Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Binghamton, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
This is the thread to discuss the Binghamton, NY Supercharger.

Edit 11/02/15--The Binghamton Supercharger is open! It opened some time on 11/01/15.

Edit 10/15/15--The location has been discovered, and it will be The Spot Restaurant!
(Thanks, jrreno!)

The Spot Restaurant
1062 Front Street
Binghamton, NY 13905

Open 5:00 AM to 11:00 PM seven days a week.

Most of the history of what has taken place before this can be found in this thread:
Help Get A Supercharger in Binghamton, NY – Minimal Action Requested

I'll try to summarize some of the highlights below:

In early November, 2014 Genedr started this thread--

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...d-local-advice

I saw that thread, and being new to the forums misunderstood things and thought that he had some direct ties to the Supercharger Team, and that they were, through him, coming to the forums because they were now actively looking for a Binghamton Supercharger site. I suggested “The Spot Diner Restaurant." I picked "The Spot" because of the great location just off Route 81, easily accessible heading in either direction, and very close to Route 88, while also being within a couple of miles of the Route 17 and Route 81 interchange. I also thought the long hours the business was open and the fact that it was a diner would make it a great choice.

Gene and I corresponded some privately, and the result was that I called the owner of “The Spot”, still under the mistaken impression that the Tesla Supercharger Team was actively interested in Binghamton. It was a great call, and I explained a lot about what having a Supercharger at his location would mean. He was interested in hearing more, and I (mistakenly) told him that someone from the Tesla Supercharger team would contact him.

It was only later, when following up with Gene that I learned of my misunderstanding, and that based on the owner’s interest, Gene would be submitting “The Spot” through the Tesla Supercharger site submission form. Gene and I strategized a bit, and we thought that with both of us submitting “The Spot,” and also writing to the team independently, perhaps the Supercharger Team would take action. After a couple of weeks, when neither Gene nor I had heard back from the team, I started the thread above, to try to basically start a write-in campaign for "The Spot."

Many TMC members helped, and recommended the location. Within just a few days someone from the Supercharger Team reached out to me to let me know that they would be exploring options in Binghamton.

On July 4, 2015 MaturinNYC posted that he had heard from a member of the Supercharger Team that they had selected a site near the I-81 and I-88 Interchange in Binghamton, and that they were in the final design stage.

On August 31, 2015 yobigd20 reported that two weeks earlier Tesla had replied to him saying that the Binghamton Supercharger was next, and would be built by the "end of the summer."

On September 2, 2015 CHRGIT reported that Tesla's "Coming Soon" Supercharger map had been updated to reflect a charger coming soon in Binghamton.

On September 24, 2015 MaturinNYC reported that he had heard from the Supercharger team again back on September 9. They wrote, "Yes, we have continued to make progress in Binghamton and are close to entering construction on our site there. Construction and energization usually takes between 4-6 weeks, so we are getting close now! Thanks for your continued support!"

As of October 3, 2015 we still do not know the location of the site. It could be "The Spot Restaurant", or as others have suggested, it could be SUNY Binghamton, or other businesses on Front Street. We hope to determine the location soon.

And that's the summary to date.

Last edited:
It is indeed the Spot Restaurant. Trench is dug to the transformer pad and the precast transformer box/ pad is in place. Grey Square D boxes are sitting next to the portable storage. I would be posting pictures but my phone is giving me issues. This status as of 6:49pm on 10/15.

It is indeed the Spot Restaurant. Trench is dug to the transformer pad and the precast transformer box/ pad is in place. Grey Square D boxes are sitting next to the portable storage. I would be posting pictures but my phone is giving me issues. This status as of 6:49pm on 10/15.

Excellent news!

Thanks for confirming it!

(I can't seem to edit the first post with pictures, so I'll add them here.)

The Spot Restaurant
1062 Front Street
Binghamton, NY 13905

Open 5:00 AM to 11:00 PM seven days a week.

The Spot 1.jpg

Spot Map 2.jpg

Last edited:
So does it look like the Supercharger is going to be on the south side of the building, part-way back, but not all the way back into the very large parking lot? (That's the impression I got from your pictures.)

Thanks!
I think the transformer and cabinets will be towards the front near 11 and the actual stations closer to the front along the side. Note the main power line is on the other side of Route 11. I'm guessing the power company will have some work to get power across it.

Great news & Thanks

It's great that this is finally coming to fruition! I drove past The Spot exactly one month ago and there was no sign of any activity.
So within another few weeks, hopefully, we can refuel ourselves at The Spot and recharge our vehicles as well.
With V7.0 software, i might even drive from downstate to Binghamton nearly "hands free." Just think of that!

see you at The Spot.

Thanks for the pics. You have a very good spies.

If you can, have the spies keep an eye out for the transformer that should show up just outside the equipment enclosure, that is already being built.

Request already made, I know this game :)
BTW, I think they're going to have to cross the road to get the high voltage line to the transformer.

I was in Binghamton over the weekend and stopped by The Spot to see what things looked like. I was surprised to see a crew of 3-4 guys working on a Sunday. I took a couple of photos and asked the workers when they thought they'd be finished. One said very soon, and another said next weekend. These photos were taken yesterday.
JSTDSC00130.jpg
JSTDSC00135.jpg