Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem installing a Blackvue camera on a tinted rear hatch window?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see lots of people have done this in various threads, but wanted to make sure no one had any problems. My tint was done several months ago. Looks like we're just using two way tape and that's that. I assume I'll NEVER be able to take the rear camera off without ruining the tint. . .

Any issues? It's not a very dark tint, so no concerns with losing too much light for the video (Hopefully.)

I see lots of people have done this in various threads, but wanted to make sure no one had any problems. My tint was done several months ago. Looks like we're just using two way tape and that's that. I assume I'll NEVER be able to take the rear camera off without ruining the tint. . .

Any issues? It's not a very dark tint, so no concerns with losing too much light for the video (Hopefully.)

They use 3M double sided adhesive pads--very aggressive. If you are concerned, maybe measure out and then remove the tint from the very small area that the rear camera will mount to. Then no worries about damaging the tint in the future

I recently remove a BlackView camera mount from the front window of my wife Volt. I pulled off slowly and carefuly and it did not effect the Photosync tint

I mounted mine on the plastic piece that goes across.
IMG_1969.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Discidium
I've had issues with the rear camera sticking to the tint. Eventually the adhesive failed and replacing it with the black he supplied just wouldn't work in the heat. I also have the sunshade installed.

I switched to a 3M Velcro product and use that now. No peeling from the tint side. The 3M Velcro didn't stick so well to the camera mount itself, so a few drops of crazy glue and one strip on the mount glued and on be tint side the other strip just adhered.

Thats what finally worked for me.

- - - Updated - - -

This solution mounting to the trim wouldn't work so well with a sunshade installed

I have no problem with the tint. The hardest part is that the cable that comes with the Blackvue camera has a right-angle connector that won't fit through the silicone cable guides between the hatchback and the body. I ended up having to buy some connectors and cut off the connector on the cable to feed it through before soldering on a new connector, though I also found some extension cables that would work as well.

I have no problem with the tint. The hardest part is that the cable that comes with the Blackvue camera has a right-angle connector that won't fit through the silicone cable guides between the hatchback and the body. I ended up having to buy some connectors and cut off the connector on the cable to feed it through before soldering on a new connector, though I also found some extension cables that would work as well.

My rear camera cable actually has a straight connector on one end and an angled on the other. I used the angled in the front so I didn't have to fish it around the car. . .

The 90 degree coax connector is on both ends of the Blackvue dual front-rear dash cam. It will fit through the rubber boot/sleeve from the C-pillar to the lift gate frame. You do not need to cut the connector and risk injecting noise into the system as the rear coax carries signal/data as well as power. Maybe search these forums on the rear dash cam install for more info.

Last edited: