Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if your phone gets stolen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still waiting for my delivery but I was wondering about security. When talking about stealing a tesla with a friend, I suggested that it would be the easiest to steal his cell phone. So what if your phone gets stolen and you are afraid that your security codes are compromised ?

what are the steps to secure your Tesla? Can you block access from an app or log off an app? Or should you call the hotline?

I've also buried my Tesla app and Plugshare app so its not obvious that I have such a car. On my iPhone, I have a folder of apps called "Utilities" and both Tesla and Plugshare live on the 2nd page within that folder so you'd really have to hunt for them to find them. On my Android tablet, I don't have icons on the "desktop" for them, you have to go through the apps menu to find them.

Not really a security thing, just buys me time if my phone gets swiped or lost.

The car can't be started without entering a PIN. The worst that can happen is the car is unlocked. If you still have your key, you can go to your car and turn off the internet connection so they can't do anything to your car. Drive home, log into your MyTesla account and change your password so they can't do anything in the future with the phone app.

This is all a moot point if they can't get past the lock on your phone.

Can you block access from an app or log off an app? Or should you call the hotline?
Step 1: Change your MyTesla Password.
Step 2: Remote Wipe the phone (iPhone via "Find my iPhone", Android via "Android Device Manager")
Step 3: Call Police
Step 4: Call Tesla

Or, Don't do Steps 1 and 2, because on another phone you can watch and see exactly where the car is at any time. Then do Step 3 and tell them where the car is!

The remote wipe/lock functions are quite effective. Combine that with stopping service with your cell provider temporarily and you're golden.

Both the Android and iPhone equivalent wipe commands will wipe your phone the second they connect to any internet connection, so it quite literally is impossible for someone to log into the Tesla app with either command pending. Putting a PIN at a minimum will allow you enough time to put these other security measures through.

The car can't be started without entering a PIN. The worst that can happen is the car is unlocked. If you still have your key, you can go to your car and turn off the internet connection so they can't do anything to your car. Drive home, log into your MyTesla account and change your password so they can't do anything in the future with the phone app.

This is all a moot point if they can't get past the lock on your phone.

What has always bothered me with iOS is the Safari Keychain password is the same as the lock screen password. I would love to have a 6-digit lock screen password and a long, mixed-character Keychain password. If someone figures out my lock screen code, they can then go look at all my saved passwords. I've contemplated moving all my passwords to 1Password now that I hear the iOS 9 can use external password managers.