Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design: Ugly or Sexy? Prius?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
Friends of mine are in one of two camps concerning design:
1. Ugly (looks too similar to a Prius due to aerodynamic design compromises)
2. Sexy

Personally, I keep flipping between the two - what about you guys? Kinda sad the nose cone is gone, personally.

The X is SEXY! I'm loving the nose. When I first saw it roll on stage it kind of shocked me, but I think it's magnificent. These cars are going to draw crowds once they are in the wild. Imagine the first time a non-Tesla enthusiast sees the falcon wing doors randomly in person. 90% of people probably have never even seen pictures of the Model X so it will be crazy when they first see one.

The X is SEXY! I'm loving the nose. When I first saw it roll on stage it kind of shocked me, but I think it's magnificent. These cars are going to draw crowds once they are in the wild. Imagine the first time a non-Tesla enthusiast sees the falcon wing doors randomly in person. 90% of people probably have never even seen pictures of the Model X so it will be crazy when they first see one.

Thats true. It kind of looks like a combination of the Batmobile from Nolan's Batman films and a Prius to me! Haha.

I think almost universally the back is considered ugly. The front I'm pretty sure most found acceptable. Overall I think "bloated Model S" is the best way to describe the car.

With the new front fascia the reaction has been mixed. Some people love the front, but some think it looks weird without a fake grille.

I think it's damn sexy! I never really liked SUVs but I am now at the point where I would actually rather go for the X over the S - even though I don't need 7 seats.

I also think it is remarkably proportionate. It actually looks smaller than it is until it parks next to an S and you realize it is even bigger. If I compare it to the looks of an X5, X6, Q7 or Mercedes GL, it's not even a contest. The X is much more elegant and screams high-tech.

But this is a very subjective topic, of course.

Can you add a poll to the thread?

wsyFL6m.jpg
5v3PkkA.jpg

No, even if you think it's ugly...it aint Prius ugly. I'm not sure I'd call the Model X sexy, but I think it looks good.

I think almost universally the back is considered ugly. The front I'm pretty sure most found acceptable. Overall I think "bloated Model S" is the best way to describe the car.

With the new front fascia the reaction has been mixed. Some people love the front, but some think it looks weird without a fake grille.

I think it looks fly without a grill. The weird part are the lines and contours of it - I guess they made it flat in the middle segment to better accommodate a license plate?

I I actually like the black more than the white. Also, I really want to see one in "Titanium Metaltic" (Tesla's latest name for the gun metal gray).

I think it's damn sexy! I never really liked SUVs but I am now at the point where I would actually rather go for the X over the S - even though I don't need 7 seats.

I also think it is remarkably proportionate. It actually looks smaller than it is until it parks next to an S and you realize it is even bigger. If I compare it to the looks of an X5, X6, Q7 or Mercedes GL, it's not even a contest. The X is much more elegant and screams high-tech.

But this is a very subjective topic, of course.

Can you add a poll to the thread?

I've actually never started one - how do I?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh lord, I had already wiped that monstrosity from my brain. Thanks for reminding me it exists. >: (

Right? To quote Elon "hybrids are stupid. Just pick one or the other [ICE or EV]" I may be paraphrasing slightly :p

- - - Updated - - -

Hey! You're pretty close to my res # :D

5v3PkkA.jpg

No, even if you think it's ugly...it aint Prius ugly. I'm not sure I'd call the Model X sexy, but I think it looks good.
Oh God! My eyes, mey eyes!!

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, I can't be the only one who sees this when looking at the Model X's fascia.
kXYoJlD.png

Now that's an after market accessory that's just... Wrong. Simply wrong.