Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping Trailer Selection for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the Model X launch event an Airstream was towed on the stage as an example. We are looking for a camping trailer. Our requirements are as follows:

• 2 independent sleeping areas
  • shower/toilet
  • light weight and aerodynamic for good range
  • ample space on the roof to put semi-flexibe solar (single-curvature roof line)
We like to camp in remote places, which makes for long distances between charging and slow charging too. If possible we avoid traditional camgrounds with full hookups.

Choices so far:
1 - Airstream FLying Cloud 19 - $US60k+, GVW 4500lbs, 19'2" by 8' - http://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/flying-cloud/floor-plans-specifications/
Good quality, but heavy. Drag probably ok. limited space for semi-flexible solar panels.
Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 17.45.07 .png
Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 17.45.18 .png

2 - Safari Condo R1723 - $CDN31k., Base Weight 1760 lbw, GVW estimated 2260lbs, - http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes_R1723
Very aerodynamic due to lifting roof, very light, lots of space for solar, smaller, less convenience, new available earliest January 2017
Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 17.50.00 .png
Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 17.46.58 .png

Does anybody have experiences with these or any other suggestions to look at?

During the Model X launch event an Airstream was towed on the stage as an example. We are looking for a camping trailer. Our requirements are as follows:

• 2 independent sleeping areas
  • shower/toilet
  • light weight and aerodynamic for good range
  • ample space on the roof to put semi-flexibe solar (single-curvature roof line)
We like to camp in remote places, which makes for long distances between charging and slow charging too. If possible we avoid traditional camgrounds with full hookups.

Does anybody have experiences with these or any other suggestions to look at?

As someone who has spent hundreds of thousands of miles car-camping throughout every one of the forty-nine states and all of Canada other than NWT and PEI, in my experience - mine, mind you - not yours (or your spouse's) - in a camper the single most horrifically overrated and under-utilized and overall pain in the neck and waste of space and of weight....is a shower/toilet (i.e., separate bathroom). We now have abandoned all that and, for the past four years, my wife and I carry naught other than a porta-potty, which are pleasant enough and weigh less than a gnat's ass and take up as much room. They're available in all RV stores, etc.

So if you still decide that's not for you, at least it gives others who read this some food for thought.

I think you'll want to look for the lightest, smallest and slipperiest unit you can live with (in). Range can't help but take a hit and by the time you load up with your own gear, food, water etc, it's going to get even heavier. I recall as a kid how the camper we thought would be fine on our pickup turned out to be too much for it once real world conditions were factored in. The camper was the tail that wagged the dog and the truck was replaced with a bigger one. I'd hate to see a similar situation in your case!

• Informative
Reactions: int32_t
What About The View?

One downside of the Sport 22, is the somewhat lack of view around the dinette. You travel all the way other there to enjoy the nature, not to sit around in a metal box looking at the galley.

You do need to detach the trailer to get the full benefit of the 180 panoramic view with the 19. But even with the tow vehicle attached, it still soaks in the nature atmosphere better IMHO.

Personally the shower is an absolute must for me. I cannot stand the wet bat, though many experienced/real/hardcore campers will disagree. Just like many true sailor will be perfectly fine with wet bath on a sailboat, where as I specifically look for a good size shower on my charter.

16-FP-Sport-222.png

Sport_22_Mocha_Blue_Front_to_Back_WEB.png

16-FP-International-Signature-19-v.png

First post from a longtime lurker. A company called HILO used to make a hard sided pop. They closed up shop a few years ago but you could probably find a nice used one or maybe even a NOS model. Family member had one about 21' with a slide out but downsized as the kids moved out. A quick search showed that even their 21' models were about 4k lbs.

As someone who has towed a variety of smaller and larger trailers with everything from a 4Runner to an F350, a brief word of caution -- the limiting factor with almost all trailer-towing vehicle combinations is the GVWR and cargo capability of the towing vehicle, not the "tow rating". The GVWR(gross vehicle weight rating) is the total weight that the towing vehicle can bear, including its own weight, that of it's cargo/occupants, and the tongue weight of the trailer being towed. It is chassis-related, not motor-related, and what separates 3/4 and 1 ton trucks from their smaller cousins with similar engine outputs. A 5000 lb trailer will typically have a tongue weight of 500-1000 lbs. depending on its configuration. The MX may be rated to tow 5k lbs, but I don't believe that we have an actual GVWR yet so its impossible to calculate how large a trailer you can safely tow or how much cargo it will be able to carry.

I've made the mistake of buying the trailer before the tow vehicle, and it can get you into trouble.

as someone who has towed a variety of smaller and larger trailers with everything from a 4runner to an f350, a brief word of caution -- the limiting factor with almost all trailer-towing vehicle combinations is the gvwr and cargo capability of the towing vehicle, not the "tow rating". The gvwr(gross vehicle weight rating) is the total weight that the towing vehicle can bear, including its own weight, that of it's cargo/occupants, and the tongue weight of the trailer being towed. It is chassis-related, not motor-related, and what separates 3/4 and 1 ton trucks from their smaller cousins with similar engine outputs. A 5000 lb trailer will typically have a tongue weight of 500-1000 lbs. Depending on its configuration. The mx may be rated to tow 5k lbs, but i don't believe that we have an actual gvwr yet so its impossible to calculate how large a trailer you can safely tow or how much cargo it will be able to carry.

I've made the mistake of buying the trailer before the tow vehicle, and it can get you into trouble.

Based on the data plate on Elon's Car

GVWR 3070kg (6768 lb)

GAWR FRT 1470KG (3241 lb)

GAWR RR 1720KG (3792 lb)

Based on the data plate on Elon's Car

GVWR 3070kg (6768 lb)

GAWR FRT 1470KG (3241 lb)

GAWR RR 1720KG (3792 lb)

That's helpful. Can we assume a curb weight of 5000 lb or so? Model S is 4647 lbs. That leaves approx 1800 lb for occupants, cargo, and tongue weight. Those numbers look about right for a 5000 lb trailer.

Do do we know how range will be affected while towing.

I have been researching this topic for about a month and have compiled a list of travel trailers and associated websites for trailers under 4000 lbs. I'm actually trying to figure out trailers with GVWR weight under 3500 lbs to give us the best range possible for towing with the MX.
Airstream bambi models (airstream.com/bambi)
A-Liner (aliner.com)
Alto by Safari Condo (http://safaricondo.com/en/caravanes)

Casita (casitatraveltrailers.com)
Chalet folding trailers (chaletrv.com)
Coachmen Apex, Clipper, Viking (coachmenrv.com)
Cricket (crickettrailer.com)
Forest River Flagstaff (A frame), Rockwood (A frame), Evo, R-pod (forestriverinc.com/traveltrailers.aspx)
Gulf Stream Vista, Vintage (gulfstreamrvtrailers.com)
Jayco - Sport, Jay Flight, Jay Feather (jayco.com/products)
K-Z manufacturing (kz-rv.com)
Lance (lancecamper.com)
Little Guy T@BS (golittleguy.com)
Livin Lite Camplite trailers, Quicksilver campers (livinlite.com)
Pacific Coachworks Mighty Lite (pacificcoachworks.com)
Palomino (palominorv.com)
Riverside RV (retro look) (riversidervs.net)
R-Vision (rvision.imagegroupinc.com)
Starcraft RVs AR-one (starcraftrv.com)
Thor (owns many brands) (thorindustries.com)
Travel lite express (http://www.travellitecampers.com/traveltrailermodels.htm)
Trailmanor (trailmanor.com)
Viking Legend Hardside camping trailers (coachmenrv.com)
Winnebago Micro Minnie (winnebagoind.com)

We are currently favoring the 16 foot Airstream Sport (the smallest model) with a 3500 lb GVWR, and the Alto by Safari Condo (the fixed height version).

- - - Updated - - -

I met a couple with an Alto by Safari Condo while we were in Portland to attend the RV show last month. They graciously let us tour their trailer and discussed it at length. They like it quite a bit. They have the fixed height version which is similar to the one you have pictured, fortytwo. We are going to call about it this week. It could make a fun trip to Quebec possible to pick it up, but I also have heard that it is very back ordered. We actually liked the Airstream sport 16 layout better than the 19 foot model, and we thought it would work for us (we also need two sleeping areas.) Thanks for starting this topic going.

Last edited:
Towing a trailer will probably be handled just like any other Tesla driving between superchargers when there is some type of range restriction -- be it temperature, wind, rain, heavy load. You will have to SLOW DOWN to make it to the next Supercharger. Driving at a particular wh/mi, rather than a speed, will be required.

The trailer you choose will determine how much you will have to slow down. Weight is a factor, sure, but definitely not the only, or probably even the most important in affecting range. The aerodynamics of the trailer is probably going to be much more important in optimizing range.

You will be able to tow an Airstream or a even boxy trailer equally well as long as you keep your speed at 45 MPH, as the aerodynamics are not as important at that speed. I doubt anyone wants to go that speed. Once you speed up (or the head wind speed increases -- same thing), the Airstream will do a little better than a box, but not much. One of the big myths in the trailer industry is the teardrop trailer, which sells because it LOOKS aerodynamic, and everybody knows that a teardrop is the most efficient shape. Unfortunately, they are not truly teardrop shaped, and just naming them with an aerodynamic name doesn't really help much. They are no more aerodynamic than a box, and definitely less usable space inside.

It really isn't practical to make an aerodynamically optimized trailer. The Cd is going to be that of a brick. All you can do is reduce the AREA of the trailer. A smaller trailer is better. A collapsing or folding trailer is best.

Do beware of the weight of some of the collapsing trailers, though. The HiLo was mentioned, and those are actually sometimes heavier than an equivalent non-folding trailer.

In my opinion, towing a trailer large enough for some of the requirements listed in this thread is not going to be practical. You will have to drive dangerously slowly, or only plan to go a a short distance (75-100 mi) per day, camp overnight in an RV park and recharge fully. You might make it to a supercharger every other day if you plan well.

Definitely do not buy a trailer until you can try towing it at least 100 miles with the MX. Perhaps rent different ones if you can. Maybe a dealer would allow you to try towing with your vehicle, but I would be surprised due to liability issues.

Last edited: