Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: I'll Put a Man on Mars in 10 Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Norbert

TSLA will win
Oct 12, 2009
Everywhere
Elon Musk: Ill Put a Man on Mars in 10 Years - MarketWatch Video

In an interview with WSJ's Alan Murray, Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk makes the case for an affordable electric car, the likelihood of his company SpaceX sending a man to Mars, and why he isn't exactly like "Iron Man"'s Tony Stark.

Not much really new, but otherwise interesting. A few words about the "performance" version of the Model S. (Apparently not certain yet, but a goal.)

Last edited:
It would be very cool if the upgrade to the model s sport was mostly software(you would have to have the 300 mile pack of course). If that was the case, Tesla could sell the upgrade to the early model s buyers that don't want to wait for the sport.

Elon Musk: "I think we'll have a [Model S] that accelerates comparable to the Roadster..."

Wow, I wasn't expecting that. I think he has a little technological breakthrough up his sleeve. I know the Model S was going to be sporty, but if a Model S can get close to 4.0s 0-60 times, that would be very impressive.

Model S-sport. Model S, er, S?

Well this news about the running platform's capabilities certainly looks good for the next gen Roadster. But for Model SS I'm guessing that there will have to be some form of weight reduction/ a more spartan interior option/ guidelines on maximum payload/occupants (two adults-weekend bag-no kids) or maybe even a lower energy density/higher power density performance battery pack available. Maybe this will be the USP for the lower range battery packs.

But who knows. Maybe it can be done with software tweaks and a big red button labelled "WARP". Maybe the present design is just electronically limited to its present acceleration rate and top speed in order to optimise range and calendar life.

Either way, it keeps Tesla at the top of the EV powertrain business.

but if a Model S can get close to 4.0s 0-60 times, that would be very impressive.

Being 60% heavier than a Roadster, this would require (roughly) 60% more power than the Roadster currently has. The battery shouldn't be a problem as long as you've got "the big'uns", for the PEM and motor it would be a little more tricky. A 4WD version might be the easiest option as you can more-or-less re-use what you've already got: no need for a bigger PEM or bigger motor. Disadvantage: at that acceleration you can't get much power on the road over the front wheels (but 60% might be possible).
A bigger motor might not be a bad idea as bigger motors tend to be more energy efficient (or so I've read on the Tesla blogs some eons ago).

Being 60% heavier than a Roadster, this would require (roughly) 60% more power than the Roadster currently has. The battery shouldn't be a problem as long as you've got "the big'uns", for the PEM and motor it would be a little more tricky. A 4WD version might be the easiest option as you can more-or-less re-use what you've already got: no need for a bigger PEM or bigger motor. Disadvantage: at that acceleration you can't get much power on the road over the front wheels (but 60% might be possible).
A bigger motor might not be a bad idea as bigger motors tend to be more energy efficient (or so I've read on the Tesla blogs some eons ago).

A bigger motor = more energy efficient sounds good. Plus smaller motors in front for stability, additional acceleration, and: much more regen. I'd guess. :) Maybe that will be the "ultra"-performance version. ;)

Wouldn't totally surprise me if SC had some skunkworks developing a manufacturing technology that would scale to meet the in-situ PV manufacturing needs of a Mars base.

We already know SC has worked with Roadster batteries for PV storage - no grid-tie on Mars for a while!

What if the Mars Model X broke down...can you imagine the cost of sending a (Space) Ranger to Mars (at a buck a mile)? :scared:

Mars Model X will have a trunk monkey ( space edition ) ....
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfat-hB9h7XkELlGW60mQA8Ym3qKqBxeEZrurx_U1m2qOYHRiKSVFG91Q.jpg

Last edited: