Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comments from Renault-Nissan CEO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BriansTesla

Old school meets new tech
May 8, 2012
AI WA
I thought these comments were interesting, all from Carlos Ghosn, CEO of Renault-Nissan in the last 3-4 weeks.

Carlos Ghosn, chief executive of Renault-Nissan, has suggested that the US targeted Volkswagen to shield its automotive industry from superior European diesel vehicles. In a leaked letter to EU trade ministers, Ghosn called on European governments not to impose austere measures that could hurt the European diesel sector in the wake of the VW emissions-rigging scandal.

According to Renault-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn, autonomous driving might come in stages as more functions become automated and different jurisdictions allow them. He cautioned, however, that someone will always be behind the wheel able to take over.

He also argued that tech companies would be an integral part of the car industry in the future. "We cannot develop this technology on our own."
Carlos Ghosn has been warning tech companies seeking to enter the auto industry that it's not as easy as they think. Ghosn stated that autonomous vehicles are something that needs to be part of the car's engineering at inception, not a technology that can simply be added on to an existing car. Ghosn cited the hiring of talent from traditional automakers by Silicon Valley companies to prove his point.

Do you have a source you can link to?
VW scandal: Renault-Nissan CEO criticises US crackdown on European diesel cars

Image: http://i.imgur.com/Lk8KRod.png
Lk8KRod.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/hgnS3Ap.png
hgnS3Ap.png

Last edited:
The Cruze was designed by GM. GM is a global company. GM Korea,formally Daewoo, took the lead but GM Germany Opel also had input as well as GM Detroit. GM Italy designed the diesel but is manufactured by Opel in Germany.

VW was/is an example of a company that makes all the material decisions at its global headquarters.

With urea injection device system Cruze diesel starts at ~$4k more than a Jetta diesel. The take rate for diesel in the Cruze is about 2% in the USA or ~ 5500 sales per year.

Mr. Ghosn is an Auto industry CEO. His opinions on the future of self driving are suspect. Think of it this way. How much did any top rairoad executives in the twenties understand about commercial aviation? His industry is ill equipped to lead the way to the future. They have outsourced virtually everything but sales, marketing and engine manufacturing. GM, for example had no electrical engineers working for them at all in 2013. A lot of car companies are going to fail or merge. The industry is suffering from overcapacity. Of the ones that survive, many may end up being vendors to new advanced, self driving vehicle companies. Self driving ICE vehicles are at a significant dissadvantage to EV's due to complexity, regular maintenance and the risk of leaking fuel. Here's a stat on that from the NFPA:
U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 152,300 automobile fires per year in 2006-2010.
Self driving is not the same as full autonomy. The real safety benefit comes when the driver is completely out of the loop at all times. That's won't be possible for at least a few years.
It is very hard to build a car, but that won't stop companies like Tesla, the chinese, Google, Apple or others from trying and some willl succeed.

Mr. Ghosn has some strange arguments (or lack thereof) in his statements.

While I agree that many Diesel engines designed and made by European carmakers might be superior to many of the Diesel engines designed and made by US carmakers, I don't think that indicates to the fact that the US is trying to pick on VW just to protect its own supposedly inferior Diesel tech. Why? Well, basically because Diesel engines don't play an important part in the US anyway. And secondly because this time, the US have every right to pick on VW.

I am German, I have driven several VWs and even now we have a Touran Diesel as our family minivan, but even though I might have every reason to be VW biased, I am not. On the contrary, I firmly believe that what VW has done is absolutely disgusting. Our Touran also has one of the affected engines, and especially as we bought it (the Bluemotion variant) specifically for its supposedly eco-friendlyness and good fuel-consumption (and payed extra money for that "Bluemotion tech" package), I am very angry. Granted, the fuel consumption of our Touran is very good, but knowing that the emissions are far worse in reality to what was promised is disconcerting to say the least.

Therefor, shame on VW, and shame on Mr Ghosn for his idiotic remarks. Of course, he is trying to protect his company, but he should rather do that by making sure that the Leaf and all of Renaults BEV models continue to improve in order to be attractive in the market and help foster sustainable transportation. At least Renault/Nissan has some great offerings to start with. Opel for example has just launched the new Astra (main VW Golf "opponent" over here) with loads of tech, but no BEV (or even PHEV) variant in sight.

Mr. Ghosn has some strange arguments (or lack thereof) in his statements.

While I agree that many Diesel engines designed and made by European carmakers might be superior to many of the Diesel engines designed and made by US carmakers, I don't think that indicates to the fact that the US is trying to pick on VW just to protect its own supposedly inferior Diesel tech. Why? Well, basically because Diesel engines don't play an important part in the US anyway. And secondly because this time, the US have every right to pick on VW.

I am German, I have driven several VWs and even now we have a Touran Diesel as our family minivan, but even though I might have every reason to be VW biased, I am not. On the contrary, I firmly believe that what VW has done is absolutely disgusting. Our Touran also has one of the affected engines, and especially as we bought it (the Bluemotion variant) specifically for its supposedly eco-friendlyness and good fuel-consumption (and payed extra money for that "Bluemotion tech" package), I am very angry. Granted, the fuel consumption of our Touran is very good, but knowing that the emissions are far worse in reality to what was promised is disconcerting to say the least.

Therefor, shame on VW, and shame on Mr Ghosn for his idiotic remarks. Of course, he is trying to protect his company, but he should rather do that by making sure that the Leaf and all of Renaults BEV models continue to improve in order to be attractive in the market and help foster sustainable transportation. At least Renault/Nissan has some great offerings to start with. Opel for example has just launched the new Astra (main VW Golf "opponent" over here) with loads of tech, but no BEV (or even PHEV) variant in sight.

+1 and I think we might be even more disheartened here in Europe than in the US because we feel completely cheated by our own..... VW has a MASSIVE marketshare in Europe and you feel really sorry for the owners (including my self) of now basically worthless cars, as the governments are beginning to put up barriers for the re-sale of the affected cars.

/fb

VW has a MASSIVE marketshare in Europe and you feel really sorry for the owners (including my self) of now basically worthless cars...

Well, I wouldn't exactly say worthless, especially as they are now going to be "upgraded" for free by VW in order to finally comply with the standards they were supposed to comply with in the first place.

But your argument of "feeling cheated by one of our own" really hits a home run. VW has always had an image of great cars and great integrity, plus being very eco-minded.
I think part of that image is still valid, but it has taken a huge blow, especially internationally, by Dieselgate. I mean, I still think the e-Golf is the best BEV as far as value-for-money is concerned, and tech-wise only inferior to Tesla's cars. VW has many great offerings, and apart from the emissions, their TDI engines are by my own experience some of the best Diesel engines on the market. But cheating is just plain wrong. If - as is reported - that specific generation of Diesel engines wasn't able to meet the emissions requirements in the development budget they had available, they should have just allowed for a bigger budget or not released that engine at all. Simple as that.

Yes, and one that cheats on the real emissions. It appears they're all cheaters and they want government to let them off the hook, which they no doubt will. Cowards.

I don't think the ADAC quote indicates cheating in the VW sense, but that the European rules allow qualification before production begins using a specially prepared & stripped down car with door seams taped and seats and accessories removed to reduce weight.

I don't think the ADAC quote indicates cheating in the VW sense, but that the European rules allow qualification before production begins using a specially prepared & stripped down car with door seams taped and seats and accessories removed to reduce weight.

It goes far beyond that. The rules allow lots of unrealistic modifications. Those that you mentioned, plus things like door mirrors taken off, tires inflated to crazy high pressures, air intakes taped as well, and of course special engine software settings that would never be used under normal driving conditions. Mind you, that is not the same as the software used by VW, just so-called "optimization" of engine parameters within the limits allowed by the rules.

Conclusion: get rid of those rules immediately and make new ones that force manufacturers to adhere to realistic driving parameters, unchanged production-equal vehicles. Oh and for a novel idea, take the measurements while driving on real roads under normal traffic conditions.