Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Volvo XC90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Starting this thread as this is the vehicle that many seem to cross-shop with the X and I thought it might be useful to have a singular place for discussion (and off topic dumping ground for us mods :wink:).

I must also confess to being curious myself. I'd seen the XC90 at a car show and liked it very much. The center screen was nice and the interior definitely felt luxury. I didn't know Volvo was serious though, and wrote it off as a nice concept put out there to distract from the Model X. Glad to be wrong.

I configured one of the e models online, and our options maxed us out 80,705. That was for a nice, luxurious interior, exterior color we both loved, HUD and all the active driver assist stuff the Model X should have. No SW updates and insane launches, but for a family hauler? I think it's good. No FWD, but after I showed her the reveal video, my wife didn't like them much in any case.

So,those cross-shopping, what ticks the boxes for you? What will you end up choosing?

In the side pole test and, to a lesser extent, in the side barrier test, Euro NCAP tells that the side curtain airbag didn't deploy to its full extent at its rearmost edge. That results in less protection than intended for the third-row passengers.

2016-volvo-xc90-crash-tested-by-euro-ncap-guess-the-overall-score-video-99648_1.jpg

Until I dropped my SigX reservation I had not even considered the Volvo. We had an XC90 years ago as our 'family hauler' and felt it was underpowered and ate through rear tires. However, with all the attention it has garnered in the last few days on TMC I will check it out.

Thanks for starting the thread.

Another nice "feature" if you order any Volvo is that with the Overseas Delivery program, you get two fee tickets to fly to Sweden to pick it up at the factory. They also include a night at a hotel, some local transportation, a meal, factory tour and initial insurance and registration fees so that you can drive your new car around Europe for up to 6 months. When you are done, you can drop it off and they will ship it to the US. I was waiting for the plug-in XC90 T8 for quite some time and almost ordered. Then the S70D was announced and I started looking into Tesla. The range on electric for the XC90 isn't as good as it could've been but it would probably work for the commutes of most drivers. It definitely had tons of storage and really comfortable seats that actual fold flat!
146708_2_11-626x382.jpg

2016-volvo-xc90-cargo-seats-folded.jpg

Last edited:
I'd definitely cross-shop the XC90 T8 and the Model X. But because of the EV incentives here, the XC90 T8 starts at 967k NOK, whereas a Model S 70D starts at 586k NOK. The starting price for the Model X is unknown, but it wouldn't surprise me if the XC90 T8 ends up starting at 40% more than the base Model X.

Thus, the XC90 is out of my price range.

I'd definitely cross-shop the XC90 T8 and the Model X. But because of the EV incentives here, the XC90 T8 starts at 967k NOK, whereas a Model S 70D starts at 586k NOK. The starting price for the Model X is unknown, but it wouldn't surprise me if the XC90 T8 ends up starting at 40% more than the base Model X.

Thus, the XC90 is out of my price range.
In the US, the XC90 T8 would actually be cheaper in most cases. It still qualifies for some state and federal tax incentives. I don't remember the exact number but I think they would total around $10600 in Colorado (of which about $4600 would be federal) vs. $13500 for a new Tesla or $6000 for a used Tesla.

Last edited:
In the side pole test and, to a lesser extent, in the side barrier test, Euro NCAP tells that the side curtain airbag didn't deploy to its full extent at its rearmost edge. That results in less protection than intended for the third-row passengers.
[snip]
And more importantly:

.../ In the original side pole test and to a lesser extent in the side barrier test, the side curtain airbag failed to deploy to its full extent at its rearmost edge. This would have resulted in protection for those in the optional third row seats that was less than Volvo had intended. Volvo investigated the cause and have implemented into production a modified trim panel which allows the airbag to deploy as intended. Euro NCAP's assessment is based on the updated vehicle currently being produced and Volvo will contact owners of cars with three seat rows in order to retro-fit the modified component. /... [My underline.]

Source [...that downloads the EURO NCAP pdf datasheet to your computer...]:

http://euroncap.blob.core.windows.net/media/18924/euroncap-2015-volvo-xc90-datasheet.pdf

Just priced one out. I will go check one out today. I feel a little 'dirty' doing it but it may prove to be an excellent alternative to waiting months/a year+ for the X to come out with the utility that my family uses (needs) in our family/work vehicle.

T8 Buye Beware & IIHS Side Crash Result

While still one of the safest vehicle out there period, the new 2016 XC90 actually did worse in the Head HIC-15 measure in the side crash test than the previous gen for both the driver and passenger.

