Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UPDATE: Towing 3500 lbs for 22" wheels and 5000 lbs for 20" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
Don't recall seeing this change mentioned. If you get 22" wheels then you are limited in your towing. Should be no surprise actually ... not much give in the sidewalls for bumps.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/kqgTqIm.png
kqgTqIm.png

I had hinted at this in the other thread here. I asked the question when I was configuring (since cancelled) and was given a heads-up but asked not to post prior to the official reveal. The issue is as much tongue weight as anything else; if it's basically 10% of the total loaded trailer weight then you're ok but above 350lbs you definitely must take the 20" wheels. I was also told the tongue weight limit is 500lbs, which is about standard.

I had hinted at this in the other thread here. I asked the question when I was configuring (since cancelled) and was given a heads-up but asked not to post prior to the official reveal. The issue is as much tongue weight as anything else; if it's basically 10% of the total loaded trailer weight then you're ok but above 350lbs you definitely must take the 20" wheels. I was also told the tongue weight limit is 500lbs, which is about standard.

Hey Nigel,

Were you told anything else about the hitch config? Is it a weight distribution setup?

OK. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to. I've bought and used one on my Jayco camping trailer. It just plugged into the 2" hitch. There was nothing special I had to do to the vehicle.

I've heard folks ruminate on whether the chassis needs to be specifically designed to support a WD hitch.. not sure if that's true or not... but it would be nice to confirm

In my experience if the chassis of a car is designed to deal with towing, that's it; there's no difference if you use a weight distributing hitch or a standard hitch. For the vast majority of people weight distributing hitches are more to with handling than anything else.

What Tesla confirmed to me is that their numbers are hard limits. No wiggle room whatsoever on the 5,000lb tow limit and no wiggle room whatsoever on the 500lb max tongue weight capacity.

Tongue weight may also vary depending on the trailer and how evenly it's loaded. If you're towing heavy stuff on a regular basis it's worth investing in a tongue weight scale (~$150).

What many people forget is that loading weight into the car behind the rear axle also effectively counts towards your tongue weight measurement. If you're attaching a trailer with 450lb tongue weight put any heavy luggage/cargo you're carrying in the frunk.

New info on towing package and 22" wheels

Just got an email from Tesla this morning. I have configured my X to have towing and 22" wheels. Here's the body of the email:

Thank you for configuring your Model X with the Tow Package.

We want to provide some clarification regarding the towing capacity of Model X to ensure you get the right configuration for your needs. When configured with 22" wheels, the towing capacity of Model X is 3,500 pounds. When configured with 20" wheels, the towing capacity of Model X increases to 5,000 pounds.

Should you wish to alter your configuration to include 20" wheels for a higher towing capacity, please email us and a member of the Tesla Team will reach out within 24 hours to update your configuration.

And people wonder why I haven't configured my Sig #139 yet. It's details like this that continually slip out. Let's go Tesla. Enough with the gradual release of information. Show your cards.
Exactly! This is TERRIBLE Tesla. I think the X is just not as ready/finalized as we hope. It almost seems like the "launch" or "reveal" or whatever was the unveiling of the concept car. I predict less than 3000 production Xs will ship by Q1 2016. IMO they are going to keep changing the config once they realize how demand will drop with the current seats and price point. IMO they are not really concerned with demand anyway because they will deliver very few Xs over the next 6 months anyway.

I received the letter as well.

The performance of the 22" wheels is desired for now. When everyone has enjoyed Ludicrous Speed and photos of Model X are less frequent, then I plan to purchase 20" wheels for hauling or long cross-country trips. I did the same with Model S, and the original 21" wheels are stored in the garage after the 19" were installed. Until then, smaller trailers are the only choices when hauling with 22" wheels.

Looking at the U-Haul pages, the 6 x 12 trailers could not be fully loaded and would most likely not be recommended. U-Haul rentals: Cargo, utility and car trailer rentals

Only one of the very smallest 16 foot Airstream would work with 22" wheels. But I do not intend on hauling a travel trailer anywhere. 2016 Airstream Sport Travel Trailer | Airstream

I am glad they are at least reaching out to people who order 22s and the tow package. That could be an unwelcome surprise! On signature cars, is there a price difference between 20 and 22s? If not, perhaps get the 22 and sell them for 20s once availability is there (at TM or aftermarket).