Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"This accessory may not be supported."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
0notsupported.jpg

Anyone else getting this message on their phone?

I've had the Model S since April and never saw the message until yesterday (1 October).

It happens when I plug the phone into the car's power. Initially I see the usual indication that the phone is charging but then sometimes (not always) it's followed by "This accessory may not be supported."

Something new? What accessory? A glitch?

I think it refers to the cable... Do you charge via the USB ports? if so, it's trying to connect as well... try charging through a cig lighter adaptor in the 12v socket

I've always used the 12v socket since I was told the USB ports do not charge very well. Had not thought of the cable though. Will use a different cable the next few days to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Samsung phones (most, anyway) attempt to connect as an installer when using USB. Using the 12v is faster, anyway. I get the same thing when I use my laptop's USB for my phone. In my Tesla, it renders the touchscreen inoperable

I actually get the message in the OP about once a week from the dock in my center console

I get the message from time to time as well but was referring to the comment on charging via USB.
I've always used the 12v socket since I was told the USB ports do not charge very well. Had not thought of the cable though. Will use a different cable the next few days to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The USB ports charge the phone fine in the Model S.

They have a low power output though, so if you're running Waze, the charging doesn't keep up with consumption. The warning message is almost certainly due to the cable though, the USB port is just the power supply, but with every IOS upgrade, more and more non MFI certified cables start to fail. I procure a lot of stuff though China, and they all send me their latest iPhone cables to try, and invariably they're rendered useless within a couple of months.

A couple of thoughts...

I see this message with my iPhone 6 if my battery is charged to 100% (which yours is). See if you get this message when you plug your phone in and it actually needs to charge.

I assume you are using a true Apple Lightning-to-USB cable or a certified Made for Apple one, and not a knock off. FWIW, I use this one from Griffin:

Amazon.com: USB to Lightning Connector Cable, 4 Accessories

which I like because it is black (not the obvious white color that says 'break into my car and steal something') and it stays coiled.

Also sometimes the iPhone will try to make a 'data connection' with a USB port that does not support it (like the Model S USB ports). To prevent this from happening, you can get a dongle that isolates the data pins and only passes the power, like this:

Amazon.com: Plugable USB Universal Fast Charge-Only Adapter for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows Mobile Devices: Computers Accessories

which can also be used elsewhere.

They have a low power output though, so if you're running Waze, the charging doesn't keep up with consumption. The warning message is almost certainly due to the cable though, the USB port is just the power supply, but with every IOS upgrade, more and more non MFI certified cables start to fail. I procure a lot of stuff though China, and they all send me their latest iPhone cables to try, and invariably they're rendered useless within a couple of months.

I see. Have seen that in Roadster with Google Maps but not in Model S. Maybe I just haven't noticed.

The "this accessory may not be supported" error typically pops up because Apple is registering the accessory as being non-Apple. Apple branded accessories have a chip in them that talks to the iphone itself to confirm that it is genuine or not.

In your case, it is a little different. Since you are saying that it has worked prior, something has happened. In most cases the error is actually caused by a dirty charging port. Something could be blocking the pins from making direct contact.

Turn off the iphone. Use a can of air and blow out the port. Use a paper clip to clean off any gunk and lint inside. Repeat this until not dirt comes out of the port.

Source: http://vkrepair.com/iphone-6-parts-diagram/this-accessory-may-not-be-supported/

Hope this helps!

Many iphone user get this annoying, "this accessory may not be supported", message. Just try these out: 1. Go to airplane mode, and then reboot your device, then you will not see this message. 2. Check out forany dust particles within your cable or charging port and clean them, your problem will be solved. 3. If none of the above works, change your data cable.Or check the source @ Fix: This accessory may not be supported - Appuals.com

If your iPhone says “This accessory may now not be supported.” when you attempt to cost it, there may want to additionally be an difficulty with your iPhone's charger, now not the Lightning cable. Take a close appear internal the USB port on your iPhone's charger. ... Make certain you additionally attempt charging your iPhone with multiple one of a kind chargers