Head HIC-15 is 233 and 82 for the 2016 XC90 driver and passenger. For the 2014 it is 61 and 28 respectively.

Unfortunately we don't have the numbers for Tesla Model S/X to compare to, for this test and other tests (full, moderate, small frontal... etc.). Less vehicle deformation does not always lead to less injury.

Also for the perspective XC90 T8 PHEV, it should be noted that because the rear axle is driven completely by the electric motor. There is only 20% power going to the rear wheel at best.

The XC90 is also on my list, but I will skip the T8 and opt for the T6 instead.

In the US, the XC90 would actually be cheaper in most cases. It still qualifies for some state and federal tax incentives. I don't remember the exact number but I think they would total around $5000-$6000 in Colorado vs. $13500 for a new Tesla or $6000 for a used Tesla
I know it is cheaper in the US. If I was in the US, my choice would have been made much harder, but I think I'd still go for the Model X over the XC90. The utility is definitely better, as well as the interior details and such, but for me, it's simply a half measure. It still lugs around an outdated ICE, and I refuse to spend such a large amount of cash on an outdated technology.

The XC90 T8 does recieve some incentives here; a base XC90 T6 starts at 1,021k NOK, while the XC90 T8 starts at 967k NOK. In the US, the XC90 T6 starts at 50k USD, while the XC90 T8 starts at 68k USD. The incentives the XC90 T8 recieves, however great, just aren't enough to put it in the same price range as the Model X.

Crash bom bang! Looks like the Model X is way better from the reveal pics. The big battery pack gives so much stiffness to the chassi that it won't bulge.
…and how often are you going to go sideways with your Volvo into a 100% solid pole with a massive supporting structure (!)?

Pro tip:

If you ever are going to drive it on ice, then mount a spare set of these winter tires on it:

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV - The most advanced non-studded winter tire technology for drivers of SUVs / Nokian Tires

If you can affort that car, then you can afford a spare set of dedicated winter tires.

I know it is cheaper in the US. If I was in the US, my choice would have been made much harder, but I think I'd still go for the Model X over the XC90. The utility is definitely better, as well as the interior details and such, but for me, it's simply a half measure. It still lugs around an outdated ICE, and I refuse to spend such a large amount of cash on an outdated technology.

The XC90 T8 does recieve some incentives here; a base XC90 T6 starts at 1,021k NOK, while the XC90 T8 starts at 967k NOK. In the US, the XC90 T6 starts at 50k USD, while the XC90 T8 starts at 68k USD. The incentives the XC90 T8 recieves, however great, just aren't enough to put it in the same price range as the Model X.
I know what you mean. I really want to get away from ICE which is why I stopped considering the XC90 in April. Based upon the reveal, I might consider it again and delay going BEV until the Y is out.

Crash bom bang! Looks like the Model X is way better from the reveal pics. The big battery pack gives so much stiffness to the chassi that it won't bulge.

Was the Model X test also done by Euro NCAP or using the same test standard? Unless they are, you cannot compare the results.

Most importantly it is the actual injury risk measure that matter.

Anyways, here the Tesla presentation slide, but given their recent behavior I will remain skeptical until we have more concrete data and real world results.

vlcsnap-2015-10-03-10h27m36s29.png

Last edited:
So I configured an XC90 with just about everything that has value for me (and that is everything except the body effects) including the hybrid option. Configured PDF is here: http://1drv.ms/1LpyiHw

What is has that I value for the price over Model X that would keep me from buying a Model X as I hope it will be available on Model X eventually (does that make sense?)

1. The Volvo XC90 spec page is hard to navigate and I can't find answers to my questions so I'll just list the questions

Questions:
1. How far can it go on electric only?
2. Don't see a towing package, maybe I missed it, how much can it tow/rated/class/whatever...
3. How much ground clearance?
4. How fast 0 to 60? Rollout or no rollout, I don't care and I don't care about HP, I know some do, but not me, IMHO it doesn't matter, micro rant off
5. Why can't I get non-silver wheels? Grrrr

Lot's of good stuff on the XC90, check out the PDF!

…and how often are you going to go sideways with your Volvo into a 100% solid pole with a massive supporting structure (!)?

How often do you need to drive more than 80miles per day? How often do you need to carry large items that require the 2nd row to fold down? Just because the situation occurs rarely doesn't mean that it is not high desired.

Absolutely agree with you on the winter tires by the way. All-Season is fine when it is just cold and dry, or maybe even wet. But once you have snow and ice, there is imply no comparison.