Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help tesla realize their vision - vote for federal ev incentives!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VW really screwed up. 11 million vehicles spewing up to 40 times the allowable limit of pollutants into the air. This is air that we share: you, me our parents and our kids. VW intentionally deceived us in the name of profits and I believe it could easily happen again.

We have 15 days to tell our candidates that we want a federal policy to promote the transition to clean, sustainable vehicles.

If you agree, please copy and paste the letter below to your MP candidate and party leader of choice. I also encourage you to share with your friends and family so they may do the same. Social media is encouraged.

This is a serious issue and right now, we have the power to influence policy, get leaders debating the issue, and protect our country from a similar catastrophe in the future.

Thanks so much.

Dear candidate,

The recent VW diesel scandal should be front and centre in this election. We need to take action now to accelerate the transition away from fossil fuels and into sustainable transport:

Volkswagen scandal is a sorry sign of the times

Volkswagen scandal is a sorry sign of the timesIt's time to rethink the way we move ourselves around.
5048615954_3de23d5d0a_z-thumb-640x361-5929.jpg

View on www.davidsuzuki.org
Preview by Yahoo

Elon Musk: Volkswagen Scandal Proves Fossil Fuels Are Kaput

Ontario and BC are leading the way with EV incentives and should be commended. The Federal government needs to develop a similar program so that consumers can vote for sustainability with their dollars. Norway has the best EV policy in the world, with one in three new vehicles being fully electric:

One in three new cars sold in Norway is an electric vehicle

One in three new cars sold in Norway is an electric vehi...Meanwhile, the US registered the greatest number of EVs in Q1 2015—almost 15,000.
ars-logo-open-grey.png

View on arstechnica.com
Preview by Yahoo

Here is Norway's incentive plan:

EV Norway

EV NorwayEVS27 papers Norway: Lessons learned from a global EV success story, Ole Henrik Hannisdahl, Hvard Maggen Malvik, Guro Be Wensaas, Grnn Bil ("Green Car")

View on www.evnorway.no
Preview by Yahoo

All parties should be talking about this very important issue, although some of you may prefer "staying the course":

Fossil fuels get global $5.3 trillion 'subsidy': IMF report

Fossil fuels get global $5.3 trillion 'subsidy': IMF rep...The IMF estimates that governments are providing a $5.3 trillion US “subsidy” to the fossil fuel sector in 2015 by failing to account for its harmful effects on the...
china-daily-life.jpg

View on www.cbc.ca
Preview by Yahoo

Thank-you and Good luck on October 19th!

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quick note...formatting took a hit when I posted. Happy share over email, just pm me.

Last edited:
Yeah, our premier would rather kill himself than have an EV incentive. He's actually killed off several green initiatives that used to be here. I used to get a rebate on my car insurance for having a really fuel efficient car. No longer.

Copy and paste to your MP candidate and party leader, share with your friends and family, as many people as possible. We have 17 days to make this an election issue. Right now, we have an incredible opportunity to support Tesla's future in Canada and become a global leader in EV adoption.

I welcome your feedback on my message below:
That is a really great idea, and I hope EV incentives there become a reality. If you want to send e-mails to the representatives, it may be better to send text only.

Example strong points for why EVs should be granted incentives of $8,000 minimum:

1. They use locally-produced electricity.

2. EVs emit nothing, and are end-to-end zero emissions vehicles when the electricity used to charge them comes from clean energy sources such as solar, wind or hydroelectric systems.

3. Charging costs can be zero when local solar/wind energy is used. If grid power is used, the cost is generally close to 70% less than that of gasoline.

4. EVs are better and safer than competing alternatives such as fuel cell vehicles (FCVs) since EVs eliminate the inefficiencies of first generating the electricity required to produce hydrogen, then transporting the hydrogen, storing it, pumping hydrogen to the FCV, and finally converting the hydrogen to generate electricity to power the FCV's electric motor. Hydrogen is also colorless, odorless and has an invisible flame, so it can be extremely hazardous.

5. Since locally-sourced energy is used to charge EVs, money is not sent to extreme governments or organizations that rely on profits from fossil fuels.

6. EVs are virtually silent.

7. Low maintenance costs are a strong point of EVs, since there is no complicated engine, transmission, air filters, spark plugs or injections systems to maintain.

8. EVs can be charged at home, eliminating the time and cost of trips to gas stations. There are even wireless charging options that make charging an EV effortless.

9. Some EVs such as the Tesla Model S and X have extra storage space in the front, since there is no engine.

Yeah, our premier would rather kill himself than have an EV incentive. He's actually killed off several green initiatives that used to be here. I used to get a rebate on my car insurance for having a really fuel efficient car. No longer.

That's why we need a strong federal policy. Please email your MP candidate if you want change.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a really great idea, and I hope EV incentives there become a reality.

Thanks for the nod on the idea. Incentives will become a reality if enough of us email their MP candidates. Action begets action...so stop reading, find your MP's email, then copy and paste.

And now back to what you were doing...you can relax as you're officially part of the revolution.

I fear this initiative won't get any traction before the election...we're just too close to election day, and most policies have been set and locked down.

I think we'll have to wait to start our lobbying in November.

I predict national news coverage on this next week. VW scandal in current and significant. If we encourage debate, commitments will be made before October 19th.

Please email your MP candidate.

- - - Updated - - -

All the more reason to act quickly on this! :smile:

Precisely!

Last edited:
I fear this initiative won't get any traction before the election...we're just too close to election day, and most policies have been set and locked down.

I think we'll have to wait to start our lobbying in November.

VW news broke just over 2 weeks ago and it's had a massive impact on the auto industry.
There's just over 2 weeks to election...why can't we have a similar massive impact toward making sure it doesn't happen again?

I personally have sent the above email to most national media outlets, most local media outlets, party leaders, and local candidates. It took some of my time, but it's worth it...
I encourage you to do the same.

Here's a guy that might be open to penning a story:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/i-bought-the-lie-now-vw-will-pay/article26535259/

Last edited:
I have some strong feelings around this...anyone want to chime in?

VW Canada dangles customer incentives in wake of emissions scandal | Toronto Star
How about 'pathetic'?

Trying to attract new customers while the existing ones are stuck with vehicles that just dropped substantially in value. Those people should be seeing the love instead of the new suckers.

FWIW, I emailed my local candidates and used the letter as my template. I went further though, and offered them a ride in the car to show them EV's could in fact be better than ICE cars... and show them the panels on my roof that generate almost 30,000 km of driving per year.

Will it do any good? Who knows. What I am sure of is this: the logic of lottery tickets governs! That is, you'll never win if you don't buy the tickets. Similarly, change will never start rolling if you don't lend your weight to the push.

Not the same at all.

The VW thing was reporting an event. ..you are speaking about a political party developing new policy on the fly, just prior to an election...governments rarely make policy based on a snap decision...

VW news broke just over 2 weeks ago and it's had a massive impact on the auto industry.
There's just over 2 weeks to election...why can't we have a similar massive impact toward making sure it doesn't happen again?

I personally have sent the above email to most national media outlets, most local media outlets, party leaders, and local candidates. It took some of my time, but it's worth it...
I encourage you to do the same.

Here's a guy that might be open to penning a story:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/i-bought-the-lie-now-vw-will-pay/article26535259/

VW Death toll being calculated...

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/594...ulate-toll-of-vw-pollution-dodge-over-7-years

VW wants to kill people? I say let's kill VW.

Please email your MP!

Many have already and your support is appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Not the same at all.

The VW thing was reporting an event. ..you are speaking about a political party developing new policy on the fly, just prior to an election...governments rarely make policy based on a snap decision...

So you would prefer to wait until after the election, when this VW thing is long forgotten, to instigate change?

Cool.

Not me.

Last edited:
So you would prefer to wait until after the election, when this VW thing is long forgotten, to instigate change? Cool. Not me.

Obviouly Jaff would prefer change. But he's telling you about reality. The fact of the matter is that it's too close to the election for any of the parties to develop a new policy based on the VW fiasco. If you don't believe him, that's fine. But there's no need to state motives that don't exist just because you don't agree. Time will tell who is right.

Obviouly Jaff would prefer change. But he's telling you about reality. The fact of the matter is that it's too close to the election for any of the parties to develop a new policy based on the VW fiasco. If you don't believe him, that's fine. But there's no need to state motives that don't exist just because you don't agree. Time will tell who is right.
With all due respect:

I believe that success is a possible outcome, but not without effort.
I believe everyone would like to see it happen, so why not email your MP?
It would take about the same time as telling everyone it will never work.

Last edited: