 is $71,250 before rebates and $61,250 after ($7500 fed + $2500).

In Texas, the car is only eligible for the $7,500 fed rebate -- there is no additional tax rebate available.
Since this rebate has already been used by the original owner, it should be deducted from the cost of the car that the owner is selling.

@ bigbearballs--Should you purchase a new or inventory car (that has not previously been titled) you could apply for the $7,500 fed tax rebate.

I have seen at least two other S60s for sale by private owners, and they were right at or under $50K.
And they both had fewer miles.
And Leather interior.
Don't recall if they had the piano decor or not.
The trailer hitch is a noted feature, but not worth that much of a higher price...

Good luck negotiating with this seller, or consider a CPO 85, or maybe an inventory car.

In Texas, the car is only eligible for the $7,500 fed rebate -- there is no additional tax rebate available.
Since this rebate has already been used by the original owner, it should be deducted from the cost of the car that the owner is selling.

@ bigbearballs--Should you purchase a new or inventory car (that has not previously been titled) you could apply for the $7,500 fed tax rebate.

I have seen at least two other S60s for sale by private owners, and they were right at or under $50K.
And they both had fewer miles.
And Leather interior.
Don't recall if they had the piano decor or not.
The trailer hitch is a noted feature, but not worth that much of a higher price...

Good luck negotiating with this seller, or consider a CPO 85, or maybe an inventory car.

Yea, I didn't realize Tesla was excluded from the rebate because they have to be leased or bought in the state which Tesla is barred from doing so.

So add $2500 but subtract $1000 because the OP would of course use referral discount from another Tesla owner.