Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four motor Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems logical to me that Tesla will want to come out with a four motor car at some point. It seems like this would give you truly the ultimate AWD possible. You'd have instant control of the traction on each corner of the vehicle and none of the inefficiency of differential gears so it should get more range too.

You don't want the motor mounted in the wheel because of the unsprung weight so they would likely be mounted inboard near the suspension linkages and connected to the wheels with short half shafts.

This also opens up a whole lot more possible space in the vehicle. Maybe you could even have a tunnel to the frunk for very long objects like 2x4 planks that could pass from frunk to trunk.

Rimac Concept One has 4 and it gives them tons of control.

I was told by someone from Tesla that engineers stated they had tried 4 motors, but it was too much power. I think they will need to change the body for 4 motors because 265s in the rear aren't wide enough IMO, and I don't know how much wider you could go in the current design.

That would be very nice. I wish my Tesla had at least a limited slip diff in the rear. Would be a top drift machine. One wheel burnouts aren't nice.. Wonder if it could be retrofitted.

Two motors in the back and one in front would also be a good option.

It seems logical to me that Tesla will want to come out with a four motor car at some point. It seems like this would give you truly the ultimate AWD possible. You'd have instant control of the traction on each corner of the vehicle and none of the inefficiency of differential gears so it should get more range too.

You don't want the motor mounted in the wheel because of the unsprung weight so they would likely be mounted inboard near the suspension linkages and connected to the wheels with short half shafts.

This also opens up a whole lot more possible space in the vehicle. Maybe you could even have a tunnel to the frunk for very long objects like 2x4 planks that could pass from frunk to trunk.

I'm pretty sure it'll happen eventually. As you say, it is the ultimate form of AWD, but it also allows some interesting dynamic handling adjustments...

Honda has been experimenting with this in the RLX hybrid, which has a pair of little electric motors driving the rear wheels individually...

one issue with independent 4WD is keeping the motors tightly enough in sync across an axle to prevent torque steer.
I read somewhere that Merc had all sorts of problems with this in their 4 motor prototype.

Actually Audi E-Tron Concept probably has the better compromise of one motor up front with axle plus two motors at the rear for torque vectoring

Last edited:
It makes total sense for a driving dynamic point of view. But it takes many more parts and gears. Definitely more expensive than a single or dual motor. I don't see a real advantage for the daily driver, but neither does insane mode, yet people pay for it. Many performance features of cars don't help the daily driver much but they help sell cars a lot.

That would be very nice. I wish my Tesla had at least a limited slip diff in the rear. Would be a top drift machine. One wheel burnouts aren't nice.. Wonder if it could be retrofitted.

Two motors in the back and one in front would also be a good option.

I have been wondering whether or not the Model S had an LSD. It sure feels like it does when the rear corrects itself during hard cornering.